Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2021 - 2040 of 2207 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey wiredsport. It's awesome to find this thread. I've been plagued with boot fit issues for most of my 32 snowboard years... I have the unfortunate combination Of a high instep bone, wide feet, and a small size 7 foot. shopping for boots has always been hell. They rarely had my size in the local shops, and I've had to settle for the best of mediocre fits.

my feet have always frozen up on me and I have had to deal with lots of pain over the years, and usually wear toe warmers. My last pair of boots, ride lassos, saved my life, as I can loosen my BOAS for the chairlift and relieve the pressure. It has still been hit and miss... now those boots are done.

I just bought compression socks & size 7 Dialogues today, but realized I should have gone wide after wearing them at home for 15 mins until my feet went numb. Then I loosened them completely and the outer sides of my feet were still going numb... The wides felt a little looser in the heel at the store, which is why I took the standard 7s... no bueno

problem is, according to the mondo scale, I need either a 6 or 6.5 e /wide, a size which salomon doesn't make, as far as I can tell... my big & second toes are lightly touching the front of the liners. I'm guessing the size 7 dialogue wides might be the best I can hope for. curious what your thoughts are.

My feet measurements are 24 cm long and 97cm wide.

I've always suffered heel lift unless I put material between my ankle & high instep bones.

A bootfitter at a resort once put some adhesive carved foam in my boots to help fill the gap, which helped. now I'm wondering if I should have been wearing a 6.5 all these years. sigh... A size that is even harder to find

thanks for reading. any advice is greatly appreciated.

- Steve in Vancouver, Canada

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,024
Hey wiredsport. It's awesome to find this thread. I've been plagued with boot fit issues for most of my 32 snowboard years... I have the unfortunate combination Of a high instep bone, wide feet, and a small size 7 foot. shopping for boots has always been hell. They rarely had my size in the local shops, and I've had to settle for the best of mediocre fits.

my feet have always frozen up on me and I have had to deal with lots of pain over the years, and usually wear toe warmers. My last pair of boots, ride lassos, saved my life, as I can loosen my BOAS for the chairlift and relieve the pressure. It has still been hit and miss... now those boots are done.

I just bought compression socks & size 7 Dialogues today, but realized I should have gone wide after wearing them at home for 15 mins until my feet went numb. Then I loosened them completely and the outer sides of my feet were still going numb... The wides felt a little looser in the heel at the store, which is why I took the standard 7s... no bueno

problem is, according to the mondo scale, I need either a 6 or 6.5 e /wide, a size which salomon doesn't make, as far as I can tell... my big & second toes are lightly touching the front of the liners. I'm guessing the size 7 dialogue wides might be the best I can hope for. curious what your thoughts are.

I've always suffered heel lift unless I put material between my ankle & high instep bones.

A bootfitter at a resort once put some adhesive carved foam in my boots to help fill the gap, which helped. now I'm wondering if I should have been wearing a 6.5 all these years. sigh... A size that is even harder to find

Hi Barfoot,

24 cm is Mondopoint 240 or size 6 US in snowboard boots. 9.7 cm is an EE width at this size.

Lets get barefoot images of your measurements before we go further so we can confirm this.

STOKED!

·
Registered
8,157 Posts

Steve, do what wiredsport wants.

I have a similar sized foot mondo 24, high instep and wide. Finally found and had been for years using women's 32's focus boas size 7.5 to work fairly well....But they were still a tad loose and too soft. So last season made the switch to AT ski boots...women's Atomic Backlands, non carbon version in mondo 24/24.5 with last of iirc 97 and can be blown out to 101?. The great thing is that the shells can be heat moulded and its fairly easy to add bits to the liners to get a solid performance fit. And there is a great ski boot fitter here in Bham that has been doing fitting for decades and he understands what snowboarders' need in these boots all the local big AT/hardboots splitters use his services. Anyways its one of the best decisions evar. PM if you want more details about refinement tweaks (it still took several days of on hill mods to dial in slipper status) and how to hook up with the bootfitter. Btw about month ago, he did up a second pair of Backlands for me that I found off-season. Srsly these are great boots that are stiff enough, flexible, performance fit with the comfort of slippers...don't even feel the need to loosen them up during lunch. Tonight I just put on Phantom link levers...frick'n nuts...and will be trying this addition tomorrow. I will never go back to soft boots and I use these boots for both riding solids at Baker and for splittys.

And Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Barfoot,

24 cm is Mondopoint 240 or size 6 US in snowboard boots. 9.7 cm is an EE width at this size.

Lets get barefoot images of your measurements before we go further so we can confirm this.

STOKED!
Here you go. looks like They're 9.5cm wide, actually. The instep gap is where I get heel lift and I've always had to fill this space. I used to tape on sock fabric or even napkins. As previously mentioned, my current boots have boot fit foam added (see pic). I've shopped around for boots a lot over the years, and these dialogue boots feel better than anything off the shelf ever has. Tempted to exchange for the wides in 7 today unless you can tell tell me who makes a men's 6 wide in a high quality boot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, I use the superfeet outlast heat moulded cork insoles from several years back. I found them great, but sometimes it seems that my foot doesn't sit on them properly, front to back. Usually I ride in fairly thin smartwool board socks, but just bought some compression socks at the suggestion of the guy who sold me the dialogues. I have pretty high arches.

Not into switching to hard boots, as wrath recommended... I really want dual Zone BOAS. Being able to pop them for the chairlift ride is something I don't want to lose.

Thanks, everyone

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
@barfoot&poignant

2 cents...I would not worry about your instep gap..infact, me thinks your boot foam piece may contribute to poor circulation. Instead focus on making a deep heel pocket using a 1/2 butterfly on the liner. That way you can use the inner laces to cinch down your shin/cuff area...perhaps use some foam on the outside of the liner tongue to help keep your foot/heel and shin back in the heel pocket. That way you dealt with any heel lift and given some more space for your high instep. With my old 32 double boas, I generally left the bottom boa fairly loose...barely snug and then tightened down the cuff boa...(same thing with the AT boots),. That way I had comfy instep, more space for the toes and warm feet. Look at the boot faq sticky...there should be some pics...if not let me know.

As for compression socks...return them. Get some pinguin wristers...they are neoprene sleeves that fishermen use to help keep their fore arms warm and protected when handling fish. You can get them from LFS in Bham for like $14. Anyway wear them over your socks on your caves. They work great for keeping the circulation going in your feet and give you a lot more endurance/leg through out the day...I consider them an essential piece of gear for my geezeredly self.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Here you go. looks like They're 9.5cm wide, actually. The instep gap is where I get heel lift and I've always had to fill this space. I used to tape on sock fabric or even napkins. As previously mentioned, my current boots have boot fit foam added (see pic). I've shopped around for boots a lot over the years, and these dialogue boots feel better than anything off the shelf ever has. Tempted to exchange for the wides in 7 today unless you can tell tell me who makes a men's 6 wide in a high quality boot.

View attachment 151662 View attachment 151663
View attachment 151664 View attachment 151665
View attachment 151666
View attachment 151667

l tell me who makes a men's 6 wide in a high quality boot.... that is the whole problem...none. I was tempted to try some triple boas but they only went to size 7 and very difficult to fine. So I bailed and went with women's AT ski boots.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
btw, come down to Bakes and meet up, I'll bring a pair of my 32's and some k2 double boas contours and if they fit, they are yours. You can even take my backlands/sparks dyno DH for a spin on a 155 bpro or 162 option northshore..

·
Registered
8 Posts
@barfoot&poignant

2 cents...I would not worry about your instep gap..infact, me thinks your boot foam piece may contribute to poor circulation. Instead focus on making a deep heel pocket using a 1/2 butterfly on the liner. That way you can use the inner laces to cinch down your shin/cuff area...perhaps use some foam on the outside of the liner tongue to help keep your foot/heel and shin back in the heel pocket. That way you dealt with any heel lift and given some more space for your high instep. With my old 32 double boas, I generally left the bottom boa fairly loose...barely snug and then tightened down the cuff boa...(same thing with the AT boots),. That way I had comfy instep, more space for the toes and warm feet. Look at the boot faq sticky...there should be some pics...if not let me know.

As for compression socks...return them. Get some pinguin wristers...they are neoprene sleeves that fishermen use to help keep their fore arms warm and protected when handling fish. You can get them from LFS in Bham for like $14. Anyway wear them over your socks on your caves. They work great for keeping the circulation going in your feet and give you a lot more endurance/leg through out the day...I consider them an essential piece of gear for my geezeredly self.
I need to look into this butterfly concept further. I can't visualize it. The instep foam helped my heel lift and the poor circulation problems were pretty much unchanged. I just got home after switching out the dialogue regulars for the wides, and swapped the thin compression socks for thicker ones that are closer to my usual smartwool board socks. I was told that compression socks really help keep blood from rushing to the feet, and thus helps prevent circ problems. I put my custom footbeds in, and put them on. They feel really nice and my toes seem to contact the front of the boot more. only issue is that I have a bit too much heel room/movement unless I crank the boas really tight, but I think that could be remedied using boot fitting foam on the sides or a heel wedge. thoughts? The guys at the shop are so adamant that wearing them to break/mould is better than heat moulding, at least at first. sigh. so many conflicting opinions.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
I need to look into this butterfly concept further. I can't visualize it. The instep foam helped my heel lift and the poor circulation problems were pretty much unchanged. I just got home after switching out the dialogue regulars for the wides, and swapped the thin compression socks for thicker ones that are closer to my usual smartwool board socks. I was told that compression socks really help keep blood from rushing to the feet, and thus helps prevent circ problems. I put my custom footbeds in, and put them on. They feel really nice and my toes seem to contact the front of the boot more. only issue is that I have a bit too much heel room/movement unless I crank the boas really tight, but I think that could be remedied using boot fitting foam on the sides or a heel wedge. thoughts? The guys at the shop are so adamant that wearing them to break/mould is better than heat moulding, at least at first. sigh. so many conflicting opinions.
Concur with wearing them in instead of heat moulding...and really consider the half butterflies or even full butterflies if you got skinny calves/legs.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Those are full butterflies

These are half butterflies

and checking pm meow

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Those are full butterflies

These are half butterflies

and checking pm meow
And here are the wristers

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
The thing abt circulation. Blood does go to your feet via the arteries which are more central/inside verses the veins are more on the surface and return blood from your extremities/feet back to yer heart. When riding and sitting on the lift, the blood tends to pool in yer feet. What compression socks do is to help with constricting the veins...so the blood doesn't tend to pool in yer feet. So combining this vein physiology with boots that pinch/clamp down the veins that are on the surface of yer feet...results in poor circulation and subsequently in cold tired feet. So the solution that has worked for me is...using 1/2 butter fly to make the heel pocket deeper for better hold and thus keep the lower boa looser and then use compression sleeve on the calves thus helps the circulation while avoiding pinching off the veins in your feet.

Ime, heel wedges are used to take up some heel volume because the boots are too big or your heels/ankles are too puny. However wedges don't work particularly well with high insteps. In my case making the heel pocket deeper and then shoving/holding the foot back into the heel pocket works better. Besides the butter flies for a deeper pocket, the extra padding on the tongue to help push/hold the whole foot back in to the pocket....having well fitting insoles also help keep the foot locked in place within the boot. The arch of the insole helps. Thus the insole can be adjusted for taking up some volume by adding a boot shim...a thin piece of material or plastic under the insole but inside of the liner. Or you can sand a bit off the bottom of the insole to get more space for your foot.

Anyhows, I'm old and want happy feet with a performance fit. Disclaimer: Not a boot fitter but have learned a lot via experimentation, threads and vids about what works for me...and it only took me 8-10 pairs of boots to get me happy. BTW check out on YT Angery Snowboarder boot fitting

·
Registered
8 Posts
the solution that has worked for me is...using 1/2 butter fly to make the heel pocket deeper for better hold and thus keep the lower boa looser and then use compression sleeve on the calves thus helps the circulation while avoiding pinching off the veins in your feet.

Ime, heel wedges are used to take up some heel volume because the boots are too big or your heels/ankles are too puny. However wedges don't work particularly well with high insteps. In my case making the heel pocket deeper and then shoving/holding the foot back into the heel pocket works better. Besides the butter flies for a deeper pocket, the extra padding on the tongue to help push/hold the whole foot back in to the pocket....having well fitting insoles also help keep the foot locked in place within the boot. The arch of the insole helps. Thus the insole can be adjusted for taking up some volume by adding a boot shim...a thin piece of material or plastic under the insole but inside of the liner. Or you can sand a bit off the bottom of the insole to get more space for your foot.

Thanks for the detailed response. Planning on calling a bootfitter this morning for butterflies & tongue padding, as well as some BD heat mouldable insoles... then I'm off to Mt. Cypress to pick up my Season's pass and test these new boots. After wearing them in the house for a while, I can tell they will work for me with a bit of bootfitter additions...

Will let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just up at the mountain now... an excellent bootfitter at a ski /snowboard shop helped me, and we added some quarter butterflies (inserted higher on the outsides of each ankle than on the inside), a heel wedge, and custom heat moulded BD insoles. One run down so far, and came in to pull off a piece of the right ankle foam that was making a pressure point. Heel lift has been minimized, but quite a bit of lift in both feet in the toe box and lower instep. Thinking a thin boot shim, at least for the front half of my feet, might just fill in the extra space nicely...

feels like we're on the right track to making these 7 wides work...

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,039
Hi,

Did you end up getting one of the Salomon Wide boots in size 7? Tha will be the best available (although imperfect) fit for you. 9.5 cm is an EE width at size 6 but is an E width at sizes 6.5 and 7. Because there are no brands that produce any wide boots below size 7 you will be best suited with Salomon's Wide models in size 7 because they are the only brand to produce an E width boot.

STOKED!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you end up getting one of the Salomon Wide boots in size 7? Tha will be the best available (although imperfect) fit for you. 9.5 cm is an EE width at size 6 but is an E width at sizes 6.5 and 7. Because there are no brands that produce any wide boots below size 7 you will be best suited with Salomon's Wide models in size 7 because they are the only brand to produce an E width boot.
exactly. it's all in my posts above. got the dialogue wides in a 7 and added some mods at a shop in town. custom BD footbeds, some soft sponge wedges under the heels, and some modified half butterflies. (see pics) still need some boot shim to take up some of the space in the toe box. we did a heat mould and cranked the lower boa quite tight to make space for my crazy instep bone, which worked, but might have gone a little too hard. I can lift the balls of my feet at least an 8th inch or more. it's nice not having pressure on my instep bone for once, but I think contact would be ideal, rather than space. heel hold is reasonable, and the few test runs I had were pretty good, control wise. I had to crank the upper boas quite tight, mind you. I might benefit from some adhesive boot fitting mat in the instep gap above my high instep bone to keep my feet back in the boot. the extra space resulted in my toes pushing into the liner on heel edge and pulling away from it on toe edge. The heel wedges might be contributing to this, even though they aren't very big (see pics). Should I try without the heel wedges? would that lift the front of my feet up some? or should I get some thin mat to run from around the ball of my feet to the toes? the bd insoles are so thin that I think some padded boot shim material would give me some nice cushioning and fill the space. Riding definitely felt like I was standing on pretty solid soles in the forefoot... I would prefer a little more cushioning.

2021 - 2040 of 2207 Posts