Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skinned up about 3000' vertical for.my first skin today. Holy fucking shit it's tiring. the snow was crust On 2' powder, the riding was tough. The skinning was awesome. My sparks afterburner were very easy to use but I lost a screw somewhere along the.line. The board is nowhere near as responsive as what I'm used to.

·
Registered
730 Posts
what board were you on Argo? Skinning on crust....:thumbsup: Riding on crust....:thumbsdown: hahahaha

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
noop tips for skinning:

weight your steps on your heel, not the balls of your feet - especially important the steeper it gets.

something that can help this as well as general leg fatigue while skinning is to concentrate on lifting your weight from each step with your butt muscles instead of your quad/calf. you have to consciously think about it while you're hiking at first but it helps in the long run.

learn switchbacking and kickturns.

use your inside edges; when skinning up most people switch board halves so that the sidecut edges are to the inside of your feet...

bring your split crampons for when it gets firm.

learn when to say fuck it and bootpack.

:thumbsup:

edit: focus on breathing;

try and start at a pace you can keep - don't burn yourself out right out of the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vail up to the top of chair 4 from lionshead village. Some great fresh snow in some places, no-one out.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got to 35-45 degree slopes it was a challenge with slippage but I learned really fast to keep my weighted ski fully weighted and make quick switches of weight to avoid slipping. Fortunately I was with an experienced Tele skier that gave me some tips. I think my fatigue made the ride down so much worse.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what board were you on Argo? Skinning on crust....:thumbsup: Riding on crust....:thumbsdown: hahahaha
Yeah man. I would be cruising in knee deep pow then get shinned with a layer of ice.... Glad it was deep enough to throw a sweet tomahawk.

Jones solution with sparks afterburner and g3 skins.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am working all weekend. Slamming out hours for the ot before our epic race. Latter in the winter I'll be down for sure. I worked today too actually. Vail is just the backyard though...

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Yeah man. I would be cruising in knee deep pow then get shinned with a layer of ice.... Glad it was deep enough to throw a sweet tomahawk.

Jones solution with sparks afterburner and g3 skins.
if you end up finding that slippage is a problem over the course of the season, keep in mind that the BD/Voile skins DO grip better than the g3/sparks - although heavier.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Got any pics from today?

Couple of followup questions: What's Vail's uphill travel policy for early season? Run into any snowmaking equipment?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing from anywhere interesting and deeper into the hike. I was too tired to care...... This is only like 1200' up from the base before cutting to midvail. Snow was deeper than expected. Trying to get in shape for season and this is another great way to do it.....:D. Tele chick is up front, wife and another girlfriend ahead of me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a good time. Got any pics from today?

Couple of followup questions: What's Vail's uphill travel policy for early season? Run into any snowmaking equipment?
No issue, there was some on the main runs but they have never stopped anyone I know. They just cut off auto traffic with the 1' snow we had yesterday. Used to be able to drive to the base go chair 10 and park. They Just closed the gate last night.....

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
I am working all weekend. Slamming out hours for the ot before our epic race. Latter in the winter I'll be down for sure. I worked today too actually. Vail is just the backyard though...
I'll be doing Vail pass too. Lower elevation, needs a little more snow. Might be good by December with the way this season is setting up so far. Bert really is the spot. But VP is a pillow smashing good time.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I always wondered what it would be like to ride Vail before it opens. If you ever get a break from your work schedule, are planning on skinning up vail, and need someone to ride with, give me a holler. I can make it out most weekdays with one or two days notice.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The next planned skin is in two weeks but night riding under the full moon. I may break out for some pow if this next storm is a producer....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts