Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
2441 - 2460 of 2485 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks so much for this info. I don’t have images handy but I measured using your direction from other posts and trust the numbers.

Those Salomon options sound perfect. Gonna give them a try if I can find them in store in the northeast.

As far as the Burton width, my understanding from a little research and talking with staff at the Burton store is that the wide versions have the same boot shell as the normal width, but with a liner that’s thinner in targeted areas to accommodate the wider foot. Maybe that’s changed recently? I’ve been riding the 13 wides for a couple years and the width feels really nice, so I’m reluctant to stray from wides for the step-ons.

I believe it’s only their step ons that use the same shell for the wide version. Their other wide boots do have a wider shell

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Wiredsport

Thanks you so much for your advice and very speedy response.

I have been using Flow rear entry bindings as most of my friends are skiers and I like the ease of use. Perhaps I might be better off with a set of new Flow Bindings with standard wide fitting boots rather than Step Ons? I'm generally an all mountain type boarder sticking mainly to the resort and very little time in the park. Any advice on the right flow binding and boot combo?

Thanks
John
Hi JWG,

You are Mondopoint 270 or size 9 US in snowboard boots. Your width is 11 cm which is a EEE width and requires very specific boots. The Burton Ruler Wide or Photon Wide in size 9 will be great choices as Burton designs these for EEE width. Step on boots can create pain issues due to construction that are not associated with standard boots. You will definitely want to try those on before you commit.

STOKED!
Hi Wiredsport

Many thanks again for your previous advice. I parked my new boot purchasing for a while to allow the new models for 2021/22 to become available, which they are now! I am keen to go with the latest Burton Step On bindings which have new redesigned toe/side clips which Burton claim helps relieve the side pressure, so better for wider feet. I plan to pair them with a pair of Burton Photon Wide Step On Boots. I will need to order online from Burton as there is no local shop in Ireland that seems to stock these. I can however take the boots to Snow & Rock for heat moulding after I receive them, which I intend to do.

Just wanted to confirm the exact size I should buy. I know my foot is wide EEE and I need a wide boot as previously advised, but want to confirm that I deffinitely order the the Mondo 270, US 9, UK 8 mens boot size? To recap my feet are pretty much exactly 270mm long without socks. I'm a little concerned that with socks I may need to upsize a US 9.5 instead? Or do you think I should simply go with the US 9 size? My only concern is as I don't have the opportunity to try on the various sizes in a store, I may need to return and order again online which .

Thanks again
J

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,443 ·
Hi Wiredsport

Many thanks again for your previous advice. I parked my new boot purchasing for a while to allow the new models for 2021/22 to become available, which they are now! I am keen to go with the latest Burton Step On bindings which have new redesigned toe/side clips which Burton claim helps relieve the side pressure, so better for wider feet. I plan to pair them with a pair of Burton Photon Wide Step On Boots. I will need to order online from Burton as there is no local shop in Ireland that seems to stock these. I can however take the boots to Snow & Rock for heat moulding after I receive them, which I intend to do.

Just wanted to confirm the exact size I should buy. I know my foot is wide EEE and I need a wide boot as previously advised, but want to confirm that I deffinitely order the the Mondo 270, US 9, UK 8 mens boot size? To recap my feet are pretty much exactly 270mm long without socks. I'm a little concerned that with socks I may need to upsize a US 9.5 instead? Or do you think I should simply go with the US 9 size? My only concern is as I don't have the opportunity to try on the various sizes in a store, I may need to return and order again online which .

Thanks again
J
Hi JWG,

If you would like to post up images of your four barefoot measurements being taken I will be happy to confirm your measurements. Using the measurements above, you are definitely Mondopoint 270. That is US 9 in snowboard boots. I would not suggest using your UK size as that conversion can vary. The range for a Mondopoint size is only 5 mm and it is already adjusted for barefoot measurement. I still cannot offer any assurances about Step-On as they are still not a boot that we suggest for Wide feet. That will need to be left to individual experimentation.

STOKED!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is true mondo recommended for backcountry hiking & riding or would it be better to go half a size / full size up? Thinking about how I’ll feel about that firm pressure on my toes / performance fit after a nice long boot up a hill. Can’t wait to get out at the local resort and rip it for the first time in my life in my true mondo size, but nervous about how my toes will fair during a good bc boot pack.

how does it feel when touring on a splitboard at true mondo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi JWG,

If you would like to post up images of your four barefoot measurements being taken I will be happy to confirm your measurements. Using the measurements above, you are definitely Mondopoint 270. That is US 9 in snowboard boots. I would not suggest using your UK size as that conversion can vary. The range for a Mondopoint size is only 5 mm and it is already adjusted for barefoot measurement. I still cannot offer any assurances about Step-On as they are still not a boot that we suggest for Wide feet. That will need to be left to individual experimentation.

STOKED!
Hi Wiredsport

Already sent photos on page 119 of this thread Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock &amp...

You recommended that based on my feet being pretty much exactly 270mm long and 110mm wide (EEE) I should go for a Size 9 US in the Burton Photon or Ruler Wide. My only concern is if I should go for the Size US 9 or 9.5 wide boot? Does Apex's point above make sense? Is this fit going to be a performance fit or a little more relaxed? I generally only go snowboarding for 1 or 2 weeks per year to a resort in the Alps so not going to put many miles on them.

Thanks Again
J

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,446 ·
HI JWG,

A few things. A measurement of exactly 270 is Mondo 270. There are only 5 mm values per size and this is definitely one of them.

Your images show you as mid range, not at the max of 270. Even if you were you should still be riding at 270 or size US 9.

Terms like performance fit and comfort fit should be avoided. Those should be called "correct fit" and "too loose"

STOKED!

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI JWG,

A few things. A measurement of exactly 270 is Mondo 270. There are only 5 mm values per size and this is definitely one of them.

Your images show you as mid range, not at the max of 270. Even if you were you should still be riding at 270 or size US 9.

Terms like performance fit and comfort fit should be avoided. Those should be called "correct fit" and "too loose"

STOKED!
Great thanks!
I'll order the Burton Photon Step On Wide in size 9US. I understand you don't fully recommend the Step On system for wide feet, but now that Burton have "tweaked" the setup for wide boots for the 2021/22 season, I'll try them out and report back. Worst case scenario I can use the Burton free return service and send them back if they don't work out.

Thanks for al your help.
J

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read some articles that did state for a back country boot you may want half a size up of wiggle room for hiking / mountaineering. It makes sense to me as when you are climbing up the hill you aren’t in a riding stance that would pull your toes off the front of the boot but idk I’m a bc rookie so I was hoping some of the more experience guys could chime in.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,449 ·
Extra room allows foot motion where the foot is allowed to move back and forth. This is the #1 cause of black toenails, etc. Snowboard boots have a compliant liner which allows support and stability without discomfort. This is equally true for BC use and hiking. PS: Never unlace to hike.

STOKED!

·
Registered
8 Posts
After reading this thread, looking at your site, and measuring my feet, I think I may know the source of my foot pain while boarding in that my feet are both 26cm x 9.1cm and I've been wearing size 9.5 shoes and riding size 9.5 boots my whole adult life. Do you think driver x's would fit me well and if so what size would you recommend? If not what other stiff boots would be good for my feet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's weird is that in my current 9.5 burton vikings my toes touch the front of the boots, but I'm pretty sure they weren't like that when I got them and it could be attributable to oftentimes putting them on the heating vent when coming home from boarding.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,452 ·
Hi Exalted,

If you would like me to confirm those measurements, please post up the 4 images of your barefoot measurements being taken. 26 cm is Mondopoint 260 or size 8 US in snowboard boots. 9.1 cm is a C width which is narrower than "standard" D width.

STOKED!

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,454 ·
Hi Exalted,
Are these images with the same ruler (4 mm at the end). The measurements are otherwise correctly taken but I am unable to read the values due to small images and old eyes :). Please let me know the actual corrected values.

STOKED!

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,456 ·
Got it. You are Mondopoint 270 or US size 9 in snowboard boots. You are a "standard" D width. Your larger foot is mid-range for size 9 but your smaller foot is the longest measurement for 8.5. The Driver X in size 9 will certainly fit, but it should be mentioned that many riders move away from stiff boots when they size down. You may find that you get better performance now from a mid flex boot. Correct sizing does a world of good!

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive review on the site below would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered some burton slx in 9.5 about a week ago and they just got here, my feet are very snug in the liners but I have almost 2 cm behind my heel if I take out the liners and slide my foot forward in the shells. I can see how after heat molding and some riding, a smaller boot would be much better for my feet. Thanks for the help and insight!

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,458 ·
I ordered some burton slx in 9.5 about a week ago and they just got here, my feet are very snug in the liners but I have almost 2 cm behind my heel if I take out the liners and slide my foot forward in the shells. I can see how after heat molding and some riding, a smaller boot would be much better for my feet. Thanks for the help and insight!
Please pull the insert out of the boot for your smaller foot and stand on it barefoot with your heel all the way back in the heel detent. Please post an image of that.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,460 ·
Hi,
Yes, so in a correctly fit boot we will see about 1 cm of barefoot overhang. That is really important for many reasons. One being that without sufficient overhang (and pressure into the compliant materials of the liner) your heat fit will not be effective.

STOKED!

2441 - 2460 of 2485 Posts