·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First impression, not a full blown review
150lbs
Size 8 K2 Enders
Union Contact Pros

This was an impulse ride. It was there, it was pointy, I wanted to go fast. Fast I went. The whole thing is set back and has a disrupted sidecut in between the feet. I was told to hang on my back foot and surf it around and such things. Not really the right flex for surfing, however, the back foot thing does have a nice effect. Once you've got it up to speed step on that back foot and it feel like you hit a NOS button. The thing just takes off and turns into a missle. Stays stable the whole time and absolutely lays trenches.

Overall impression: Pow. Freeride. Missile. I can't think of much else to say. Yup.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Your comments on the backfoot make me think it's like the barracuda - have you tried that one? Where, if you stand centered, the front rocker makes you naturally lift your front leg up and weight your back leg. Is it like that?

I noticed that the new Jones Flagship has a rocker profile like that too

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't ridden a Cuda yet. I do have one on the way so I can comment a little more on the comparison then.

Until then, the Straight is camrock where the Cuda is s-rocker. So stepping on the camber zone of the Cuda is definitely going to feel different than the Straight.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nice. I nabbed one of these to use on steep & deep days. I doubt ill be disappointed....paired it with a set of NOWs.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of conditions were you riding?

I picked one up a few months ago and it has yet to see snow.
Straight up early season groomers and rollers. Thats a big reason these recent reviews are all impressions and not full blown reviews.

You get a chance to ride the ATV?
I did not. Withe the success of the Happy Place and Straight I have a good feelijg it'll ride well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Could you suggest a size for me in this slash straight? I was thinking of the 161 as well but am still trying to catch on to what size would be most appropriate for me... I am 5'11 165lbs. with a size 10 footprint in Vans. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:blink:
Could you suggest a size for me in this slash straight? I was thinking of the 161 as well but am still trying to catch on to what size would be most appropriate for me... I am 5'11 165lbs. with a size 10 footprint in Vans. Thank you.
With the way it's built the 61 is a good size

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Let us know how it does in pow!

I'll be looking for a replacement for my Sick Stick probably late this season and I've got the Slash Straight and K2 Ultradream on my list so far.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Let us know how it does in pow!

I'll be looking for a replacement for my Sick Stick probably late this season and I've got the Slash Straight and K2 Ultradream on my list so far.
Whiskey has last year's Straight for $205 in private stash snow sale, only 159 left (161 sold out).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Alright, I have had 5 days on my Slash Straight 161, here are my thoughts.

Riding the 161, with a set of NOW IPOs with medium (2 days) and firm(3days) pads. Rome Folsom boots. 5'10, 195lbs.

First couple of days were in 1-2 day old chop. fresh in the trees still, but tracked out on the mains with some groomers/ice to the lifts. I normally ride a 158 so the 161 is on the larger side for my comfort zone, but i got it for deep days! What surprised me right off the start was the manoeuvrability of it for its size, I took a lot of runs through the trees seeking those fresh lines and found it extremely easy to turn quickly. I also found it very easy to have a forward aggressive style even in snow that was boot high and not very steep. its shape did a great job of keeping the nose up. Wasn't terrible on the groomers, but it definitely didnt shine here. it does have the "mellowmagne" and if you got into a good carve, it would hold nicely, but it was a touch more work to get it to engage that initial bite. Found a few rollers and natural kickers, handled the landings nicely and was fairly easy to engage in a strong ollie. Landed switch a few times and it handled it no problem. **side note-went over some jagged exposed rock...no scratches or gouges, just a small indented run. solid base** I took one run (top to bottom) with a Polaroid XS100....edited it together quickly. heres the link of the first day riding it...please no hate.:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySExixshtzY

Next 3 days were in 3-4 inches of fresh, with plenty of snow beforehand. I took a friend who also likes to hike for turns, and actually ended up the best runs of the year...getting 5 runs of knee-thigh deep on a real good gladed 40-45 degree pitch :D :yahoo:
(CassMT chime in here if you know where the heck I was...t-bar up, go left 60meters, hike up to the right, ride down the left side)

Anyhow, I was impressed before, but this was hands down the most fun I have had in snow in a very long time. no issues staying afloat, really quick to turn and no leaning back. huge pow sprays and face shots, and this thing handled like a short board on a groomer....ease of turns, pow ollies, even heavy landings in deep snow and she stayed afloat. things flattened out in the end, but again, it held its speed well and didnt nose dive. Also hit a giant roller (by accident) and short of me "unrolling car windows" I landed tail and toe heavy and was able to bring it down...it was soft enough to not buck me off.

Best features for me are:
unsinkable
not too stiff
good edge hold for a "pow shape". i know its a "freeride board" but its definitely more pow than freeride.
fast and durable base
great pop
light! my bum knee loved it.

Downside:
ice=no fun
topsheet dings easy...

overall I would say if you are looking for a board that will get you through deep snow but also handle the end of the day when its all tracked out, this is it. To me this is a great pow specific board or quiver board to add for those days when it snows and youre thinking about setting back on your everyday stick. dont buy it if you are looking for something as an everyday rider or freestyle machine.

Hope this helps some of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Took my new 161 Slash Straight out for a few laps today. I've heard more than a few people knock the Straight for not having great edge hold, but I'm not sure what they're talking about. The snow was pretty good today, but their were some scraped off moguls to be found and I never found a situation where this board didn't hold on tight. The name fits because it's definitely a missile and wants to go straight and do it fast. Not necessarily the best board to take out for the first couple of runs of the season but once I got a feel for it I can tell it's a board I'm really going to like. Plenty stable on groomers and stiff enough to absorb chatter and lay into, but still soft enough for good pow butters. Float should be really good because when you step on that rear foot, that nose rocker really lifts up.

Definitely pow oriented, but you'll still enjoy this board to and from the stashes. Much better on groomers than my Charlie Slasher. Love that board in terms of pure float, but it gets pretty sketchy trying to hold an edge on anything but powder. Softer than the CS too so should be better for those pow butters. Definitely looking forward to taking this thing out on a good deep day. If the float is anything comparable to the CS then I'm gonna be really stoked on this guy.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've heard more than a few people knock the Straight for not having great edge hold, but I'm not sure what they're talking about.
Same here. I've taken it on hard pack and it held a good edge. No runlets there at all. I mean it's not my go-to when there hasn't been snow in awhile but it does more than well.

This is my first pow oriented board, I'm curious to hear how you think it holds up on the deep stuff compared to the Charlie Slasher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally got to take this thing out at loon for a couple days. Riding a 163 with Burton Vitas and I have to say I've fallen in love. I keep reading it's an Okay groomer board but I've been having a blast on man made early-ish season groomers. I think the edge hold was incredible even after riding the same trails on a Gnu with Magne traction, the stabilty and rideability makes it that much better. This thing is a great stable board without kicking my ass for not being on top of my game. I plan to make this my main stick as it's a blast to just cruise around on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts