Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Yea...Timberline @ Mt Hood probably...Palmer glacier is open more or less all spring/summer weather permitting...although they close it in the Fall for a month or two usually to do maintenance and other things on all the lifts before winter season starts. And as i understand it a lot of the terrain is closed off for the various Ski teams, etc during different times...

http://www.timberlinelodge.com

You can youtube videos of people up there...

·
Registered
2,106 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Timberline isn't double black up on Palmer. It's only as steep as a west blue run on the glacier and unless you are practicing freestyle it gets pretty boring. My girlfriend and I just bought unlimited spring passes for $109 and they are good until May 31st, so if you plan ahead it isn't THAT expensive.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd guess Hood, but Mammoth has a pretty bitchin long season. Some seasons have started in Nov and went all the way until the 4th of July. Last season ended with Memorial Day. This season had a cock tease opener in October, but really opened Nov. 12. It's shaping up to be a nice long season. Heading in to March now we've got an 11-14 1/2 ' base and climbing! :D

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Hood/Whistler if you're counting summer camps

Bachelor used to be open from thanksgiving to the 4th of July every year till they became cheapskate money whores - they still get the snow to do it

A

·
0 Posts
^ a ski resort has to base their business on traffic. you can have the best spring conditions on the planet but if 3 guys are coming to ride every day, you can't possibly expect a resort to run operations. criticising a resort for closing due to traffic even if the conditions are great is lame.

in their shoes, you'd do exactly the same thing.

alasdair

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hood/Whistler if you're counting summer camps

Bachelor used to be open from thanksgiving to the 4th of July every year till they became cheapskate money whores - they still get the snow to do it
is whistler only on the glacier in the summer or is there snow on other parts of the mtn?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
^ a ski resort has to base their business on traffic. you can have the best spring conditions on the planet but if 3 guys are coming to ride every day, you can't possibly expect a resort to run operations. criticising a resort for closing due to traffic even if the conditions are great is lame.
I don't see anyone criticising.

The OP only asked which area stayed open the longest, not which had enough snow to stay open but didn't because of guest visits.;)

My home area falls into this situation almost every season. Tons of snow but we close for good in early May because people stop coming up. Good thing T-Line is right across the canyon.:D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mt Hood/Whistler FTW.

Palmer at TImberline is actually not on a glacier, it's on a snowfield. Spring/summer conditions are corn snow and slush. Timberline classifies Palmer as a black diamond, but most of it is groomed and no steeper than many blues in the west.

Timberline is open most of the year, with the exception of one month in the fall for maintenance. The lower mountain usually opens in December (opened mid-November this year, mid-December last year) and runs through May/early June. My season pass expires on May 31st. Palmer opens in the spring when the weather warms up a bit and remains open through the fall.

A

·
0 Posts
I don't see anyone criticising.

The OP only asked which area stayed open the longest, not which had enough snow to stay open but didn't because of guest visits.;)
perhaps i read this differently but tahts' what it sounds like to me:
alasdair

1 - 20 of 20 Posts