Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With what happened to Schumacher and others when do you know if its something really serious

I hit my head after wiping trying to avoid someone. Had helmet but felt a slight "brain rattle". 6 hours later I'm feeling OK but a sliiiight headache.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not a doctor so take my advice with a grain of salt. A headache after a heavy hit to the head is normal, in which case some advil and sleep is a good idea. If you are seeing lights or spots then you might have a concussion, and I would suggest taking a break for a few days.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's why you pay attention, if you think it was hard enough.... goto the hospital.
If things start getting worse for no reason.... like you're lying down and you notice your head starts to hurt like crazy, goto the hospital.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
With what happened to Schumacher and others when do you know if its something really serious

I hit my head after wiping trying to avoid someone. Had helmet but felt a slight "brain rattle". 6 hours later I'm feeling OK but a sliiiight headache.
Not to sound like an ass, but if you're that worried, ditch the forum and get yourself to the ER. You might not be dead right now, but things can change very quickly. The internet is quite possibly the worst place to go to diagnose possible head injuries.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
as you also know when you have a serious concussion you need to be woken up regularly

Know how and what to look for in a concussion. There is a lot more to them then was previously thought by the medical profession. Used to be you got your bell rung, take 2 aspirin, quit whining and deal with it, not so much anymore

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
as you also know when you have a serious concussion you need to be woken up regularly

Know how and what to look for in a concussion. There is a lot more to them then was previously thought by the medical profession. Used to be you got your bell rung, take 2 aspirin, quit whining and deal with it, not so much anymore
To elaborate. If you are awake you might recognize that your symptoms are getting worse .. not that sleeping will kill you :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to sound like an ass, but if you're that worried, ditch the forum and get yourself to the ER. You might not be dead right now, but things can change very quickly. The internet is quite possibly the worst place to go to diagnose possible head injuries.
I'm a natural worrier man. That said all I have is a slight headache without a change since it happened almost 12 hours ago

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
To elaborate. If you are awake you might recognize that your symptoms are getting worse .. not that sleeping will kill you :)
There is a protocol we had to follow when my son had his concussions from football. At night we had to wake him every 2 hrs and ask simple questions, make sure his vision and speech were normal etc....
Severe concussions come with a long list of problems, not just a headache.

If your alone and truly have a bad concussion you may not notice anything is wrong because you are truly hurt. If your posting on this forum though I'm sure he's just banged up

·
The Swiss Miss
7,603 Posts
Well, you didn't freeze to death and you're able to type 12 hours after bumping your head.

Methinks you'll survive.
Made me giggle a bit :giggle:

·
Registered
612 Posts

I've had a few concussions within the last 5 years. Doctors actually say it's not good to wake the person up. They say sleep is the best healer.
I

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I've had a few concussions within the last 5 years. Doctors actually say it's not good to wake the person up. They say sleep is the best healer.
I
False, your head was banged, you are remembering incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Worrying about a concussion after you banged your head is kind of like unzipping your fly after you take a piss. Do the best you can to protect yourself ahead of time, take risks you deem acceptable, and if you're not sure, go see a doctor. They'll tell you if you have one, maybe do a cat scan. But they can't actually do anything FOR the concussion. Like cracked or broken ribs. So if you don't want to pay a medical bill for advice, jus get lots of rest, like you would for any other injury.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts