Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I bought a pair of Smith I/O last year after having eye surgery. I love the goggles, especially with two lenses, but thought they didn't cut the bright sun enough for my taste (could have been that I was boarding 1 month after surgery and was a more sensitive to the light than usual). My goggles came with Platinum Mirror (25% VLT - bright) and Sensor Mirror (70% VLT - cloudy). I was thinking of picking up another lens. What color lens would you recommend for the best bright day performance?

Gold Sol-X (7% VLT) - - sounds frighteningly dark.
Red Sol-X (17% VLT)
Green Sol-x (15% VLT)
Polarized Rose Copper (25% VLT) - Not sure these are worth $100 or that I really care for polarized goggles.

I think these are all brown tinted on the inside.

Anyway, what would you choose for VLT for sunshine?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Hi guys, I bought a pair of Smith I/O last year after having eye surgery. I love the goggles, especially with two lenses, but thought they didn't cut the bright sun enough for my taste (could have been that I was boarding 1 month after surgery and was a more sensitive to the light than usual). My goggles came with Platinum Mirror (25% VLT - bright) and Sensor Mirror (70% VLT - cloudy). I was thinking of picking up another lens. What color lens would you recommend for the best bright day performance?

Gold Sol-X (7% VLT) - - sounds frighteningly dark.
Red Sol-X (17% VLT)
Green Sol-x (15% VLT)
Polarized Rose Copper (25% VLT) - Not sure these are worth $100 or that I really care for polarized goggles.

I think these are all brown tinted on the inside.

Anyway, what would you choose for VLT for sunshine?
Go red or green sol-x. I have both and they work great. Green looks cooler :p

·
Registered
Rossignol Boards and Bindings, k2 Boots
1,700 Posts
anything lower then 25% will be more then enough for bright conditions so you could really go for any one of those. i would just go with whatever color you think looks the coolest or goes with your goggles/gear the best. i have the golds and they are pretty sweet but wanna get the green ones too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had the Green and Red Sol-X, and both are great in bright sun. The view out is more or less a flip flop of the mirror tint. The green gave me more of a brown/amber tint to everything, and the red gave everything a more green/natural tint. I preferred the red for that reason.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the red in mine and they worked great, problem is you dont get that many bright days in Michigan haha
Or mountains to snowboard on :( . I only ski in Michigan once or twice per year.

Although, there is a bunny hill near by and I joined a ski race league for the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts