Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a newer snowboarder and am lookin at getting a board. I am looking at buying it used. I was wondering what board would be right for me. I want a good board for jumping, tricks, jibbing and switches but also good for just racing down the hills with friends, on ice, and carving. Would i want like a all mountain board? For groomed trails, tricks, and high speeds? I was looking at a 2008 burton clash would this board be good? And is a 2008 a little too old? I was also looking at somethin like a burton custom flying v? I have looked at mainly burton, ride, lib tech, and k2 boards what boards woul you suggest be best for me? What years should I look for, i have looked at some newer boards around 2012 as well. I need about a 152, I am about 130 lbs and 5'8" :D :D

Thank you very much
Ryan

·
Registered
585 Posts
Arbor Westmark should fit the bill. Good all mountain board and it has a special sidecut (griptech) to help with traction which is nice for riding in ice. Skate Banana might work also which has magnetraction and so do all Gnu boards. I ride a K2 Parkstar which fits your style also. It doesn't have a special sidecut but personally I haven't had a problem with losing grip. Maybe check out Yes The Greats. Maybe a NeverSummer Evo. There are lots of options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arbor Westmark should fit the bill. Good all mountain board and it has a special sidecut (griptech) to help with traction which is nice for riding in ice. Skate Banana might work also which has magnetraction and so do all Gnu boards. I ride a K2 Parkstar which fits your style also. It doesn't have a special sidecut but personally I haven't had a problem with losing grip. Maybe check out Yes The Greats. Maybe a NeverSummer Evo. There are lots of options.
Ok thank you very much for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much $ and where do you live
I am located in Wisconsin about 45 min from Illinois border and my price will vary depending on board and what come with it. I would like to spend around 300 or 350. Mainly just depends. Why do u have a board for sale?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You're asking about an 08 clash, hard to tell you if its a good deal if we don't know the price. I'd say you can do better unless it's $50. Don't over think it, you're a new boarder with big ideas. Go with any quality twin of medium stiffness for your first one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're asking about an 08 clash, hard to tell you if its a good deal if we don't know the price. I'd say you can do better unless it's $50. Don't over think it, you're a new boarder with big ideas. Go with any quality twin of medium stiffness for your first one.
Ok thank you and I will diffidently take your advice and have a broader search. the clash board and bindings were about $300. Also was looking at a 2012 burton custom flying v for about $500 with bindings boots and board. Would that be a good deal? Thank you very much for the advice!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ok thank you and I will diffidently take your advice and have a broader search. the clash board and bindings were about $300. Also was looking at a 2012 burton custom flying v for about $500 with bindings boots and board. Would that be a good deal? Thank you very much for the advice!
Buy the boots seperately. Get the best fitting ones. Try on many pairs, and buy them new.

Then you could get something like a burton process or custom in camber, good all around choices for your area. I think that lightly used stuff from last year should cost you no more than 50 per cent of list, and price goes down from there based on age and condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy the boots seperately. Get the best fitting ones. Try on many pairs, and buy them new.

Then you could get something like a burton process or custom in camber, good all around choices for your area. I think that lightly used stuff from last year should cost you no more than 50 per cent of list, and price goes down from there based on age and condition.
Ok thank u very much will I want to get new bindings as well? And for goggles I was going to go without them but I here that my face will be freezing and they r actually nice would just like a cheeper $30 pair work fine?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
With goggles there is not a whole shit ton of difference between cheap ones and expensive ones. Better lens and materials on higher end ones of course. I doubt you'll notice right away. Go with the $30 ones.

Definitely get good fitting boots. That should be the number one priority with your kit. If the boots with that Burton package are a good fit then sure do it. You are probably not going to use them for all that long anyway. New rider, figuring out what you like and all. That is just the reality. They should be fine for one or two seasons depending on how much you go. Just remember your day will be much better with happy feet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With goggles there is not a whole shit ton of difference between cheap ones and expensive ones. Better lens and materials on higher end ones of course. I doubt you'll notice right away. Go with the $30 ones.

Definitely get good fitting boots. That should be the number one priority with your kit. If the boots with that Burton package are a good fit then sure do it. You are probably not going to use them for all that long anyway. New rider, figuring out what you like and all. That is just the reality. They should be fine for one or two seasons depending on how much you go. Just remember your day will be much better with happy feet.
Ok thank you yeah I will look at the boots and make sure I get some that fit

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ok thank u very much will I want to get new bindings as well? And for goggles I was going to go without them but I here that my face will be freezing and they r actually nice would just like a cheeper $30 pair work fine?
Bindings can definitely be used if you want to save some money. You won't have the warranty, but usually the company will help you out if you just have minor problems anyways. Just try to make sure the straps and buckles are in good condition. $30 pair of goggles will be fine for a first pair. I didn't wear goggles at all my first couple seasons and didn't really think much of it. Now after owning goggles, it would be really hard to go back. They keep your face much warmer, block the wind, and the tints for the lenses can be nice if you're using the right ones. I got my pair I have now for $30 with 2 lenses. They were lightly used, but you could hardly even tell. They were a $120 retail too. I think I just got lucky though, don't expect to find a deal like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bindings can definitely be used if you want to save some money. You won't have the warranty, but usually the company will help you out if you just have minor problems anyways. Just try to make sure the straps and buckles are in good condition. $30 pair of goggles will be fine for a first pair. I didn't wear goggles at all my first couple seasons and didn't really think much of it. Now after owning goggles, it would be really hard to go back. They keep your face much warmer, block the wind, and the tints for the lenses can be nice if you're using the right ones. I got my pair I have now for $30 with 2 lenses. They were lightly used, but you could hardly even tell. They were a $120 retail too. I think I just got lucky though, don't expect to find a deal like that.
Sweet sounds good thank u!

·
Registered
378 Posts
All good advice. Just a word of caution on expectations thought.

You sort of asked for a 4x4 monster truck that can crush cars, but it needs to be light weight so it will perform well in the mud, and oh by the way, it should go 200 mph, get there in under 6 seconds and corner like an f1 racer.

Boards are the same as any other method of travel. It will be slow and maneuverable, fast and hug the road, or somewhere in between.

Look at all mountain described boards. If it's park specific, or freeride specific, you probably don't want it. Easier to learn on an all mountain, and many many experienced riders end up on an all mountain board as they daily ride.

Don't agonize per which particular all mountain board you pick. Other than a handful of cheap brands, anyone's middle of the line all mountain will serve well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts