Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the Ice Coast - planning a late season trip this week into SLC - watching the weather with hopes it doesn't get too warm. From the east so anything with snow still makes me flip so no worries about conditions - I am keen for open terrain which snowbird seems much stronger than Snowbasin.

So does anyone have the local scoop on what's still fresh? Again, it seems like Bird, Brighton & Solititude would keep me happy. Any insights would be appreciated. Riding style: steeps/bc....minimal park riding.

Thanks, B

·
Registered
814 Posts
Snowbasin has a lot of open terrain go to 'Strawberry' and will be way way way less crowded than Snowbird.. however they close on the 14th.

Snowbird has probably more open terrain but gets ridden much more since it's a very popular mountain out here. Should be less crowds now that it's spring. Either mountain you can't go wrong I don't think. Snowbird has been getting a little more snowfall the past week too tho.

It was snowing today on Snowbasin. Prolly Snowbird too I'd imagine. Usually one will get hit more than the other but since I'm out with a recent injury I haven't checked the report.

Ogden may be cheaper than SLC. You're looking at about 45min drive between the two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ogden side still going?

Snowbasin has a lot of open terrain go to 'Strawberry' and will be way way way less crowded than Snowbird.. however they close on the 14th.

Snowbird has probably more open terrain but gets ridden much more since it's a very popular mountain out here. Should be less crowds now that it's spring. Either mountain you can't go wrong I don't think. Snowbird has been getting a little more snowfall the past week too tho.

It was snowing today on Snowbasin. Prolly Snowbird too I'd imagine. Usually one will get hit more than the other but since I'm out with a recent injury I haven't checked the report.

Ogden may be cheaper than SLC. You're looking at about 45min drive between the two.
Strawberry @ Basin seems closed. Basin's my buddy's local mtn and wanted to go except they are showing trail closures compared to the Bird/Brighton side which is all open. I don't want to dash his local mtn but I'm not frontin' either on where I want to shred or experience for my first time out there....:tongue4: I drive 2hrs every wknd local so the idea of 45mins between key spots is nada...still, I probably be impressed with wherever I go and I'm not expecting powder, just better open terrain than on the lower east. Any insights closer to the weekend appreciated. Thx

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Generally Snowbasin just doesn't get the depth that Brighton/Solitude (BCC) or Snowbird (LCC) get. Strawberry is my favorite part of Basin, but it is closed. If you are riding F,S,S & M, I'd say hit all 4 mtns. Snowbasin will be fun because it won't be as crowded, especially on the weekend.

The storm that just came through put a nice blanket down, but it'll get baked from powder to cream pretty quickly. It'll drop another 6 inches tomorrow, so get to Snowbird or Brighton for that on Friday. Also, be there on Monday as the goodness falls with the next system. On Sat/Sun, Keep exploring Brighton and Snowbird or take a trek to your buddy's local mtn and enjoy a tour of Utah.

(P.S. If you have a season pass from back east, bring it. Brighton offers 35 dollar tix to passholders from other mtns......FYI)

·
Registered
814 Posts
^ true.
I dunno tho.. seems like it's 50/50 on the snow fall I believe... the storms that go in Little Cottonwood don't hit Basin as hard.. but then again the storms we get hit with don't hit Little Cottonwood as hard. Maybe there's a slight advantage tho.

Neednsnow do you live out here too? Or are you out in PA?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts