Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
2481 - 2497 of 2497 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,481 ·
Haha yeah that nail is a little embarrassing. I wear thin socks to work every day, should I go to the store and try on size 10 with these?

If it feels too uncomfortable should I compromise with 10.5? I promise I'm not trying to be difficult with insisting on asking about it, with my length being on the borderline between 10 and 10.5 I figured I may need the larger of the two given how I expect the size 10 boots to feel, even barefooted

Should I try them on barefooted?
Hi,

Let's try with your thin socks and see how we fare. The entire range for a mondo size is only 5mm. You are in that range for Mondo 280 or US size 10 so that really is your size. Lace tightly and let us know how it goes.

STOKED!

·
Registered
B Custom 162, NS Protoslinger 160X, NS Swift Split 167, Orca 159, Alchemist 159W
46 Posts
First day out in the size 10 photon wide and my toes did start to fall asleep, there is no pain or hotspots though. I did have the boots heat molded and I am using aftermarket insoles. Only did 4 laps before I had to head into work. Was great to get out and carve. I have the burton thin socks but I’m going to try to find something thinner. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
B Custom 162, NS Protoslinger 160X, NS Swift Split 167, Orca 159, Alchemist 159W
46 Posts
Those are the socks I’m using. I have one pair of synthetic hiking socks that are thinner I’m going to try, they aren’t as thick in the toe and heel as the burton socks

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,485 ·
Hi Apex,
First day out in the size 10 photon wide and my toes did start to fall asleep, there is no pain or hotspots though. I did have the boots heat molded and I am using aftermarket insoles. Only did 4 laps before I had to head into work. Was great to get out and carve. I have the burton thin socks but I’m going to try to find something thinner. Any suggestions?
Hi Apex,
Glad to hear that you got in some turns! Keep in mind that you are going to see a full size (1 cm) of break in over the next few weeks. You may want to loosen your boots a bit between runs if needed at first (it won't be for long). Burton's thin socks will be fine. Aftermarket insoles can take up a bit of extra room over stock insoles but based on what you have written above, it sounds like you are set up for a great, longterm fit.

STOKED!

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Salomon Wides are an accurate and consistent E width across sizes. The Burton Wides are an accurate and consistent EEE width across sizes. The Maysis Wide (K2's wide model) is closer to the Burton's but they do not list a width. The Maysis uses the Conda harness system which works well for some riders and creates issues for others. That makes it a bit hard to suggest as there is often disappointment. Ride now has a wide Model in the Lasso Wide. They also do not list the width and it is early to say and we don't have that info across sizes. That makes it a bit hard to suggest at this point.
Hi @Wiredsport

So I've been looking for the Salomon Synapse Wide but there literally is nothing available in my size. Do you have any alternative recommendations for me? The Dialogue is too soft for me so that's not an option I'm afraid.

I have tried the Ride Insano and Trident which both seemed to fit great. Two things though

1. Mondo: the 28.5 Mondo was a great fit out of the box in terms of length and width. I however am getting some heel lift in the 28.5 plus am worried they will pack out even more and therefore tried the 28.0 Mondo which are very snug out of the box (but still good width wise). So think from that perspective the 28.0 actually would better. Do Ride boots run large?
  2. Ankle pressure: now, whilst the 28.0 fit well overall I unfortunately get a pressure point on my ankle (right on the outside bone that sticks out). From experience this is not a good sign and will be a tonne worse out on the mountain which makes me go back to square one and actually not want either of those boots.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,487 ·
Hi @Wiredsport

So I've been looking for the Salomon Synapse Wide but there literally is nothing available in my size. Do you have any alternative recommendations for me? The Dialogue is too soft for me so that's not an option I'm afraid.

I have tried the Ride Insano and Trident which both seemed to fit great. Two things though

1. Mondo: the 28.5 Mondo was a great fit out of the box in terms of length and width. I however am getting some heel lift in the 28.5 plus am worried they will pack out even more and therefore tried the 28.0 Mondo which are very snug out of the box (but still good width wise). So think from that perspective the 28.0 actually would better. Do Ride boots run large?
  2. Ankle pressure: now, whilst the 28.0 fit well overall I unfortunately get a pressure point on my ankle (right on the outside bone that sticks out). From experience this is not a good sign and will be a tonne worse out on the mountain which makes me go back to square one and actually not want either of those boots.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Hi Edi,
I will be happy to help. Please link me to your post showing your measurements.

STOKED!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Edi,
I will be happy to help. Please link me to your post showing your measurements.

STOKED!
Hi,

You are Mondopoint 285 or size 10.5 US in Snowboard boots. You are also an E width. My top suggestions would be either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Synapse Wide in size 10.5. Both are E width.

STOKED!
Pictures deleted but your post above confirms the measurements :)

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,489 ·
The only real options available for your specs are the Dialogue Wide and the Synapse Wide. Once you are in your correct Mondopoint size, previous stiffness requirements are often no longer required. More on this here:

STOKED!

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only real options available for your specs are the Dialogue Wide and the Synapse Wide. Once you are in your correct Mondopoint size, previous stiffness requirements are often no longer required. More on this here:

STOKED!
Thank you very much for the video - will take a look later today.

I appreciate that your advice to go for either of the two Salomon wide boots as the ideal solution. But for one reason or the other this simply wont work for me. What I'm trying to ask or say is that surely there are more options out there than just these two. Mind you, should Salomon for whatever other reason not be a good fit (I think there is more to boot fit than just the combination of width and length) for me in general, say too narrow/wide at the calf, according to your post above I basically could stop snowboarding and I know that's not the case :).

So, I was wondering whether you had any second best options I could try. As said above, the normal width Ride boots fit great if it wasnt for a small pressure point on my ankle.

And I'd also be curious to hear your much valued thoughts as to why the 28.0 Mondo seemed to be a better fit than the 28.5 which is my actual size according to the measurements (I can repost the pictures if that'd be helpful).

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,491 ·
Hi Edi,

Just a few years ago there was only one wide boot model on the market. One. We are doing a little better now but there is still only one manufacturer that designs boots for E width. Those will work very well for you in your mondopoint size. I am happy that we have a good option for you at all. I would not suggest any of the boot options you have mentioned above. Please keep in mind that you are looking for long term fit.

STOKED!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi @Wiredsport I could use some help. Almost 2 years ago I asked you for help with sizing and your advice was:
We have a number of things going on. You smaller foot is Mondopoint 255. This is US size 7.5 in Men's boots and US size 8.5 in Women's boots. Your larger foot is Mondopoint 265 which is US size 8.5 in Men's boots and size 9.5 in Women's boots. BUT, women's boots are all built for B width and you foot is D width. While there are no wide models produced for women, you are fortunate that Men's standard boots are all D width. So, you will want to downsize to a Men's size 8.5 US (Mondopoint 265). You will still have a size discrepancy between your two feet but otherwise you will be in great shape.
At first I tried on shoes at some brick ad mortar stores, but nothing really fit the way I'd like them to and I wanted to keep searching but then the pandemic happened...
Anyway, last year I completely ruined my old boots and no longer have the option of taking my time. Stores are also closed here so based on prior knowledge I ordered 2 boots online over Black Friday, so I could compare them.
Both hurt my feet, but in different ways and I don't know which to potentially keep.

Burton Women's Limelight Boa 10: Size (lengthwise) is spot on. My foot gets squeezed, the pain sets in in about half an hour and after an hour or two it gets to a point where I need to take the boots off. A bit of heel lift but not too bad. They fit my calf great.
The liner is heat moldable - I don't know if getting them heat molded can help enough to get them to be wider. (I've also seen a guy on youtube recommend cutting the side of the liner slightly - is that something you'd recommend?)

Niedecker Men's Triton 8.5: Size (lengthwise) is spot on. My foot it comfy, has loads of space. While sitting I can have them on for hours I worry it has too much space, though, considering its a heat moldable liner and will probably pack out even more. Maybe I'm just used to having my foot squeezed, but I worry this will really affect responsiveness/safety. My heel lifts quite a lot, I worry I won't even be able to fix this with J bars. The boot digs into my calf when standing and it hurts quite a bit - I don't know if I'll get used to this. I'm kind of worried. I know the devil of having my foot squeezed, I don't know the devil of having my calf dug into. I worry it'll trigger a cramp while riding, causing me to fall.

Which of the boots would you recommend, if any? Any tips on how to alleviate the unique problems of the boot that you do think is better?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for everything you do :)

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,493 ·
Hi @Wiredsport I could use some help. Almost 2 years ago I asked you for help with sizing and your advice was:

At first I tried on shoes at some brick ad mortar stores, but nothing really fit the way I'd like them to and I wanted to keep searching but then the pandemic happened...
Anyway, last year I completely ruined my old boots and no longer have the option of taking my time. Stores are also closed here so based on prior knowledge I ordered 2 boots online over Black Friday, so I could compare them.
Both hurt my feet, but in different ways and I don't know which to potentially keep.

Burton Women's Limelight Boa 10: Size (lengthwise) is spot on. My foot gets squeezed, the pain sets in in about half an hour and after an hour or two it gets to a point where I need to take the boots off. A bit of heel lift but not too bad. They fit my calf great.
The liner is heat moldable - I don't know if getting them heat molded can help enough to get them to be wider. (I've also seen a guy on youtube recommend cutting the side of the liner slightly - is that something you'd recommend?)

Niedecker Men's Triton 8.5: Size (lengthwise) is spot on. My foot it comfy, has loads of space. While sitting I can have them on for hours I worry it has too much space, though, considering its a heat moldable liner and will probably pack out even more. Maybe I'm just used to having my foot squeezed, but I worry this will really affect responsiveness/safety. My heel lifts quite a lot, I worry I won't even be able to fix this with J bars. The boot digs into my calf when standing and it hurts quite a bit - I don't know if I'll get used to this. I'm kind of worried. I know the devil of having my foot squeezed, I don't know the devil of having my calf dug into. I worry it'll trigger a cramp while riding, causing me to fall.

Which of the boots would you recommend, if any? Any tips on how to alleviate the unique problems of the boot that you do think is better?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for everything you do :)
Hi,

Was the Limelight the new Wide model? Burton is doing some wide models for women this season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Was the Limelight the new Wide model? Burton is doing some wide models for women this season.
Hi,
no, it was the regular model. I didn't even know the wider model was available. I messaged Burton EU about wide women's boots specifically (asking whether they make them/plan on making them) and they replied: "Unfortunately we are not planning in producing wide Boots for Women in the near future".

Edit: I went to check the website and found the wide limelight boots, but they're sold out in all colors and all sizes. I find it strange that they told me they have no plans to make wide boots for women when they clearly have a wide women's boot in their lineup. Maybe they don't plan on making more and that's why they're sold out?

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,495 ·
Hi,
no, it was the regular model. I didn't even know the wider model was available. I messaged Burton EU about wide women's boots specifically (asking whether they make them/plan on making them) and they replied: "Unfortunately we are not planning in producing wide Boots for Women in the near future".

Edit: I went to check the website and found the wide limelight boots, but they're sold out in all colors and all sizes. I find it strange that they told me they have no plans to make wide boots for women when they clearly have a wide women's boot in their lineup. Maybe they don't plan on making more and that's why they're sold out?
Hi,

The wide models are brand new for this 2021/2022 season. They are making Mint, Supreme, Limelight and Limelight step-on in WIde.

STOKED!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Wiredsport any chance of updating the snowboardbootsizer.com to add width measurements? I've found it's really hard to find any sort of consistent info on what widths classify as "regular" or "wide". Google searching "foot width chart" returns a bunch of different sites with different sizing methodologies. I know my foot width now (EEE) but it took a lot of research on sketchy sites, loading up JPEG width charts, and trying to determine which site I trusted enough, since what one site might tell me is a EEE was another site's E.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,497 · (Edited)
@Wiredsport any chance of updating the snowboardbootsizer.com to add width measurements? I've found it's really hard to find any sort of consistent info on what widths classify as "regular" or "wide". Google searching "foot width chart" returns a bunch of different sites with different sizing methodologies. I know my foot width now (EEE) but it took a lot of research on sketchy sites, loading up JPEG width charts, and trying to determine which site I trusted enough, since what one site might tell me is a EEE was another site's E.
Hi Paint,

This is the correct width chart for barefoot measurements. https://www.wiredsport.com/width2.JPG

We considered adding width to the sizer as well but decided that this still needs to be a conversation as no brands label their boots using Mondopoint width or even conventional letter widths. It is a major source of confusion. I may update the site to have a width slider which produces both a conventional width aand a Mondo width and a "wide warning" for riders who go over standard D.

2481 - 2497 of 2497 Posts