Anyone ride one?
Seems board is really hiped up
Everyone loves it
Is it all true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is good on powder despite its camber profile. Very decent on groomers as well. A little softer than the Deep Thinker, slight chatter at high speeds but a nice versatile board. Does not seem to master anything though.. Demo it to see if you would like it. I liked it. I'm now accepting donations of this board. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually did buy it without even demoing it just because of the big hipe around it
Thought it was a no brainer

But it’s just an ok board for me
Expected more
One major issue for me is that it seemed very squarely and spins out a lot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Skeketon Key. It’s an absolute quiver killer. You can bomb the hill, ride trees with ease, carve the hell out of it, ride pow as good as my Fish and hit jumps no problem. I also bought a new Flying V Custom V and have yet to ride it because the SK is so damn good. My current quiver is:
158 Custom X
156 Custom Camber
156 Custom FV Twin
158 Custom FV
159 Flight Attendant
156 Fish
150 CK Nug
146 Nug
154 Skeleton Key

If I had to pick one board to ride it would be the Skeleton Key. The end.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Skeketon Key. It’s an absolute quiver killer. You can bomb the hill, ride trees with ease, carve the hell out of it, ride pow as good as my Fish and hit jumps no problem. I also bought a new Flying V Custom V and have yet to ride it because the SK is so damn good. My current quiver is:
158 Custom X
156 Custom Camber
156 Custom FV Twin
158 Custom FV
159 Flight Attendant
156 Fish
150 CK Nug
146 Nug
154 Skeleton Key

Wow. That’s a whole hell of a lot of Burton.

·
Registered
50 Posts
158 Custom X
156 Custom Camber
156 Custom FV Twin
158 Custom FV
159 Flight Attendant
156 Fish
150 CK Nug
146 Nug
154 Skeleton Key

Starting to look at several review about some freeride powder boards...
Since I got discount from Burton, I did read good stuff about the Flight and lately about the Skeleton. SK little less expensive and more surfy.

Getting older now and realized this season after I've tried from demos some freeride powder board that this may be the kind of board my life need instead of a freestyle board.

From what I've tried, libTech Cold Brew, Ride MntPig, Nidecker Area serie and Jones Hovercraft.

I know you wrote that SK hand down from your personal list but between the SK and FA?

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Starting to look at several review about some freeride powder boards...
Since I got discount from Burton, I did read good stuff about the Flight and lately about the Skeleton. SK little less expensive and more surfy.

Getting older now and realized this season after I've tried from demos some freeride powder board that this may be the kind of board my life need instead of a freestyle board.

From what I've tried, libTech Cold Brew, Ride MntPig, Nidecker Area serie and Jones Hovercraft.

I know you wrote that SK hand down from your personal list but between the SK and FA?

Flight Attendant is: more twin, a little softer (depends how you size the boards), more poppy, more playful. Ok in pow. More of a jumpy, playful freestyle all mountain board with a bit of freeride intent.

Skeleton Key: much more directional, wider, more stable over chop (ie more damp ie less poppy); less playful from a freestyle point of view, but very agile. Great edge hold and superb on groomers. Ok in pow. More of a charging, stable all mountain freeride but kind of agile and versatile board.

So if you want jumps, riding switch and a generally freestyle approach that will manage pow decently... Flight Attendant is better.
If you want more of a directional carving and groomers fun board that will manage pow decently... SK is better.

And then you have the Stun Gun... the same poppy and playful personality as the Flight Attendant, but with how directional the SK is. And it's super in pow, not just ok. BUT it has less edge hold than both the SK and FA.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Skeketon Key. It’s an absolute quiver killer. You can bomb the hill, ride trees with ease, carve the hell out of it, ride pow as good as my Fish and hit jumps no problem.

interesting. i've got a skeleton key as well but i'm always looking for my next board. how do you find that little tail, in the context of park jumps / spinning?

and howcome you dont have a deep thinker in your lineup?

Skeleton Key: much more directional, wider, more stable over chop (ie more damp ie less poppy); less playful from a freestyle point of view, but very agile. Great edge hold and superb on groomers. Ok in pow. More of a charging, stable all mountain freeride but kind of agile and versatile board.

So if you want jumps, riding switch and a generally freestyle approach that will manage pow decently... Flight Attendant is better.
If you want more of a directional carving and groomers fun board that will manage pow decently... SK is better.
yet another good bit of insight - thanks F1EA. making me think i should NOT detune my skeleton key, if one of it's biggest assets is carving ability [TBH i bought mine at a super price, so figured it would be my f7ck around play board.... perhaps that's misguided of me]

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
interesting. i've got a skeleton key as well but i'm always looking for my next board. how do you find that little tail, in the context of park jumps / spinning?

and howcome you dont have a deep thinker in your lineup?

yet another good bit of insight - thanks F1EA. making me think i should NOT detune my skeleton key, if one of it's biggest assets is carving ability [TBH i bought mine at a super price, so figured it would be my f7ck around play board.... perhaps that's misguided of me]

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't detune it. :D

On the contrary, keep those edges sharp. Unless you're only using it in pow... in which case, don't detune it, but dont worry much about sharpening either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Flight Attendant is: more twin, a little softer (depends how you size the boards), more poppy, more playful. Ok in pow. More of a jumpy, playful freestyle all mountain board with a bit of freeride intent.

And then you have the Stun Gun... the same poppy and playful personality as the Flight Attendant, but with how directional the SK is. And it's super in pow, not just ok. BUT it has less edge hold than both the SK and FA.
Thanks for the input. With your description, will look toward the SK for next season, but will read about the Stun Gun as well.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Thanks for the input. With your description, will look toward the SK for next season, but will read about the Stun Gun as well.

Yeah, SK if you want more edge hold and groomer performance. SG if you want more pow performance.
Flight Att if you want more of a twin freestyle vibe... but the 3 are pretty versatile boards you can ride day to day if you're not a park rat.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Unfortunately your take on both boards is false. The FA is an all around beast. It carves well, it blows through chop, it’s incredibly stable in deep pow and does very well with drops. It is about as playful as a Siberian tiger with a stick up it’s ass.

The SK is a fantastic all mountain charger. It’s washy compared to the FA, but its extremely responsive in the trees. Turns on a dime. It’s fantastic in powder. It is not ideal on drops, the tail is too short which makes it hard to ride away from hard impacts. Better than my Fish imo. I just got back from a week in Utah and I rode all 3 boards back to back. I’m retiring the fish after riding the FA in 2’ of powder. We had pow every day 6 days in a row. I would ride the FA in the am in fresh pow and would switch to the SK for after lunch tree laps. Perfect combo.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just got back from japan!!!!

hey all, thought i would add my 2 cents.

just got back from a month in Japan, to which i carried two decks - Burton Deep Thinker 157W, and Skeleton Key 158.

i've got my thoughts on the DT, but given that this is a SK thread, i thought i'd add my 2 cents.

i took the advice of F1EA, and opted to NOT detune the edges whatsoever - thanks for that, F1EA! i'm glad i actually listened for once.

i bought that board on a solid discount from my local board shop, and because of the cheap price, figured i'd make it somewhat of an all mountain do everything [inc. park] board - i initially set it up centered within the side cut, and almost ate serious sh7t on the first day, riding it switch on firm groomed, haha

it didnt take too much time on it, to realise that i was doing it wrong - that i had to actually ride this board the way it was meant to be ridden.

now, granted, i am on perhaps a size too small - i would have loved to be on the 162 [because you dont really need proper snowboards at my shitty local hill - Mt Buller - i've been buying undersized boards and getting away with it there, for like half a decade].

however, set up properly - as in, set back half an inch from reference [plus more on the back foot - my freeride stance is 58cm], with positive angles on both front AND rear bindings [22.5 front, 5 rear], this thing is a powder and carving BEAST!!!!!!

even though it's an early spring in Hokkaido, the snow gods gifted me a few pow days in the last week [two days ago i was getting face shots on "out of bounds" runs [my local hill is fine with people going out of bounds, their philosophy being that everyone should be able to ride the mountain freely ], and even though it's a size too small, it still holds an edge insanely well - full circle carves and riding back up hill, all day!!!!!

some other [not so concise] observations:
*set back, this board really comes to life. the nose sits up above pow, and even though the tail is now super short, it's still stiff enough to hold its own, so that when you go into a carve, it'll lay trenches solidly. i'm actually stoked at how well it holds an edge - i've never been into "carving", but have now found a new love, when it comes to something fun on the hill - carving rules!!!!
*board is relatively light, and VERY nimble under foot - edge to edge is super quick, and kicking that tail down in powder [so as to wash off speed], is effortless.
*board has good enough pop for ollying. i'm a skate-style ollier, but this board handled it well, and i didnt get off kilter more than a couple of times, and that was when i was getting used to it.
*yes, the tail might be short, especially when set back, but it's stiff enough that it's got some substance - it will have your back.
*you can feel the taper between the nose and tail - it makes turn transition SO pleasant, and feels like it adds to the boards ability to stay locked in once you're on edge.
*despite this, it doesn't feel like you're being held hostage to the turn - if you want to exit mid-arc, go for it - you will be able to adjust your line and re-lay your edge, super quick. it's pretty forgiving.
*the channel, ohhhhh the channel - i've never ridden a board with the channel before [other than the Deep Thinker i've got]. i used hex-head bolts instead of the burton ones [so, tighten with an allen key - and i swear i must be doing SOME damage to the boards, given how much i crank that allen key, but they are still holding up well after a month of abuse]. the channel is SO fcking good - given my feet issues, and my anal-retentiveness with stance, the channel made dialling things in, SUPER easy. a bit too wide? cool - slide it over a few mm. need to be a bit more open? cool - open the bindings up 1.5 degrees. i love the versatility of the channel, and i am never going back to standard 4x2 pattern - the channel [combined with my cartel EST with the hinge] is just too flipping good!
*FOR ANYONE IN DOUBT ABOUT THE CHANNEL - i am a heavy guy. i smash my boards hard [good leg strength]. NOT ONCE, did the channel slip - yes, i use a long arm allen key to lock my shit down REALLY tight, but so far they have not slipped once, the core above the channel has not compressed, yes there are slight compressions in the upper part of the channel itself [looks like wear, more than anything], and yeah. if you are in doubt about the durability and hold-strength of the channel, i'd like to remind you that it's 2019 now. the shit is solid.

i get that a dedicated powder device like a moss, a gentemstick, or a field earth, are going to be better for dedicated pow fiends. however, in the skeleton key, i really feel like i've found a board that does valiantly in pow, still gives me good face shots and short sharp turns, and yet can hold an edge like a beast. i'm always open to suggestion, however in my quest to cull my quiver down from 7 boards into a quiver of 2 [pow/carving deck + all in one freestyle/park deck], i feel the SK has found a place in my ideal travel quiver.

the SK rocks. get one!!!! [except for if you're in australia - keep buying unions and capitas or salomons pls]

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow , that's a solid review. Thanks for it. I was convinced to get one next year but you truly gave me the excitement to be on it already for next season.

And the Cartel, they are a good match for the SK? Several review were suggesting them too.

For thoses wondering, the 2020 is totally in my taste of colors, with my patroller coat, it will be a perfect match

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow , that's a solid review. Thanks for it. I was convinced to get one next year but you truly gave me the excitement to be on it already for next season.

And the Cartel, they are a good match for the SK? Several review were suggesting them too.

hey D3tro how's things? yeah, time goes too quickly. if you were considering getting one, i would jump on it sooner rather than later - i know my review shows this, but might i reiterate that i was very, very impressed with the board? haha.

Hmmmm. Bindings. I've already got K2 Liens and Malavita ReFlex, and never thought i would go with the Cartel [however they were on sale, and touted as on the stiffer end of the Burton lineup, which i thought would be a good fit for the board].

I feel that the Cartel ESTs work really, really well with the board - the Cartels are relatively light, they have the hinge, the ankle straps are more supportive than on my Malavitas [could really feel the extra structure on toeside carves], and that Gettagrip toe cap is the best toe cap i've ever used [and that's a big sell, given that once upon a time, i was a Flux fanboi].

Additionally, i felt that the high back [with ample forward lean for carving] always had enough substance, to be able to lean on it to get into heelside carves - it never felt too soft, but never felt uncomfortably stiff, either - it felt trusty and reliable, if anything.

And the hinge - the whole binding unit felt like i was closer to the board, riding the board, rather than being strapped into bindings with a solid baseplate, which is then on top of the board [think Flux]. it felt very, very natural and quite free, whilst at the same time being supported where i needed it.

Sure, there are things like the Genesis X EST and the XBase, but i felt that they were a little... hefty in price, given how my intent for the board / requirement for versatility from the binding [i wanted something i could mount to my pow/carver one day, then mount on my park deck the next].

The Cartels were a fantastic fit. Note: my definition of fantastic = you mount it up and just ride, and never have thoughts that you're being let down, that something is cumbersome, that something isn't doing its job - everything is back of mind, so that you can simply RIDE.

Get 'em, you won't be disappointed at the combo of SK + Cartel EST

1 - 20 of 34 Posts