Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Snowboard Boot Size Web Tool - Mondo, Brannock & Internet

317127 2684
STOKED!

Snowboardbootsizer.com

We have a new project that we have been working on which we wanted to share with the SBF faithful. When complete it will be a suite of web tools that we hope will be helpful as an informational early step in the gear selection process.

As some of you know we are chronic measurebaters and (almost certainly overly analytical) gear tweakers. It has recently (and sadly, accurately) pointed out here that I likely also have a bit bit of a unhealthy foot fetish. To that point...

The first tool is pretty straight forward. The goal is to illustrate the bizarre and very confusing state of footwear sizing as it exists today.

It is designed to provide information that can then be taken to a local shop for a try-on or to a website for a better informed starting point in that purchase process.

What it does: It uses your foot measurement to produce and compare your snowboard boot size to both the size that a Brannock Device (the device used at most footwear stores and even many snowboard shops) would produce for that same foot measurement and the "internet size" that would be produced (we use the largest internet footwear retailers live data for this).

You will find that there is a substantial difference (how large difference varies by foot measurement) in the three sizes.

We would consider this sizer to be a huge success if it steers any new riders away from basing boot buying decisions on "shoe size" and taking only their mondopoint or "snowboard boot size" with them into the buying process.

We will be adding to the FAQ this week and tweaking cross browser formatting but the core is complete.

We hope this is useful to someone. We have a lot of fun doing this stuff and it is a great excuse to fondle some feet...ooooohhhhh lovely feet....
2641 - 2660 of 2685 Posts

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 ·
What's the point of measuring your foot width? AS far as I know companies don't give out widths. I have 32 boots tm3's and there is no size of width or volume.
Hi Ian,

Foot width is every bit as important as length. To get it right you need to measure and match both.

While standard foot width is D width for Men and B width for women, we now have entries at E width (Salomon Wide), EE width (Ride Lasso Pro Wide) and EEE width (Burton ION Wide, Ruler Wide, Moto Wide). These all either are, or have previously been noted by the brands as designed for these specific widths. Additionally, we have other wide models that, while never width specified, we have some clues about.

STOKED!

· Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the additional images. This confirms Mondopoint 270 (hot or cold) and E width (not EE). There is only one manufacturer that produces their wide boots for E width and that is Salomon. I would strongly suggest the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Synapse Wide in US size 9.

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

Hi @Wiredsport long ago thread/post, but with regards to my feet, can I check if its possible for me to use US8.5 Salomon Dialogue Wide JP instead of the US9 as I can only for US8.5. Thank you!

· Registered
96 Posts
Hi @Wiredsport,

Thank you for your prompt reply. As for my measurement, the ruler has a gap of 2mm, so we have to subtract the 2mm from the readings.
Apologies, I just retook my feel measurements and its weird that its slightly different - not sure why. Could it be because its night time here and temperature is cooler and feet tend to shrink a little? the width of my feet measurement differs, as you can see i place my feet very lightly touching the wall and not squeezing against the wall.
View attachment 153535 View attachment 153534 View attachment 153536 View attachment 153539 View attachment 153538

However previously measured with the mondopoint scale at a shoe shop. I was told I have an E or EE foot. Could it be temperature? And we should based it off when feet is warm?

Thanks again.
@Wiredsport this was my old thread/post

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi Wiredsport,

First off, thank you for the amazing method and for helping so many people in here get the right boots for their feet.

Ive been trying to find a pair of beginner boots that fit perfectly for a long time but I have always had issues one way or another. Im pretty sure I have wide feet as I had them measured at the Burton store in New York, but I wanted to use your method as its clearly very effective. Attached are images (along with the measurements) of both the length and width of my feet (sorry about the feet pics as mine aren't pretty lol)

Fingers crossed that the pics I've attached are good enough, but if they aren't, let me know and ill provide what you need. Fingers crossed this will finally be the day I get well-fitted boots after having issue after issue with previous ones.
Plant Thermometer Rectangle Wood Tree

Rectangle Wood Composite material Font Road surface

Rectangle Font Parallel Wood Flooring

Wood Rectangle Ruler Tool Office ruler

Finger Wall Tints and shades Beige Human leg

Gesture Finger Wood Barefoot Thumb

Hand Leg Human body Wood Gesture

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist

Thanks,

Gari.

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,645 ·
Hi Gari,

I will be happy to help. Your images are terrific! You are Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. You are an E width which does require a very specific Wide boot. You will want either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Salomon Synapse Wide in Mondo 275. As always you will want to have your heat fit done first thing.

STOKED!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi Gari,

I will be happy to help. Your images are terrific! You are Mondopoint 275 or size 9.5 US in snowboard boots. You are an E width which does require a very specific Wide boot. You will want either the Salomon Dialogue Wide or Salomon Synapse Wide in Mondo 275. As always you will want to have your heat fit done first thing.

STOKED!
Thanks so much for helping out. I take it these boots that you've recommended are good for beginners, right?

If I have issues finding these (for whatever reason), are there any other brands/models that you would recommend?

EDIT: Just to be 100% sure (and so I don't mess up when ordering boots online for example), do snowboarding companies use snowboard boots sizing or internet shoe size on their boxes?

Thanks again!

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,647 ·
Thanks so much for helping out. I take it these boots that you've recommended are good for beginners, right?

If I have issues finding these (for whatever reason), are there any other brands/models that you would recommend?

EDIT: Just to be 100% sure (and so I don't mess up when ordering boots online for example), do snowboarding companies use snowboard boots sizing or internet shoe size on their boxes?

Thanks again!
Hi,

Yes, beginners will always benefit from a great boot. There is nothing about a snowboard boot which is skill related. Great boots, if well fit, will benefit riders of all abilities.

Salomon is currently the only brand producing for E width (and only for their wide models). These will be the ideal choice for you.

It is always best to order your mondopoint size. Mondopoint will always appear on the boot box or the boot itself. Salomon will have 275 (27.5) and size 9.5. That is what you want.

If the assistance provided has been helpful to you, your positive reviews on either of the sites below (or both) would be greatly appreciated. STOKED!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

Yes, beginners will always benefit from a great boot. There is nothing about a snowboard boot which is skill related. Great boots, if well fit, will benefit riders of all abilities.

Salomon is currently the only brand producing for E width (and only for their wide models). These will be the ideal choice for you.

It is always best to order your mondopoint size. Mondopoint will always appear on the boot box or the boot itself. Salomon will have 275 (27.5) and size 9.5. That is what you want.

Perfect, thank you so much. I will 100% leave positive reviews for you as you've helped me out so much.

One last thing though (just to be sure). I'm right in saying that a snowboard boot size is different to a size when you'd buy sneakers though, right? as according to my mondopoint size (275) that is a U.S mens size 9.5 (which is a 8.5 mens UK size) and there is no way I wear a 8.5 in UK sneakers. I hope that makes sense lol

EDIT: Maybe I am a 8.5 UK mens and I’ve just been wearing the wrong size all this time

Thanks again!

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,649 ·
Perfect, thank you so much. I will 100% leave positive reviews for you as you've helped me out so much.

One last thing though (just to be sure). I'm right in saying that a snowboard boot size is different to a size when you'd buy sneakers though, right? as according to my mondopoint size (275) that is a U.S mens size 9.5 (which is a 8.5 mens UK size) and there is no way I wear a 8.5 in UK sneakers. I hope that makes sense lol

EDIT: Maybe I am a 8.5 UK mens and I’ve just been wearing the wrong size all this time

Thanks again!
Correct, Your snowboard boot size is never the same as your shoe size.

· Registered
30 Posts
Correct, Your snowboard boot size is never the same as your shoe size.

Perfect, thank you so much.

I’ve been searching online and I’ve actually found the Solomon Synapse Wide in my size on-sale which is even better. The Dialogue Wide seem to be ridiculously difficult to find in-stock in my size here in the UK though.

· Registered
30 Posts
So, I’ve got a bit of an update on the boot situation. My pair of Solomon Synapse Wide boots arrived yesterday and I’m having major issues with them in the fact that I can’t even get my feet into them which is quite ironic being as they’re meant to be a wide boot. I’ve loosened them up to the point where I can’t do anything else.

it seems as though the ankle/calf section of the boot must be ridiculously narrow or something for this to happen.

See image of how far I can get my foot into my boots.

Shoe Sports gear Sleeve Automotive tire Grey

Edit: I’ve worked out why it’s impossible for me to get my feet into these boots and it’s all to do with the construction of them. If you look at the 2nd picture that I’ve added, you’ll see near the toe area that the boots have this material that goes across the entire width of the boot. The problem with that material is that it barely has any give and for the most part is super rigid. It’s clearly part of the construction of the boot but it’s it’s downside as it doesn’t allow that area of the boot to open wide.

I have a pair of Burton Moto’s (that aren’t made for people with wide feet like myself) but I can get my feet into them with ease (as it doesn’t have that material that stretches across the toe area of the boots). Solomon have really messed up with how these boots are made as it’s impossible for me to get anywhere near having my feet into the bottom of the boot.
Outerwear Shoulder Neck Sleeve Waist

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,652 ·
Hi Gari,

Go ahead and remove the liner. With that out you an easily loosen up the liner strings all the way down. This should allow entry. If not please post up a quick video. You don't have a large ankle, so you are getting bound somewhere.

STOKED!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi Gari,

Go ahead and remove the liner. With that out you an easily loosen up the liner strings all the way down. This should allow entry. If not please post up a quick video. You don't have a large ankle, so you are getting bound somewhere.

STOKED!
Hey @Wiredsport,

Thanks for the reply. I removed the liner and loosened the strings all the way and I still can’t get my foot into the boot. I’m pretty sure it’s that weird material that goes across the toe area of the boot that is stopping me.

For some reason the forum wouldn't allow me to attach the video, so I've shared it below through Google Drive instead. Thanks!

Solomon Snowboard Boots

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,654 ·
Hi,

You are not going to enter a properly fit boot like that, especially when it is new. You are going to have to really pull and likely stand to get your foot to drop in. This is normal. You are just used to oversized boots.

STOKED

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

You are not going to enter a properly fit boot like that, especially when it is new. You are going to have to really pull and likely stand to get your foot to drop in. This is normal. You are just used to oversized boots.

STOKED
Hey, @Wiredsport,

Ive tried getting them on standing up and it’s the same as sitting down as there is no movement at all. I’ve tried pulling the strings, the tongues and pulling the boots to the side and I still can’t get my feet inside them for some reason. I’ll keep trying, but I’m not convinced I’ll be able to do it as I’ve had no progress as of yet.

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,656 ·
Hi Gary,

You are going to have to use the pull loops and a lot more force to get in. A lot of riders ask if they are going to tear those loops off when they are new to the process. You won't, but it does feel like you might to a rider who is new to the process. That will tell you how hard you will need to pull. Your video shows about 40% of the pull it will take to get in.

STOKED!

· Registered
30 Posts
Hi Gary,

You are going to have to use the pull loops and a lot more force to get in. A lot of riders ask if they are going to tear those loops off when they are new to the process. You won't, but it does feel like you might to a rider who is new to the process. That will tell you how hard you will need to pull. Your video shows about 40% of the pull it will take to get in.

STOKED!
So, after pulling and wiggling and pushing, I’ve finally managed to get my feet into them lol. It took a lot, but they feel good now that I’m in them.

My toes are touching the end of them when stood upright, but my toes aren’t curled at the end because the boots don’t fit right. I feel like I’ve just had a workout lol

Grey Knee Thigh Personal protective equipment Human leg

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,658 ·
Sweet! Please get them heat fit right away. Unfortunately, they will pack out 1 full size within two weeks of riding. They will get easier to enter, but the fit will relax a bit as well.

STOKED!

· Registered
30 Posts
Sweet! Please get them heat fit right away. Unfortunately, they will pack out 1 full size within two weeks of riding. They will get easier to enter, but the fit will relax a bit as well.

STOKED!
Don’t worry, I’ve already contacted my local snowboard store here in the UK about getting them heat fit and I’ll make sure I do it as soon as possible.

With regards to them getting one size bigger due to packing out, this won’t make them too big will it?

Also, do you have any recommendations for socks? As I have some thick Burton socks, but I remember you mentioning in one of your videos that they aren’t needed.

Thanks so much for all your help btw, as it’s very much appreciated.

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,660 ·
They will loosen and that does take away some of that crispy new boot feel, but we do not suggest going below Mondopoint. Burton's ultra thin compression socks are my suggested favorites.

2641 - 2660 of 2685 Posts