Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but I'm hoping to find someone with actual time on these boards. Right now I ride a N.S. SL. Can't remember exactly when I bought it '08 maybe but it's from the cambered era. I was very happy with this board but it's basically core shot from tip to tail due to a poorly made park feature. I repaired it as best I could but it's time for a new board.

Unfortunately, where I live my chance to demo is nil. While I take a trip every year, the fact is I'm a weekend warrior who's riding hardpack, glare ice, and assorted crap in WNY & PA mostly. I'd like a board that's capable for real mountain riding, but practical for what I see the most.

I'm wondering how the rockered SL handles crap conditions like this. I was also interested in the K2 slayblade flatbase. Is harshmellow for real or just marketing? Am I off the mark all together here and should just stick with a cambered board? Also, there's some '13 slayblades still floating around at pretty good prices. Any difference in the tech 13-14? Anyone's opinion who's ridden either board would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Well, the SL is going to be nearly identical in construction to yours but with an updated camber profile. So there's that to consider.

There is a huge difference between Slayblade '13 and Slayblade '14. Camber. The new one has Lifted. Flat between the feet, camber under foot, and flat outside the feet. On the Happy Hour the camber rode like rocker when you needed it and camber when you needed it. The profile works. Harshmellow is for real. It works great.

Honestly the Turbo is closer to the SL than the Slayblade.

I'm not entirely sure either board is really the best for you style and conditions. Would you be up for other options?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the SL is going to be nearly identical in construction to yours but with an updated camber profile. So there's that to consider.

There is a huge difference between Slayblade '13 and Slayblade '14. Camber. The new one has Lifted. Flat between the feet, camber under foot, and flat outside the feet. On the Happy Hour the camber rode like rocker when you needed it and camber when you needed it. The profile works. Harshmellow is for real. It works great.

Honestly the Turbo is closer to the SL than the Slayblade.

I'm not entirely sure either board is really the best for you style and conditions. Would you be up for other options?
Absolutely, suggest away. Don't read too much into the fact that I ruined the old board in the park though, that was a rare excursion. I'm looking at all mountain. Bear in mind the old SL rode pretty much as I hoped a board would. Maybe wanting to go a bit stiffer for quicker response in trees. That's what had me thinking Slayblade. I did read about the new lifted base profile. If you think it rides better, I'm OK with spending the extra $ for a '14

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Well I haven't ridden the new Slayblade. Or the old on since the original. So I can't really comment on it.

So, what I would rather ride than an SL if I weren't really concerned with the park: Ride Berzerker, Flow Blackout, Salomon Man's Board, Arbor Coda, or a Yes Greats/Asym.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have an '07 SL and a '13 SL.

I think the newer models grip way better than the old camber ones. It's better on ice or hard pack than my older one for sure. I do think it's slightly softer and more maneuverable than my '07, and it's cool in trees and tight spaces. It's a lot easier to engage turns.

I know you said you might be looking for something more stiff, but I feel a lot more agile on the newer SL than the older one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts