Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock & Internet

327771 Views 2696 Replies 353 Participants Last post by  wrathfuldeity
STOKED!

Snowboardbootsizer.com

We have a new project that we have been working on which we wanted to share with the SBF faithful. When complete it will be a suite of web tools that we hope will be helpful as an informational early step in the gear selection process.

As some of you know we are chronic measurebaters and (almost certainly overly analytical) gear tweakers. It has recently (and sadly, accurately) pointed out here that I likely also have a bit bit of a unhealthy foot fetish. To that point...

The first tool is pretty straight forward. The goal is to illustrate the bizarre and very confusing state of footwear sizing as it exists today.

It is designed to provide information that can then be taken to a local shop for a try-on or to a website for a better informed starting point in that purchase process.

What it does: It uses your foot measurement to produce and compare your snowboard boot size to both the size that a Brannock Device (the device used at most footwear stores and even many snowboard shops) would produce for that same foot measurement and the "internet size" that would be produced (we use the largest internet footwear retailers live data for this).

You will find that there is a substantial difference (how large difference varies by foot measurement) in the three sizes.

We would consider this sizer to be a huge success if it steers any new riders away from basing boot buying decisions on "shoe size" and taking only their mondopoint or "snowboard boot size" with them into the buying process.

We will be adding to the FAQ this week and tweaking cross browser formatting but the core is complete.

We hope this is useful to someone. We have a lot of fun doing this stuff and it is a great excuse to fondle some feet...ooooohhhhh lovely feet....
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I measured myself up (photos below - did I do that right?). Based on that, I believe I'm a 270/US 9 and width D. I'm not sure if it's clear from the photos, but my left foot is a couple of millimeters longer than my right.

I've been using the Burton Photon in size 9 for several seasons. They fit great, except I'd get the dreaded black toenail after going hard for several consecutive days (but only on my left foot!). I've also tried the DC Judge, which initially felt like an even better fit, but on the mountain, I experienced a lot of heel lift. I've been looking at getting the Burton Ion. Size 9 feels similar to my existing Photons. Size 8.5, especially on my left foot, feels too small.

Wood Gesture Finger Foot Nail
Gesture Wood Barefoot Finger Toe
Skin Hand Facial expression Leg Azure

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey Wired,

Thanks for confirming!

I live near a Burton store so I was able to try on some of their boots. I tried the Ion in size 8.5 and 9 and made two observations: 1) they both fit (the 8.5 did feel a lot tighter width-wise), and 2) different boots (even of the same model and size) have different fit - I had always assumed that mass production meant low tolerance for variation, but these were noticeably different! I suppose when it comes to boots, millimeters matter.

Given that the 8.5 also fits (though a lot tighter width-wise), would you recommend this over a size 9?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts