Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1966 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STOKED!

Snowboardbootsizer.com

We have a new project that we have been working on which we wanted to share with the SBF faithful. When complete it will be a suite of web tools that we hope will be helpful as an informational early step in the gear selection process.

As some of you know we are chronic measurebaters and (almost certainly overly analytical) gear tweakers. It has recently (and sadly, accurately) pointed out here that I likely also have a bit bit of a unhealthy foot fetish. To that point...

The first tool is pretty straight forward. The goal is to illustrate the bizarre and very confusing state of footwear sizing as it exists today.

It is designed to provide information that can then be taken to a local shop for a try-on or to a website for a better informed starting point in that purchase process.

What it does: It uses your foot measurement to produce and compare your snowboard boot size to both the size that a Brannock Device (the device used at most footwear stores and even many snowboard shops) would produce for that same foot measurement and the "internet size" that would be produced (we use the largest internet footwear retailers live data for this).

You will find that there is a substantial difference (how large difference varies by foot measurement) in the three sizes.

We would consider this sizer to be a huge success if it steers any new riders away from basing boot buying decisions on "shoe size" and taking only their mondopoint or "snowboard boot size" with them into the buying process.

We will be adding to the FAQ this week and tweaking cross browser formatting but the core is complete.

We hope this is useful to someone. We have a lot of fun doing this stuff and it is a great excuse to fondle some feet...ooooohhhhh lovely feet....

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Wired,

looks good, but doesn't seem to work in chrome (slider wont slide for foot size), works fine in ie 11

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wired,

looks good, but doesn't seem to work in chrome (slider wont slide for foot size), works fine in ie 11
Thanks,

What Chrome version and OS do you have bro?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
can't wait to see the other sizing tools as well.
the UI is simple and intuitive
2 thumbs up to your developer

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chrome version 38.0.2125.122 m

windows 7 sp1
Hi Larry,

Would you mind updating Chrome? working on all of our test machines with 7 and 39.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
i'm at a work machine right now, so I am sure we are a few revs behind, but not able to update.

I will verify when I am back home later today

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Boarders come to ride
Only to find, they must confide
The piglets are pinched
There must be one more inch
The heels are loose
Make me ride like a goose
The arch is high
Which insole to buy
My foot is flat
Squished like a gnat
Are my peds are like a fish
Please, I wish a wish
For WiredSport, the one with the fetish.

Get that calculator up and going....and STICKy'D

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I can dig this tool. But as a boot fitter myself I'm looking at the conversions they're a bit off. I know my exact size and it's telling me I'm a 9 U.S. I have never been able to fit into a 9 U.S.

It might need some fine tuning, just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can dig this tool. But as a boot fitter myself I'm looking at the conversions they're a bit off. I know my exact size and it's telling me I'm a 9 U.S. I have never been able to fit into a 9 U.S.

It might need some fine tuning, just food for thought.
Hi BA,

Stoked for the input. For the boot size this one is actually not a conversion. The tool simply returns the Mondopoint size that will be printed inside every snowboard boot for that foot measurement. For example if you have a 27.0 cm foot length it will return a mondopoint size of 270 mm which is also a straight measurement (Mondopoint is your foot size measure in millimiters). For snowboard boots this will be labeled US 9. 270 will be the size printed inside every size 9 snowboard boot. By the mondopoint definition the mondopoint length is the foot measurement that the boot builder intended the boot to fit.

Intended is of course an important word :)

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
you little freak.

one of the things i find so funny about the whole online boot footing thing is the fact that most people's feet aren't the same size.

carry on.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boarders come to ride
Get that calculator up and going....and STICKy'D
Are you having trouble with the site? Stoked for any glitch reports. I will bug chase and correct.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
you little freak.

one of the things i find so funny about the whole online boot footing thing is the fact that most people's feet aren't the same size.

carry on.
Will places actually split up two pairs and sell different sizes though? Maybe if you know them really well and are an established customer, but I just can't imagine joe shmoe walking in there and having them muck up their inventory by doing so.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
If mondo is the goto measurement you want to use I think you just add to the confusion by displaying all the different sizes.

Force them to enter it in cm/mm and just give them a mondo size with a brief explanation of why you are doing this for those who question it.

Lots of the page doesn't load for me at work, through no fault of your own it's our proxy at work filtering out much of it, so it's pretty ugly and bare bones and non functional so perhaps the fully loaded actually cuts down on the confusion.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Will places actually split up two pairs and sell different sizes though? Maybe if you know them really well and are an established customer, but I just can't imagine joe shmoe walking in there and having them muck up their inventory by doing so.
my point wasn't that you need or will get two different sized boots, rather you should be trying shit on.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lots of the page doesn't load for me at work, through no fault of your own it's our proxy at work filtering out much of it
Open to any screenshots at [email protected].

Have a look on any current mobile. You should be good there as an alternate.

If mondo is the goto measurement you want to use I think you just add to the confusion by displaying all the different sizes.

Force them to enter it in cm/mm and just give them a mondo size with a brief explanation of why you are doing this for those who question it.
That would be the ideal but unfortunately most websites and even boot boxes do not carry the mondopoint size so the alt sizes are still needed. For snowboard boots however they are always the same sizes that accompany the mondo size (for example 290 mondo will always be US size 11 on a snowboard boot).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interface is really nice. None of the FAQ, Methodology etc are linked for me. Not sure if these just haven't been activated yet or if just not working in my browser. Good job so far.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interface is really nice. None of the FAQ, Methodology etc are linked for me. Not sure if these just haven't been activated yet or if just not working in my browser. Good job so far.
STOKED!

I just posted an early version of the FAQ to my original thread. I should have the script working for that section today (or shortly thereafter).

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Looks much better from home. And this is just my opinion and I'm the first to admit I'm a minimalist.

The slider is kinda annoying to me. Rather just type it in.
I'd rather just see the table in .1cm increments. But I'll fully admit I have no style.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
wired,

works fine with chrome from house. must be just old version from work.
but according to chart i have a 27cm foot but no way I ever can fit in a 9. most snowboard boots I am a 10.5, and in flow I am a 10 Snug.
if i look at zappos link
for shoesize it puts me square in a 10

http://www.zappos.com/c/shoe-size-conversion Perhaps you need to account for width as well

1 - 20 of 1966 Posts