Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new boots that will fit my skinny ankles and narrow heels well. I just got hooked up with sizing confirmation from Wired and now need to start the search for a proper fitting boot.

I currently have size 10 Ride Lasso's (1/2 size too big) that worked well enough until the BOA's would no longer hold tight. They got so bad I would have to tighten them down every run, sometimes multiple times per run. I replaced the dials and they still wouldn't hold. As you can imagine, I am hesitant to get another pair with BOA's, but I am open to it if enough of you can vouch for them. These issues started after less than 10 days of use.

I live in Florida and only have one ski/board shop near me (Peter Glenn). I plan to go there soon to try on whatever they have, but I know their selection is pretty narrow. I will most likely take advantage of Evo's free shipping and return shipping to try as much as I can.

So, can anyone help me out with recommendations for a good boot for skinny ankles and heels?

Size 9.5, D Width.

THANKS!

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
get some full butterfly wraps and some tongue shim/padding. The wraps to take up volume of your skinny ankles and make pockets for your heel and then the tongue shim to push your foot/ankle/heel into the pocket.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
get some full butterfly wraps and some tongue shim/padding. The wraps to take up volume of your skinny ankles and make pockets for your heel and then the tongue shim to push your foot/ankle/heel into the pocket.

^this^

Excellent resource for boot fitting mods.

Also, if you're confused about just what to do with those pads & shims? Check out Angrysnowboarder's Boot-fitting 101 series on his site, http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/?s=Boot+fitting+101

...or search for them on YouTube. He covers just about every conceivable type of boot fiiting issue you might have. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hell yeah, solid options. I will give both a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am looking for new boots that will fit my skinny ankles and narrow heels well. I just got hooked up with sizing confirmation from Wired and now need to start the search for a proper fitting boot.

I currently have size 10 Ride Lasso's (1/2 size too big) that worked well enough until the BOA's would no longer hold tight. They got so bad I would have to tighten them down every run, sometimes multiple times per run. I replaced the dials and they still wouldn't hold. As you can imagine, I am hesitant to get another pair with BOA's, but I am open to it if enough of you can vouch for them. These issues started after less than 10 days of use.

I live in Florida and only have one ski/board shop near me (Peter Glenn). I plan to go there soon to try on whatever they have, but I know their selection is pretty narrow. I will most likely take advantage of Evo's free shipping and return shipping to try as much as I can.

So, can anyone help me out with recommendations for a good boot for skinny ankles and heels?

Size 9.5, D Width.

THANKS!

Salomons and Nikes have worked well for me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don’t think its really your boot nor the boa system's fault. You were in boots that were too big for you to begin with and probably packed out even more. First get into properly fitting boots. Then use the pads, j-bars, and shims to dial in the fit and comfort. They are not always the magic cure-alls to reduce the size of ill-fitting boots.

I also have skinny ankles and narrow heels. I previously wore Burton Ions fitted with their j-bars and they were great. Then I tried on the Photons that have the lockdown boa lacing that tighten around the heels. These things physically tighten the back of the ankle and really grab the heels from the sides, as opposed to simply pushing down on your ankle from the front as most other boot designs do. One drawback is that this lace is part of the upper lace and over tightening will almost certainly be painfully uncomfortable at the heels. This is where some shin shims really improved the overall comfort both at the calves and down around the ankles. Too bad the Photons aren’t as stiff as I’d like them to be, so I am continuing my search. But for those that are ok with 6-7-ish stiffness and with narrow ankles, these are great at locking down the heels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
nike kaijus, nitro select, nidecker talon all work well for skinny ankles & narrow heels. kaijus are most likely out for obvious reasons. the tls lacing system on the nitros suck, so if you can get the trad lace version the actual boots are solid. i'm only on my first pair of talons so have not put them through the wringer to see how they stack up, yet ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm going to start hunting this week.

Does anyone have experience with the 32 TM-Two's? I found last year's model (traditional lace) in my size for $200. I might start there...

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Also barefoot measurement with your keel kicked against a wall in cm = your mondo point size and will be the size you need. Measure across the widest part and find the conversion chart to get your actual width in letters.
If you think 9.5 will be the one I bet it's even smaller.
If Wired sees this he'll help you.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I have the same issue. My solution was literally the Solution. Just buy a boot with a removable liner and insert these. Do note that they will make any boot considerably stiffer, so boot shop accordingly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also barefoot measurement with your keel kicked against a wall in cm = your mondo point size and will be the size you need. Measure across the widest part and find the conversion chart to get your actual width in letters.
If you think 9.5 will be the one I bet it's even smaller.
If Wired sees this he'll help you.
Wired already hooked me up with sizing (y)(y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same issue. My solution was literally the Solution. Just buy a boot with a removable liner and insert these. Do note that they will make any boot considerably stiffer, so boot shop accordingly.

Thanks for the tip, I never considered this option. Are liners a universal size fit? Will a 9.5 Solution liner fit any size 9.5 boot? What boots are you currently wearing?

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I never considered this option. Are liners a universal size fit? Will a 9.5 Solution liner fit any size 9.5 boot? What boots are you currently wearing?
Yeah, they're pretty universal fit. I wear size 10 TM2s with size 10 Solution liners.

As for your BOA question, I don't use them. I like traditional lace boots.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too am on the hunt for good boots for narrow heels and skinny ankles, Ive been trying out a bunch before I make my final decision.

Salomon synapse is probably the most accommodating towards a skinny foot, boot quality felt great, mid stiff, these are double boa which Im starting to think as much as I like the convenience of boa, it just doesn't work great with my foot

Flow talon, another double boa, fits well for a skinny foot, the quality on this boot seemed seriously heavy duty, I like a stiffer boot, but this was a little too stiff for me

Vans Infuse, hybrid lace boa combo, this is the boot that is in the lead for me right now. Hugs my foot great, awesome build quality, removable tongue stiffeners, no hot spots due to the laces being on the top of my foot as opposed to boa cables, and seriously comfortable.

Still 2 more boots I want to try before I decide 100% on the infuse is the Ride Fuse, I hear nothing but good things about these boots, I called ride and they confirmed it's the only boot they make with a narrower heel pocket, and the vans aura pro even tho I think they will be too soft.

Good luck let us know what you go with!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I too am on the hunt for good boots for narrow heels and skinny ankles, Ive been trying out a bunch before I make my final decision.

Salomon synapse is probably the most accommodating towards a skinny foot, boot quality felt great, mid stiff, these are double boa which Im starting to think as much as I like the convenience of boa, it just doesn't work great with my foot

Flow talon, another double boa, fits well for a skinny foot, the quality on this boot seemed seriously heavy duty, I like a stiffer boot, but this was a little too stiff for me

Vans Infuse, hybrid lace boa combo, this is the boot that is in the lead for me right now. Hugs my foot great, awesome build quality, removable tongue stiffeners, no hot spots due to the laces being on the top of my foot as opposed to boa cables, and seriously comfortable.

Still 2 more boots I want to try before I decide 100% on the infuse is the Ride Fuse, I hear nothing but good things about these boots, I called ride and they confirmed it's the only boot they make with a narrower heel pocket, and the vans aura pro even tho I think they will be too soft.

Good luck let us know what you go with!
Dude, THANKS!!

I am definitely using your list and a few other suggestions as a starting point for my search. I will report back after I check out the one shop in my area later today. From there, I’m going online and taking full advantage of free shipping, free return shipping.

Please keep me updated with your progress as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Will do, I have the aura pros coming tomorrow with free return shipping

Let me know if you find a place with the ride fuse and free return shipping, no1 local to me has them

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have similar issues and have tried many boots. Nitro El Mejor - OK but TLS lacing is garbage; Flow Talon - mega stiff; Vans Infuse - crushed my instep; Burton Ion - heel lift; etc etc. I settled on Ride Fuse and have added foam to the front of the liner. They are perfect now. Its so important to get the right size. These are smaller than I have been previously wearing (8.5 vs 9.5) and for the first time I have boots that work like they should. Boa heel hold is amazing, get that heel locked in then tie the boot as tight or loose as you like for the conditions or your style or whatever :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do, I have the aura pros coming tomorrow with free return shipping

Let me know if you find a place with the ride fuse and free return shipping, no1 local to me has them
Good luck. I think the Aura Pro's are a little too soft for my liking.

Free shipping and return shipping at Evo.

I went out today and tried a few boots on, including the following: Several Burton's and I confirmed they are terrible for my foot shape. The K2 Maysis was comfortable, but I had too much lift. The Ride Lasso's would probably work again if I could get over the issues I had with the BOA's on my last pair.

That's all I good find locally. I will most likely order the Vans Infuse, Vans Verse, 32 TM-Two, 32 TM-Three, Ride Fuse, and Salomon Synapse and see where that leaves me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have similar issues and have tried many boots. Nitro El Mejor - OK but TLS lacing is garbage; Flow Talon - mega stiff; Vans Infuse - crushed my instep; Burton Ion - heel lift; etc etc. I settled on Ride Fuse and have added foam to the front of the liner. They are perfect now. Its so important to get the right size. These are smaller than I have been previously wearing (8.5 vs 9.5) and for the first time I have boots that work like they should. Boa heel hold is amazing, get that heel locked in then tie the boot as tight or loose as you like for the conditions or your style or whatever :)
What type of foam did you add and where specifically was it added?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought foam from an arts and crafts store. 5 or 6mm thick. The Ride fuse has a burrito style liner so it opens on the side rather than the front and there is no tongue or internal lacing (way comfier as no plastic bits in there). I just cut a kind of rectangle that gets narrower towards the bottom and duct taped it to the front of the liner. It goes from the top down the ankle. Aside from adding volume it also creates a little more space for my high instep. I tried it at the back too as I thought thats where I'm lacking calf muscles but it felt weird.

I tried on Ride Lasso in the store and immediately felt this is the boot manufacturer whose lasts are most similar to my foot shape. I thought the Lasso was super comfy but too soft so I stuck with Ride and went to another store and found the Fuse. Its a bit stiffer than the Lasso but not a really stiff boot. Way better constructed as you would expect for the price jump.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts