Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2205 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Photon is EEE width and I would not suggest then for you as they are two width sizes larger than your actual width. The suggested boots will be the best choice.

STOKED!
Hi Wired,
Yeah unfortunately couldn't find any Solomon Wides in Australia, but i did get a chance to try on some Burton boots.

Couldn't try 8's as they didn't have any, Will try another shop that may have them.
Photon wide (non step on) in 8.5 i feel my right three toes touching the liner (potentially even curling very slightly), but the big and 2nd not touching (or very slightly just). Rest feels super snug.

I've read your notes before, but is it true everything is meant to be touching? I don't really have that many snow days a year (maybe 2x trips of 4 days each) to break in any boots. Should i really get a US8 and wide? Any time my shoes touch my 2nd toe (longest), i normally get a very painful toe very quickly.

I also currently have no pain issues with my US 9 boots, but i do wear those thick padded ski/snow socks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Wiredsport i an new here but have read many of your posts on boot fitting and realise you are the one. Could you assist me please.

I currently have Burton Motos US7 but my feet feel squished width wise and toes feel a bit curled and are stilling touching the end a bit when I get up on toes. I have high instep which feels squished also. The balls of my feel get hot and tingly. I also get heel lift in these boots.

L: 250mm @ 99mm
R: 247mm @ 96mm

Reading some of your posts previously I was thinking 7.5 of the Salomon wides either dialogue or hi fi??

I live no where near snow or boot places, so a suggestion so I can make an educated online purchase would be really awesome. Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,044
Hi Simetime,
I will be happy to help. Your are correct that 250 mm is Mondopoint 250 or size 7 in snowboard boots (as is 247 mm). 99 mm at this size is EE width which is too large for Salomon's Wide boots. I would strongly suggest either the Burton Ruler wide or Burton Photon Wide in size 7.

STOKED!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Simetime,
I will be happy to help. Your are correct that 250 mm is Mondopoint 250 or size 7 in snowboard boots (as is 247 mm). 99 mm at this size is EE width which is too large for Salomon's Wide boots. I would strongly suggest either the Burton Ruler wide or Burton Photon Wide in size 7.

STOKED!
Thank you @Wiredsport really appreciate it. I actually found my foot width varied a lot depending on what I had been doing and how relaxed my foot is and how much I push my big toe against the wall. Sometimes its about 4mm thinner at 95mm. Any way I really appreciate your guidance. I will stick with size 7 and try and find some Burton ruler wides. Thank you !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Wiredsport sorry to be a pain. Just before I buy the burins I just wanted to check further. I remeasured my width and I believe I may have been over before as I’m more like 95mm. Would you suggest that I get Salomon wides in 7 instead (if they make them as haven’t seen in Australia online anywhere) or should I still stick with the suggested Burton wides. Just concerned my feet might have too much space with Burtons being 3E. I also have high instep and heard Salomon wides are good for that. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,047
@Wiredsport sorry to be a pain. Just before I buy the burins I just wanted to check further. I remeasured my width and I believe I may have been over before as I’m more like 95mm. Would you suggest that I get Salomon wides in 7 instead (if they make them as haven’t seen in Australia online anywhere) or should I still stick with the suggested Burton wides. Just concerned my feet might have too much space with Burtons being 3E. I also have high instep and heard Salomon wides are good for that. Thanks again!
Hi,

Please post up bare foot images of your 4 measurements being taken showing the whole foot, ruler and the wall.

STOKED!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are an easy E width at Mondopoint 250 or size 7 US. You will want the Salomon Wide boots. The Dialogue Wide or Synapse Wide are strongly suggested.
Thank you heaps for checking. I assume Salomon hi fI wide are also ok? I can’t find US7 anywhere online in Salomon wides so I got my work cut out finding a pair. Thank you again mate. You are a legend!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Wiredsport
I'm also new here and looking for new boots.

Feet:
Left 274mm / 104mm
Right 272mm / 104mm
This should be a mondo 275, width E if I'm not mistaken.

I'd like to purchase Burton step on's with the Photon boot.
Width E means I should buy the wide boots, right? :)

Thanks for your help!
Arne

length.jpeg width_left.jpeg width_right.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,055
@Wiredsport
I'm also new here and looking for new boots.

Feet:
Left 274mm / 104mm
Right 272mm / 104mm
This should be a mondo 275, width E if I'm not mistaken.

I'd like to purchase Burton step on's with the Photon boot.
Width E means I should buy the wide boots, right? :)

Thanks for your help!
Arne

View attachment 151952 View attachment 151953 View attachment 151954
Hi,

You are Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. You are also E width. I would strongly suggest either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Salomon Synapse Wide in size 9.5. Burton's Wide models are EEE width and will be too wide for your feet.

STOKED!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

You are Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. You are also E width. I would strongly suggest either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Salomon Synapse Wide in size 9.5. Burton's Wide models are EEE width and will be too wide for your feet.

STOKED!
Thanks for the quick answer.

So the regular Burton boots are too narrow and the wide ones are too wide?
What's the standard width for Burtons according to your table? D?

I was really looking forward to riding step-on this season. Tested and loved the system. :-(

I'll look into Salomon Dialogue or Synapse boots.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,057

I was really looking forward to riding step-on this season. Tested and loved the system. :-(

Yes, that is correct. The "normal" width Burton boots will be too narrow and the Wide models too wide.

·
Registered
221 Posts

It's not necessarily a non-starter. It doesn't look like the end of the tape measure is pushed fully against the wall in your length photo, & you haven't got the full length of your foot against the wall in the width photos - your heels aren't touching the wall. That can make a few mm difference. I'd measure again if I were you, making sure you do it exactly right & with the measure under the part of your foot that you're measuring to ensure it's totally accurate. Even if you still come out at E width, the fact you tested the Step-Ons & loved them suggests you may just have the right shaped foot for them anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a few notes (still update 1 of 2):
1, I forgot to add "money", as I have spent A LOT... I estimate around 600usd total (with new boots, insoles and socks + custom fit and heat molding)... but hope it will all be worth it in the end, as my feet always - always - have been a big problem during the years.
2, The custom insoles were cut to same length as the crappy Adidas original ones (the red only look big in the picture while molding) after the shape was correct.
3, I also chose the Adidas Acerras because of 'Boost Technology' that really ARE way more bouncy than regular EVA outsoles = should spare my knees and ligaments better, also because they are a bit taller saving my quite impressive fat calves from hiback-bite, and also because I want more performance and drive than my old K2 Enders.
4, How come not all liners have this type of 'neoprene-like' stretch material circling the front? An hybrid between the 32 Elite fit liner + the 'stretchy-toe-half-circle' from Adidas (or Vans) should be ace!
5, Frankentstining: I did prefer New England ropes as the Burton Photon Wide use, instead of these steel boa cables + how it also pulls around the back; I would like a top power strap on the liner to ensure it stays shut (especially as I have high insteps that takes up a lot of internal volume) and do away the internal harness lacing; For future models I would like to see some asym tech (like DC use) incorporated + some reflective foil in the bottom of the inner boot + Ride-type 'slime tounge'.

...sorry for all the extra text, but I hope someone may get some insight and will not have to live through what I did.

Update 2 of 2 (after a 3-day trip):

I give the Adidas Acerra 2020 a total 4 out of 5 stars, as of now.

So... I have not reached my goal, yet!
With the current performance fit (Adidas Acerra US10 / Mondo 280 = 3.5*), instead of the earlier comfort fit (K2 Ender US11 / Mondo 290 = 4.5*), the boots are plenty tight and do give more performance... but I have had some foot pain.

First two days I was on my Freeride set-up in Nitro Phantoms, and the third day I was on my Freestyle set-up in Burton Cartel LTD's. Weird conditions, with warm weather, and from wet snow too boiler plate ice, all inbound slopes.

The main issue is the constant pressure on my big toes. First day it was almost overbearing, but after the third day it's still pressure from the front while standing straight but not painful, and while in riding stance in the bindings the pressure was only slight... soon not noticable I estimate. Walking downhill although is outright painful, and I'm a bit scared of my feet (especially big toes) freezing in colder weather. First day I also over-cranked the Boas, resulting in cramping feet with burning sides. Second issue is that the internal J-bars are too aggressive for my heels, making the thin skin under my ankles burn and itch. Third and final issue is that the outsoles seem a bit unstable.

What's great, is the Boost technology, really resulting in more rebound and superior dampening = 5.0*. The double Boa's work as planned, making it possible to leave the bottom part almost totally loose but keeping the top part real tight to ensure absolutely no heel lift + micro adjust the amount of overall stifness. Very small foot print, and the liners easily feel wide enough for my feet with that stretchy material. No pressure points on top of my feet.

Since I did not dare remove the custom insoles... those suckers will stay in, I took a new photo of my foot on top of the original Adidas insoles. Will live with these boots until they fall apart, so will probably return with another update later on.

// T.

Attachments

·
503 Posts
Hi @Wiredsport and great information here.

I've had somewhat of a break from boarding and about to get back into and buy new gear. I've read your posts here and measured up my feet and come up with 2830 length and 100 width which looks like Mondo 285 - sounds right as last week I was in Hakuba and rented gear and boots hired were a 28.5 Head Six00 boots which were super comfortable for the week boarding - no issues at all.

One thing that I'm not 100% sure on though, is matching the board width to boot size and where I find the outer length measurements for each boot and how they correspond to correct board width. Is there a max or min overhang to work with? Am I correct thinking a L binding size would be best? Being a 10.5 a number of the boards I'm looking at are border line in terms of length/width. I was riding a Rome National 158 and Horrorscope 157 and was wondering if I could get away with something a little shorter. Boards I'm looking at include NS Proto Type Two, Yes Great, Nitro Team Gullwing, Lib Tech Box Knife, Jones Mountain Twin, Capita Mercury.

I'm 45 years 178cm/72kg/285

I'm looking at Salomon Synapse or Adidas which i believe might have a smaller OD profile.

2041 - 2060 of 2205 Posts