Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
2661 - 2680 of 2685 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
This is a great thread.

I've been riding a pair of 32 M's Double Boa size 10.5 for a number of years. I always have pain on the outside of my feet in the middle front to back. This year I would like to get a stiffer boot and it would be great if they didn't hurt my feet. I ordered a pair of TM-2 Double Boa Wide in 11 which seem to fit well outside the pressure they put on the top/front of my foot/ankle when flexing. Still in my return window though... I chose to go with an 11 this time since my second toe tends to curl in the 10.5 and I lost both nails on my big toes one year. (learned to trim them very short before riding after that experience)

So, I started researching, found your measurement advice and hope you can steer me to the correct boot.

My measurements:
Right - 28.2cm, 10.5cm
Left - 28cm, 10.3cm
I have Morton's toe and measured accordingly.
I'm pointing to where the pain is while wearing my old boots in the attached picture.

Thanks in advance.
Human body Gesture Barefoot Toe Foot

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,663 ·
Hi AL,

You are Mondopoint 285 or size 10.5 US in snowboard boots. Your one foot is 28 and size 10. Your larger foot is at the smaller size of the range for 10.5, so you will not want to go any larger than 10.5. You are also at the smaller end of the range for E width. The 32's (EEE width) will be both to long and too wide. I would strongly suggest the Salomon Synapse Wide or Dialogue Wide in Mondo 28.5. These are the only boots produced for E width.

STOKED!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello Wiredsport,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Left ft:
24.6cm long
9.3 cm wide

Right ft:
23.9cm long
9.8cm wide

Based on a Fleet Feet scan i have very high arches and instep girth so would need a high volume boot.
From browsing other suggestions I'd guess I land a mondo 246 or size 7 boot. width E borderline EE. So would you suggest the Salomon Dialogue wide (e) or burton ion/photon/ ect. wide (ee) or others?

Thanks,

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,665 ·
Hello Wiredsport,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Left ft:
24.6cm long
9.3 cm wide

Right ft:
23.9cm long
9.8cm wide

Based on a Fleet Feet scan i have very high arches and instep girth so would need a high volume boot.
From browsing other suggestions I'd guess I land a mondo 246 or size 7 boot. width E borderline EE. So would you suggest the Salomon Dialogue wide (e) or burton ion/photon/ ect. wide (ee) or others?

Thanks,
Hi,

246 mm is Mondopoint 270 or size 7 US in snowboard boots. You are an EE width. I would suggest the Burton Ruler Wide in Size 7. You have a small foot (not many options produced), your smaller foot is a full size smaller and you have a width discrepancy between you feet as well, so this is a tricky fit.

STOKED!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

246 mm is Mondopoint 270 or size 7 US in snowboard boots. You are an EE width. I would suggest the Burton Ruler Wide in Size 7. You have a small foot (not many options produced), your smaller foot is a full size smaller and you have a width discrepancy between you feet as well, so this is a tricky fit.

STOKED!
Hey Wired, did you mean: 246 mm is Mondopoint 246 or size 7 US ?

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,667 ·
Hey Wired, did you mean: 246 mm is Mondopoint 246 or size 7 US ?
Apologies, I meant to write:
246 mm is Mondopoint 250 or size 7 US in snowboard boots

· Registered
5 Posts
I measured myself up (photos below - did I do that right?). Based on that, I believe I'm a 270/US 9 and width D. I'm not sure if it's clear from the photos, but my left foot is a couple of millimeters longer than my right.

I've been using the Burton Photon in size 9 for several seasons. They fit great, except I'd get the dreaded black toenail after going hard for several consecutive days (but only on my left foot!). I've also tried the DC Judge, which initially felt like an even better fit, but on the mountain, I experienced a lot of heel lift. I've been looking at getting the Burton Ion. Size 9 feels similar to my existing Photons. Size 8.5, especially on my left foot, feels too small.

Wood Gesture Finger Foot Nail
Gesture Wood Barefoot Finger Toe
Skin Hand Facial expression Leg Azure

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey @Wiredsport ! Karol here.
Thank you for the video. I tried posting a comment there couple of times, but YouTube just didn't put it through... Luckily for me I went through the comments and found you here!

My measurements are as follows LENGTH / WIDTH.
RIGHT FOOT: 267 mm / 97 mm
LEFT FOOT: 268-9 mm / 97 mm

As it's 270 Mondo, it will be a US 9. My foot width category for a US 9 is D - standard (phew).

I'm looking at:
OR

Both available in promo in what, I think, is my perfect 27.0 cm size. Any guidance before buying is much appreciated.

EDIT:
I was able to find a shot of me in Burton Progression BOA boots I rented for my first ever lessons and those were US 9.5 / 275 mondo. They were very much ok. I didn't have any problems with them fitting-wise, but what do I know, I'm as green as they come :D!

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,672 ·
Hi Josh,

Thanks for those additional images. You are mid measurement range Mondopoint 270 or size 9 US in snowboard boots. You are a standard D width so you have a broad range of options available. STOKED!

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey Wired,

Thanks for confirming!

I live near a Burton store so I was able to try on some of their boots. I tried the Ion in size 8.5 and 9 and made two observations: 1) they both fit (the 8.5 did feel a lot tighter width-wise), and 2) different boots (even of the same model and size) have different fit - I had always assumed that mass production meant low tolerance for variation, but these were noticeably different! I suppose when it comes to boots, millimeters matter.

Given that the 8.5 also fits (though a lot tighter width-wise), would you recommend this over a size 9?

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,674 ·
Hey Wired,

Thanks for confirming!

I live near a Burton store so I was able to try on some of their boots. I tried the Ion in size 8.5 and 9 and made two observations: 1) they both fit (the 8.5 did feel a lot tighter width-wise), and 2) different boots (even of the same model and size) have different fit - I had always assumed that mass production meant low tolerance for variation, but these were noticeably different! I suppose when it comes to boots, millimeters matter.

Given that the 8.5 also fits (though a lot tighter width-wise), would you recommend this over a size 9?
Hi Josh,

I would suggest that you go with your Mondopoint size as above. Have the boots heat fit right away. Unmolded liners will tell you very little about fit.

STOKED!

· Registered
90 Posts
Short update for winter 22/23:

Measuring etc. did not work for me!

I still have not found a good enough solution yet, so now decided to re-heatmold and then cut holes for my bunions (left foot actually need hallux vallux operation) and go ride soon.

Will update when/if I get any results...

Footwear Shoe Product Outdoor shoe Walking shoe

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,676 ·
Short update for winter 22/23:

Measuring etc. did not work for me!

I still have not found a good enough solution yet, so now decided to re-heatmold and then cut holes for my bunions (left foot actually need hallux vallux operation) and go ride soon.
Hi Thrash,

104 cm is E width which always requires a specific Wide boot. Normal width boots would not be expected to work. I would strongly suggest either the Salomon Synapse Wide or Dialogue Wide in Mondo 280.

STOKED!

· Registered
90 Posts
Hi Thrash,

104 cm is E width which always requires a specific Wide boot. Normal width boots would not be expected to work. I would strongly suggest either the Salomon Synapse Wide or Dialogue Wide in Mondo 280.

STOKED!
Hi,

You have actually already tried to help me before, and I both respect your knowledge and thank you for your continuing efforts!

However, so far, measuring does not help; fact is I can not fit into Mondo 280/US10 snowboard boots... why I will continue to post here until I find a good solution, so others can understand they are not alone with problems.

As written waaay earlier in this thread, I have recently tried (besides all the other different boots since 1988) the Burton Photon Boa Wide (had to return because clearly did not fit as liners bulged) and then the Adidas Acerras (reported as similar width as to Salomon wide models), that became a costly affair - including an alpine pro-shop fitting custom insoles and heat molding the liners in their special oven. After five full days riding in those, my toes were still constantly bent/crushed even while strapped into the bindings (but then to a lesser degree) and walking downhill made me even want to skip go riding. The pressure from the internal J-bars left my anklebone areas blue and purple, some blood vessels on top of my feet swelled up in size and a day of (even shorter) riding left red spots in different places. Have photos on my old mobile phone somewhere, but I feel posting pictures here is a moot point by now... just trust me.

I have made sure to check all the possible pitfalls when measuring and regarding fitting (including not cranking down on bindings), and I was ready to suffer through pain to achieve a good 'performance fit', but the results of my research and experimenting have led me to now accept riding in Mondo 285/US10.5 size boots... and using some sort of internal Boa-system to make sure I shift around less inside the boots and keep my heels locked in. As I have found many interneal harnesses, especially steel-cable-Boa's, increase the risk of hot spots and cutting of circulation; my top choice this far are Ride Fuse boots with burrito-style-liners (that I heat molded with the 'microwaved-hot-rice-in-a-sock-method' and then cut out holes for my big toe hallux vallux areas) and with a fabric-Boa kind of up higher (more lower shins than over ancles). Still not a great fit, but the best I have managed so far.

Sorry for such a long winded answer, but as proper boot fit is such an important issue for both me and so many others, I feel it was somewhat justifed. Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

· Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,678 ·
Hi Thrash,

The Photon Wide from recent years is not suggested. It is not a wide last. That is a change. They also have very common discomfort issues. The Acerras are not uniformly wide across the size range and in some sizes they are actually narrower than D width. For E width feet we suggest the Salomon Dialogue Wide and Salomon Synapse Wide as those are the only two boots designed for E width. For riders with wider feet we have the Burton Ruler Wide and Ion Wide Which are EEE width and the 32 TM2 Wide which is also EEE width.

Width is equally important to length and if both are not correctly matched, a good fit would not be expected.

STOKED!

· Registered
90 Posts
Hi Thrash,

The Photon Wide from recent years is not suggested. It is not a wide last. That is a change. They also have very common discomfort issues. The Acerras are not uniformly wide across the size range and in some sizes they are actually narrower than D width. For E width feet we suggest the Salomon Dialogue Wide and Salomon Synapse Wide as those are the only two boots designed for E width. For riders with wider feet we have the Burton Ruler Wide and Ion Wide Which are EEE width and the 32 TM2 Wide which is also EEE width.

Width is equally important to length and if both are not correctly matched, a good fit would not be expected.

STOKED!
@Wiredsport Thank you! Will update if I get a Salomon Wide boot.

· Registered
634 Posts
I can only speak for me but the Acerra boot is my cinderella boot. It's perfect right out of the box without any issues, no pressure points or nothing. My correct MP size is wide enough for my EE last and i don't even heat mold or use insoles.
They are stiff enough for my bad ankles and the boost sole is great, especially with bad feet and joints as well as a heavy body. Stocked up on 5 pairs since Adidas is gone for boots.

I have some fucked up feet, op hallux valgus on both, bunions at the pinky toes, flat feet that are wide both at the toes and mid foot with skinny heels. Have even tattooed "Crazy feet".

Different boots will fit different. All isn't for everyone.

2661 - 2680 of 2685 Posts