Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of board bags are you guys using? I'm in between the burton wheelie gig and the dakine low roller. I'd appreciate any input.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
I've a Dakine low roller. It has separated boot compartment which I appreciate. Very good quality for the price. Has done several flights and shows no wear n tear yet.

IIRC, the Burton has no separate boot compartments. One can probably stuff more things into this one as with the boot bags one looses some degrees of freedom, but I like to keep wet funky boots separated from the main compartment with clothing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of the things to watch out for with the the larger bags is the weight limit when flying.

Most airlines want each bag to be under 50 lbs and with the multi-board setups you can easily stuff like 75 lbs worth of stuff into it.

I have the Flow Board Tram, which is a cheaper version of the Burton Wheelie Locker. I can get one snowboard, one pair adult skis and one pair child skis along with all our snow clothes (pants, jackets, thermals, gloves) and it weighs in at 49 lbs. There is still a ton of space for more stuff but we couldn't get it on the plane without overweight charges.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the wheelie gig and a smaller Da Kine bag for shorter 2-3 day car trips. Both are in the 165 range. I say range, because I can't quite remember what the Da kine is. But it holds my 162's just fine.

The wheelie bag is huge, rolls well and it can fit so much stuff. I usually put 2-3 boards, 2 bindings (off of boards), 1 pair of boots, 1 helmet, 2 pairs of gloves/ goggles/ jackets/ pants and some easily packable stuff like socks, thermals. I'm sure I am forgetting some things. Basically, anything you need snowboarding, it can hold it. Although, like DaftDeft said, the only problem you run into is the weight issue and you can't really get around that with any bag that provides protection like the wheelie gig and low roller do. My one complaint about it is that sometimes the zipper gets caught on the fabric sewn in with the zipper (not sure what to call it). Other than that, its been a great bag.

Now the only reason why I bring up the Da Kine bag, is because it has the 2 boot compartments. I use them, but they are actually kind of a pain when it comes to packing. This bag has the compartments on the flap. So you have to either pack first, close the flap, then wriggle the boots in or pack boots, and save pace under the boots hoping nothing is underneath so that you can zip it. You will get the hang of it and they do serve a great purpose. But, that same purpose could be solved by a trash bag, which what I do with the wheelie gig.

All in all, I would get which ever one is cheaper. Also, amazon sells waterproof square and rectangular bags that you could by for your boots if you want.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I use the burton locker bag, it is huge, but also heavy. The best part about it is that you can separate it into two bags. So if it is overweight you can check in as two bags instead of one. Or roll up the top part and take it on the plane with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Dakine as well. Perfect for air travel, but easy to get it up to 65-70 lbs like the previous poster mentioned. That's an extra $100. (Hint: The Orange County skycap let me slide. But on the way back from Park City, the Russian deer-in-the-headlights guy wouldn't budge).
It has several pouches to put your things which is great if you're OCD, but unnecessary if you don't mind placing all your stuff anywhere.

When I drive to Mammoth, it's really more than I need, and I'd go with an easier to carry Burton bag that has shoulder straps (that bag worked great in the airport but didn't weather the luggage handlers. This managed to all my gear, too. Having said that, when I stay at friend's condo in the village, there is quite a long hallway walk, so I prefer the roller wheels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a High Sierra wheeled ski/snowboard combo bag. It was like $150 on Amazon and has held up well through 5 flights. It's padded and can easily hold two boards with bindings, and gear. There are straps inside to hold everything secure too. A padded dividing flap(?) to separate the top and bottom. The top part unzips to expand to allow for longer boards/skis.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there are no support beams or bars in it. When it's being pulled, it sags a little bit after the boards stop, but it's definitely manageable. I started to put my board towards the top and my boots or helmet on the bottom and this has helped a little.

I've packed mine full to about 74 lbs before, so the straps can take weight.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Had a burton locker bag and it's beat to shit after 4 trips. Both zipper grips snapped off the first day and then the strap that goes around, buckle broke on second trip. Over Burton's bag and picked up a Dakine low roller. Quality seems better, but have yet to use it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Had a burton locker bag and it's beat to shit after 4 trips. Both zipper grips snapped off the first day and then the strap that goes around, buckle broke on second trip. Over Burton's bag and picked up a Dakine low roller. Quality seems better, but have yet to use it.
I've had two Burton bags that also went to shit after a few trips

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm flying to Denver from Texas on the 20th. It's my first time flying with my board. Do I pack all my gear in the bag? I've heard bad stories about lost luggage. Trying to decide if I care about wheels on my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's up to you to take the risk. I do because I figure it's hard to lose a snowboard bag. I've even packed all of my clothes, shaving kit, etc.
Just remember that anything over 50 lbs. is an extra $100.

Re: Wheels, if you are going to stuff it, then definitely get wheels. If you plan on just carrying your board and some items, you can get by with the backpack version of a bag.
The last thing you want to do is carry the bag in one hand while trying to balance the weight out in the other. Won't happen.

Have fun!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm flying to Denver from Texas on the 20th. It's my first time flying with my board. Do I pack all my gear in the bag? I've heard bad stories about lost luggage. Trying to decide if I care about wheels on my bag

I pack my back to about 48 lbs (it's extra if you're over 50 lbs) and take a carry on. I usually put two days of clothes in my carry on and a pair of clothes I can wear snowboarding, in case my gear gets lost, I can at least rent and enjoy myself.

I pack my snowboarding back w/ my stuff, because I feel like it's harder to lose a long bag.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a Burton wheelie gig. No complaints. I have flown with it 5 times over the past 2 years. Other than a little dirt, not a thing wrong with it. Plenty of room for my board and all of my gear.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Anybody ever have their bag lost or delayed?

Recently on a flight to Austria via L.A. Sweden and Norway (stopovers) the airline basically left my better half's massive ski bag behind in L.A.

Was no biggie, in a day or two they delivered it to our Hotel in Austria and it saved her dragging it through Stockholm and Oslo airports and she got it before the skiing started. In the end she quite enjoyed the fact they left it behind as it was a lot easier getting around.

·
Registered
323 Posts
tsa board bag was my first, but i've got a douchebag on order. the first one has been ok apart from it being a bit awkward to manoeuvre at times and if it is full will take two hands to pull along and it has taken a fair beating. the douchebag is length adjustable, has padded sides, a shoulder strap for pulling it along and packs away to a fraction of its size when not in use. durability will be the most important thing for me as things tend to disintegrate in my tender care ...

i've had my snowboard bag lost before (flight to geneva around christmas 2015), turns out the airport luggage people were so busy they left a lot of the bags from the plane i was on on the tarmac. luckily got to speak to one of the people in the back and they helped me out, managed to pick it up the next day from the airport. on the flight in to tokyo last year one of the people in our group had their luggage delayed ... the luggage people arranged for it to be delivered to the resort on hokkaido (northern island) the next day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.