Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, iv narrowed it down and have definitly decided i want a smokin board, and found the team series and superpark seem to be the best options for me. I ride all Colorado mtns so lots of great pow at times which i love but i mostly ride park. Id like a board that would be great for park, pow, and occasionally just haulin ass around the mountain. Also stuck between ttx or ctx technologies. Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
ctx has its place, it works ok in park(the profile is forgiving of slopy riding), it rides ok on the rest of the mountain, it does not hold a HARD edge when going super fast on really hard pack. It doesn't have much pop It does ride well in powder.

ttx has a lot of pop, it works well in pipe and jumps, This profile is not forgiving of sloppy riding on rails and boxes, it carves hard and charges hard, it is ok on powder and is ok as an all mountain board profile.

Both of these boards are very similar in stiffness, they are stiffer than you think and neither are great for park, the rails kinda park riding that most people consider park..... the stiffness makes them good for jumps and makes them good for an all mountain type of board.

If you really want a board that will work for a 80% park and 20% all mountain board, get the Hooligan. It holds a good edge, has a forgiving base profile for park riding and still handles powder well. My son rode one for a few years and still uses it sometimes.

In the last year we have had a few issues the quality of steel used in the edges, it has been becoming brittle and cracking in spots that it shouldn't. I have been a die hard smokin person but I cant handle quality issues like that on a higher end(price wise) board. They do have a warranty and you can definitely use it. This year we are moving to Capita boards, we had a couple last year that we through in to the mix and loved them, no issues with any part of the board. We got 6 boards to start the season so we will see how they do.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
We still have a few new Smokin boards for this season so we will see how the quality is with them going forward.... Their factory manager got to check out our boards with edge issues and said they were going to figure out what was going on. Their customer service is pretty amazing and the owners are awesome people..

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Have a Scott Stevens, son rode it quite a bit this summer and loved it for the park. He also rode the ultrafear, loved it a little more than the Stevens because it's a little stiffer. both had plenty of pop and locked in on rails.

Here's a picture from hood, don't remember what board he was on here, he demo'd alot of them.... He did win a method contest that Gigi judged... Got a free board for it.... :crazy2:

Snowboard Snowboarding Snow Boardsport Slopestyle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell yeah! Thats awesome, Iv always wanted to ride down there but cant really complain with these Colorado Mountains! I guess im back to starin at these capitas lol. Thanks for all the help man. You think the scott stevens or ulrafear will be great for all around park and all mountain too? id just go with smokin being i was excited to try their board after i demoed one a few years back, but its so hard for me to get ahold of them for some odd reason and would like the board to stay in alright condition for a few seasons

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
We also have a NAS, BSOD, TFA, Charlie slasher and may pick up a spring break at some point. Rode the TFA yesterday and it rides very fast and smooth. Stiff all mountain board....

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
If you like something a little softer I'd get the Stevens, a little stiffer get the ultrafear. When I say a little, I mean almost not noticeable unless you ride alot. They are basically the same boards though with different graphics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So now i am kinda wondering, do the capita boards have magnetraction technology? I didnt see it on their website or anything online about it.. so kinda wondering

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
So now i am kinda wondering, do the capita boards have magnetraction technology? I didnt see it on their website or anything online about it.. so kinda wondering
Def not. If you want MT then grab the smokin, the hooligan should be your best bet for your stated riding...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont necessarily need magnetraction, i just heard it was amazing to have. But i have personally never tried it so idk. I was really leaning towards the scott stevens pro or the ultrafear being that you said smokin was having edge problems.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
I couldn't get over the edge quality issues to stick with smokin. To have it happen on multiple boards from different production runs kind of threw me off. If they fix the problem this year then I could be swayed....

·
Registered
751 Posts
i have the 2014 Smokin team with ttx and I love it. It's great in the park, and all mountain. The ttx feels like camber and I don't think it adds much float. The 59 I have floats like a 59. The 2015 Team has skate kicks tips or whatever it's called. Skate something which just means a higher kick on the tips for pow clearance.
Don't worry about Smokin as they have the best warranty in the business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im getting the ultrafear, but cant decide between the 151 or 153 because of the graphics honestly haha. Im 140lbs and 5'7".. like i said mostly park but id still like to take it backcountry and haul around if i want to without fearing for my life..

·
Registered
97 Posts
ctx has its place, it works ok in park(the profile is forgiving of slopy riding), it rides ok on the rest of the mountain, it does not hold a HARD edge when going super fast on really hard pack. It doesn't have much pop It does ride well in powder.

ttx has a lot of pop, it works well in pipe and jumps, This profile is not forgiving of sloppy riding on rails and boxes, it carves hard and charges hard, it is ok on powder and is ok as an all mountain board profile.

Both of these boards are very similar in stiffness, they are stiffer than you think and neither are great for park, the rails kinda park riding that most people consider park..... the stiffness makes them good for jumps and makes them good for an all mountain type of board.

If you really want a board that will work for a 80% park and 20% all mountain board, get the Hooligan. It holds a good edge, has a forgiving base profile for park riding and still handles powder well. My son rode one for a few years and still uses it sometimes.

In the last year we have had a few issues the quality of steel used in the edges, it has been becoming brittle and cracking in spots that it shouldn't. I have been a die hard smokin person but I cant handle quality issues like that on a higher end(price wise) board. They do have a warranty and you can definitely use it. This year we are moving to Capita boards, we had a couple last year that we through in to the mix and loved them, no issues with any part of the board. We got 6 boards to start the season so we will see how they do.
How was the quality this year?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually didn't go with either of these boards. I got the capita ultra fear and loved everything about it no matter where I went.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts