Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I checked this topic and didn't see anything come up for a while. I currently have a Burton Wheelie Gig bag but it ripped after several trips. Customer service says warranty doesn't cover it since it looks like it's damage from the airline. So I'm between buying another Burton Wheelie or a Dakine Low Roller. Does anybody have experience with both?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the low roller only been using for one season and am pretty haply with it. In the past I had another Dakine with straps only and without wheels, it had been ripped like 6 cm at one spot. Glued and taped, wife is still using it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a Dakine Low Roller and a Dakine Tour. I use the Dakine Low Roller for travelling on a plane and I use the tour if I'm going away local by car. I had the low roller for over 4 or 5 years and no issue with the straps, zippers or wheels. Very good quality!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dakine LowRoller is a nice bag for sure. I current love my Rome Cache board bag. I've had it for a few years, and have been to Europe, Canada and Mt. Baker with it. Bombproof and fits a ton of gear.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hello! I checked this topic and didn't see anything come up for a while. I currently have a Burton Wheelie Gig bag but it ripped after several trips. Customer service says warranty doesn't cover it since it looks like it's damage from the airline. So I'm between buying another Burton Wheelie or a Dakine Low Roller. Does anybody have experience with both?
Maybe consider a hard case for air travel

Series 3 Sportube Ski Case

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
My favorite bag ever was the Bakoda Travel Closet, which had a great feature where the boot section could be unzipped into its own bag if one was overweight. Sadly, Bakoda was sold to Northwave years ago and that whole line eventually imploded. (I have contemplated somehow getting this design re-made, but don't have a luggage manufacturer handy in the Rolodex ;))

Now I use a Nidecker Board Tram which I'm happy with, lots of big pockets. The only downside is they for some reason didn't include interior straps for tie down. I've talked to them about it and they said maybe they'll consider adding them whenever it's time for a design change. Yes Snowboards also has the same bag with their branding.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have both the DaKine Low Roller, High Roller and Burton Wheelie. Prefer the Low but have been eyeing a DB as a replacement for HR and Wheelie.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Douchebag is the worst fucking name for a bag ever (they're making a pretty hard pivot to "Db", they apparently just changed their URL domain from douchebags.com to dbjourneys.com) but they make the best soft bags on the market IMO. Super modular, good balance between protection and lightness.

Heads up, airlines won't comp you (or at least their policy is not to comp you) unless you have a hard case bag. Personally I'd rather risk it with soft bags than deal with storing and carrying hard case bags, but your risk tolerance and storage capacity situations may differ from my own.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Heads up, airlines won't comp you (or at least their policy is not to comp you) unless you have a hard case bag
yeah... years ago, somewhere between SFO and DEN, baggage weenies broke a helmet(!) that was in a soft Salomon bag I used to have and the airline wouldn't do anything about it. It cracked along the side near the ears, totally at a weak point.

Now I pack a helmet in my regular luggage to protect it (irony! ;)).

·
Registered
535 Posts
yeah... years ago, somewhere between SFO and DEN, baggage weenies broke a helmet(!) that was in a soft Salomon bag I used to have and the airline wouldn't do anything about it. It cracked along the side near the ears, totally at a weak point.

Now I pack a helmet in my regular luggage to protect it (irony! ;)).
Airline fuckery aside, you should carry the helmet on you anyway. Non-catastrophic knocks (like hard slams don't actually crack the helmet) degrade EPS' protective performance. I get enough of those just cruising around the resort, no need to accelerate that process.

My go-to rule when I fly is boots, helmet, and essential soft goods in my carry-on, everything else checked in. Anywhere I would fly to ride, I can rent a decent demo board in town or at the resort. I am probably not going to find boots that fit and would really, really rather not use rental fleet long johns.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Airline fuckery aside, you should carry the helmet on you anyway. Non-catastrophic knocks (like hard slams don't actually crack the helmet) degrade EPS' protective performance. I get enough of those just cruising around the resort, no need to accelerate that process.

My go-to rule when I fly is boots, helmet, and essential soft goods in my carry-on, everything else checked in. Anywhere I would fly to ride, I can rent a decent demo board in town or at the resort. I am probably not going to find boots that fit and would really, really rather not use rental fleet long johns.
Helmet in carry on is a great idea, would love to put boots in carry-on, but I thought that 30-40L pack is about max volume for carry-on, at least on international flights. boots and helmet would eat that capacity up, surely.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Boots in the check-in luggage, helmet with your carry-on. Never had a problem with that.
Helmet, 1pr goggles tucked in helmet, exxy gloves, spare insoles, jacket, camera, tablet, water bottle & snacks for flight.
I have thought of wearing boots onto plane and then changing into tevas & stowing boots in overhead locker, anyone done that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts