Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a small limited production sunglasses brand that launched about 8 months ago, mainly D2C. Our sunglasses are made of 100% post consumer recycled materials and all have UV400 lenses.

We give 5% of all out profits to charity (The idea to launch the brand and mission came about by two children as a way to help those in need).

We are thinking of getting into the goggle game, limited production and same mission as above.

Questions:

1. Is there an interest and support in the community for a brand that will make quality goggles at an affordable price, and donate a portion of our profits to charity?

2. We have our own opinions and research on styles and colors, what would you all like to see?

3. What would make you think about stepping away from the big brands and try us out?

4. Would anyone like to try them (maybe pre-order) when we have them ready to ship and share your feedback? We can't give them away, but would only charge to cover our cost and shipping.

Oh and our goal is not to take over the world and compete with the big dogs, but rather generate more opportunity during the winter months to keep our mission alive and give more back to charity.

Any and all comments welcome.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
^^^That
Also not even a link to the brand page? Oh and is this original product? Where’s the manufacturing? If you’re ordering off Alibaba or similar, we’ll know, and you’ll get slammed. Be aware. We don’t take kindly to brands trying to cash in on snowboarding. Offer something that benefits snowboarding, or don’t offer anything at all.

Reactions: kieloa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply....Please do not mistake this a survey, or a sales pitch it is not....I have done surveys, market research, etc., have worked in that space for years, not to mention marketing and advertising. This post is purely to bring the message of giving back to the forefront...I appreciate your input. Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^That
Also not even a link to the brand page? Oh and is this original product? Where’s the manufacturing? If you’re ordering off Alibaba or similar, we’ll know, and you’ll get slammed. Be aware. We don’t take kindly to brands trying to cash in on snowboarding. Offer something that benefits snowboarding, or don’t offer anything at all.
Thanks for your response, and to answer your questions below is more info (be it a bot long):

- I am not pushing the brand out there, I am not trying to sell or generate site traffic, just focused on bringing a give back message to the masses, market research, does not always tell the full story, direct unpaid opinions are more valuable.

- Yes we are looking to have an original product, as much as it can be within the crowded space

- Manufacturing will be through multiple suppliers, for different elements, we do not have our own manufacturing facility, most companies don't, they outsource.

- Not through Alibaba, manufacturers in Asia, the US and potential the EU, pending costs and timelines.

On a side note, a large % of all goods in many categories are made internationally (many are white labeled) , take the bike market where most all mid-level and below carbon fiber frames are made in 1 of about 5 locations in Asia, brands like Trek, Specialized and even the high end Italian brands source there.

- As for brands that are trying to cash in - Just so you know I have been snowboarding since before you were allowed to ride on the mountains, you actually have to take a test to make sure you could stop on most of them on the east coast. We are not cashing in, bar far....

I understand where you are coming from. Our brand is about "Giving Back to those in need," that is our mission, we do that with our small sunglasses brand. We are a small business, we do this on the side (we have day jobs), our benefit is to those in charities and non-profits, so no we are not doing anything to benefit snowboarding directly, but we are helping people in a much bigger way. We are just looking to add winter sport equipment to the line so we can continue to do so when the sunglass sales cycle slows.

Thank you for your direct input, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Thanks for your response, and to answer your questions below is more info (be it a bot long):

- I am not pushing the brand out there, I am not trying to sell or generate site traffic, just focused on bringing a give back message to the masses, market research, does not always tell the full story, direct unpaid opinions are more valuable.

- Yes we are looking to have an original product, as much as it can be within the crowded space

- Manufacturing will be through multiple suppliers, for different elements, we do not have our own manufacturing facility, most companies don't, they outsource.

- Not through Alibaba, manufacturers in Asia, the US and potential the EU, pending costs and timelines.

On a side note, a large % of all goods in many categories are made internationally (many are white labeled) , take the bike market where most all mid-level and below carbon fiber frames are made in 1 of about 5 locations in Asia, brands like Trek, Specialized and even the high end Italian brands source there.

- As for brands that are trying to cash in - Just so you know I have been snowboarding since before you were allowed to ride on the mountains, you actually have to take a test to make sure you could stop on most of them on the east coast. We are not cashing in, bar far....

I understand where you are coming from. Our brand is about "Giving Back to those in need," that is our mission, we do that with our small sunglasses brand. We are a small business, we do this on the side (we have day jobs), our benefit is to those in charities and non-profits, so no we are not doing anything to benefit snowboarding directly, but we are helping people in a much bigger way. We are just looking to add winter sport equipment to the line so we can continue to do so when the sunglass sales cycle slows.

Thank you for your direct input, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Cheers.
Ya we all know how the manufacturing process works in the industry. Many of us are deeply involved in it. The point was are you simply badging or have you actually customized/designed a mold/etc. The industry does not need another badging goggle company simply using a mission in an attempt to differentiate it. Terrible idea.

Also, the best charities are in fact businesses. The best companies that give back are profitable companies. Charity companies are a failure. It sounds good to be like "oh we don't care about making money" but thats the worst business model as a mission. You want to make a brand that successfully gives back you make a profitable company like Toms, or Bombas.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Where is the popcorn emoji when it is most needed! 🍿
Thank you for your reply....Please do not mistake this a survey, or a sales pitch it is not....I have done surveys, market research, etc., have worked in that space for years, not to mention marketing and advertising. This post is purely to bring the message of giving back to the forefront...I appreciate your input. Cheers.
So, you have all these questions for us but claim they are not surveys... oh, ok. Since you have so many years of experience in surveys, marketing, advertising, and everything in between, tell me - does your vast experience excuse you from looking up the posting guidelines and behaving with a little civility such as... oh, I dunno, introducing yourself first before dropping your turd?? Do you go charging into wherever you want to take a questionnaire from and just grab people to ask them questions or put up posters without checking with the authorities first? Or is that streak of nonchalance due to your days of snowboarding before they were permitted?

Oh, and this is not a rude, snarky rebuke of your higher-than-thou missives. I have done rude and snarky for years. This is purely to remind you that even in this rude and snarky corner of the internet, there are posting rules and guidelines. And your bright idea is some years behind many well-known Youtuber kook's products that claim the same virtues of d2c and 'giving back' as yours. Best of luck.

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
Done all your market research? So why are you asking us questions?

Still don't know what brand this is...

A good portion of us know the manufacturing capabilities and processes. Yes, there are like 2 eyewear manufacturers out there. Doesn't mean that you can't just pick and rebadge vs. making your own original product. Your bike analogy assumes our ignorance. A certain facility can tell us how high quality your product could be, but that's it. I have seen bar/stem combos with the same mold as $600 options just straight bend and flex cause they were $80 from Alibaba and the layup and carbon/epoxy quality was shit. Same mold, same facility, shit quality. Not all carbon layups are equal, gonna tell me those unbadged carbon bikes from china are doing this?

If you want our support, have a product that adds to snowboarding instead of taking away from it. That's it. It's pretty simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts