Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2261 - 2280 of 2303 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I agree on your every single word. Mondo is just an oversimplified and erroneous conversion chart right now for the snowboarding industry, but it gets you close. I really hope to see the day it becomes the standard that our boots are designed around, we're so much behind the skiing industry in that regard.
I use mondo, it works better as a starting point compared to us, eu and what ever else. The benefit is that the casual and recreationalist really don't know what nor how to get a performance fit. There are folks that irrationally expect a boot to fit perfectly right out of the box...and for a very few individuals it works. But for most of us, its a search for the holy grail. In fact after 19 years, I'm still finding and making improvements even with heat mouldable shells. Wired has helped and stoked a ton of folks. I look forward to what stoke and positive vibes that you bring to the flock.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You know, I referenced Galileo in another thread, but it's really true. I'm saying the earth revolves around sun, and you're trying to execute me.
You're more like the evangelicals that wake you up every Saturday morning when you just got to sleep. You ask them to be more considerate of your lifestyle, and they just keep coming with their pamphlets. I'm not saying you can't share your viewpoints, just tone it down a little please. If someone asks you to stay out of their thread, you should respect that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been searching for a right boot for a while now.
I try to treat it like a tennis shoes and obviously it's not the case. Once next seasons starts and unfortunately only 1 company makes them in E wide. I'll have to give that a go. And hopefully I wont have to keep searching.
It's one of the reasons I'm not going this seasons

we live in a space ship dear!

·
Banned
124 Posts
I use mondo, it works better as a starting point compared to us, eu and what ever else. The benefit is that the casual and recreationalist really don't know what nor how to get a performance fit. There are folks that irrationally expect a boot to fit perfectly right out of the box...and for a very few individuals it works. But for most of us, its a search for the holy grail. In fact after 19 years, I'm still finding and making improvements even with heat mouldable shells. Wired has helped and stoked a ton of folks. I look forward to what stoke and positive vibes that you bring to the flock.
Yeah I acknowledged that many times, I actually don't think he is a bad guy at all, he's just too proud to even consider he might be wrong about the whole "manufacturers design around mondopoint" issue.

I'm all for the foot photos, If it's floating his boat and it's helping people it's a win-win. And I'm neither here to replace him nor compete against him.

You mentioned heat moldable shells, are we talking hard boots here?

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Yeah I acknowledged that many times, I actually don't think he is a bad guy at all, he's just too proud to even consider he might be wrong about the whole "manufacturers design around mondopoint" issue.

I'm all for the foot photos, If it's floating his boat and it's helping people it's a win-win. And I'm neither here to replace him nor compete against him.

You mentioned heat moldable shells, are we talking hard boots here?
Yup, a convert to atomic backlands, currently 3rd season, still doing some tweaking, and a true believer that I will improve the fit and performance. Having said this, earlier this year spent a day on my old 32 focus boas but put the atomic backland tongues between the shell and the liner for stiffening. Holy shit, they fit perfectly, no hot spots and the stiffest soft boot I've ever had. Also threw on my old stiff metal Ride bindings on my little stiff cambered fr board and had a hard on all day long.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,661 Posts
View attachment 156001

@Donutz if you want to ban me just because you want to protect @Wiredsport, do it right now.

My aim is not to hurt anybody, I just am trying to help the community.

You know, I referenced Galileo in another thread, but it's really true. I'm saying the earth revolves around sun, and you're trying to execute me.

You can do it, I don't mind.
You got it. You probably should have read the member guidelines before writing this post. Oh, and also:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Yup, a convert to atomic backlands, currently 3rd season, still doing some tweaking, and a true believer that I will improve the fit and performance. Having said this, earlier this year spent a day on my old 32 focus boas but put the atomic backland tongues between the shell and the liner for stiffening. Holy shit, they fit perfectly, no hot spots and the stiffest soft boot I've ever had. Also threw on my old stiff metal Ride bindings on my little stiff cambered fr board and had a hard on all day long.
Can you buy the tongues separately? Or are they basically like the eliminator tongue shim inserts?

I really like my TM3s but they're good on length but too high volume for my feet. I end up getting toe bang from the pressure increasing on my toes from the movement at my ankles. Getting things locked back would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Now that that's all done with...

@Wiredsport et al.

Any Recs for boots for low volume calves /ankles?

Currently in 32 TM3s that seem to fit worse after I lost 20lbs in the off season.

I just tried k2 thraxis and the heel hold is amazing, but one of the boa harness guides in the boot digs into my ankle and just isn't workable.

I tried a set of ride lassos that I recall working okay so I ordered a set to try again. I posted on angry snowboarder and he recommended Salomon as a brand. Any particular models you recommend I try out? I know you know the brand well.

Any other recs for brands and models?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Another potentially dumb question...

Do most boots within a brand fit similarly? I tried a bunch of stuff today and shockingly the burton ruler fit pretty well... It's too soft for me but maybe something else in their line?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do most boots within a brand fit similarly? I tried a bunch of stuff today and shockingly the burton ruler fit pretty well... It's too soft for me but maybe something else in their line?
Nope, you have to try them.
From one model to another the liner can be different, the boot shape too. For me, having a strong instep, the tongue placement is very important and I can't use the ruler, but the photon is ok.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Can you buy the tongues separately? Or are they basically like the eliminator tongue shim inserts?

I really like my TM3s but they're good on length but too high volume for my feet. I end up getting toe bang from the pressure increasing on my toes from the movement at my ankles. Getting things locked back would be awesome.
Yes, I think they may work better because they are formed over the instep, they might also be heat mouldable. It also might help deal with the boa hot spot you mentioned.
Spare Parts | Men | Atomic.com INT

·
Registered
913 Posts
Now that that's all done with...

@Wiredsport et al.

Any Recs for boots for low volume calves /ankles?

Currently in 32 TM3s that seem to fit worse after I lost 20lbs in the off season.

I just tried k2 thraxis and the heel hold is amazing, but one of the boa harness guides in the boot digs into my ankle and just isn't workable.

I tried a set of ride lassos that I recall working okay so I ordered a set to try again. I posted on angry snowboarder and he recommended Salomon as a brand. Any particular models you recommend I try out? I know you know the brand well.

Any other recs for brands and models?
I feel your pain. Not only do I have skinny ankles, but the front half of my foot is wide. Different problem than yours, but only solution I've found are wide Salomon with a ton of foam in the ankle area. K2 wide was a bust, not wide enough in the toe box.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I feel your pain. Not only do I have skinny ankles, but the front half of my foot is wide. Different problem than yours, but only solution I've found are wide Salomon with a ton of foam in the ankle area. K2 wide was a bust, not wide enough in the toe box.
And I feel your pain, only amplified. Skinny ankles, normal heel, EEE-wide front foot, high instep, high arches, collapsed front foot valves. Suffering from searing front foot pain after only a couple hours of riding. Got custom made footbeds and wide Photons and that made things better, but not good. Have bought Katanas to replace my Cartels to alleviate instep pressure but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Next step will be aggressive modding of the liners.

If it doesn't work out I'm seriously going to consider the hardboot route because I'm getting desperate (hope BA doesn't see this because I know he'll shit on me😅) - bye-bye board feel. Or at least that super-weird hydrid boot, Ground Control from Deeluxe.

·
Registered
913 Posts
And I feel your pain, only amplified. Skinny ankles, normal heel, EEE-wide front foot, high instep, high arches, collapsed front foot valves. Suffering from searing front foot pain after only a couple hours of riding. Got custom made footbeds and wide Photons and that made things better, but not good. Have bought Katanas to replace my Cartels to alleviate instep pressure but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Next step will be aggressive modding of the liners.

If it doesn't work out I'm seriously going to consider the hardboot route because I'm getting desperate (hope BA doesn't see this because I know he'll shit on me) - bye-bye board feel. Or at least that super-weird hydrid boot, Ground Control from Deeluxe.
Maybe look at the Phantom booties too. Sounds brutal, instep is the top of the foot, right? I've got highish arches, that was thankfully a pretty easy fix.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Maybe look at the Phantom booties too. Sounds brutal, instep is the top of the foot, right? I've got highish arches, that was thankfully a pretty easy fix.
Top of the foot, yes. I don't think the Phantom modding route is the way to go for me - I'm too lazy. Plus, I doubt they can get wide enough for me even with molding the shell. Plus, with a 10.5 foot I think I'll get some serious overhang in ski boots.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Top of the foot, yes. I don't think the Phantom modding route is the way to go for me - I'm too lazy. Plus, I doubt they can get wide enough for me even with molding the shell. Plus, with a 10.5 foot I think I'll get some serious overhang in ski boots.
These are splitboard specific ones they just released. I don't really know much about them though, so you're probably right. Might just have to go back to Sorels!

2261 - 2280 of 2303 Posts