Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Avid skier/snowboarder here, ten years, Upstate New York.

I was looking for some insight on a product I'm working on, and I felt a forum full of snowboarders would be ideal!

The inspiration for this idea came from the countless snowboarders I've run into in New England, who don't pay too much attention to their surroundings while riding. It seems like many snowboarders have a constant blind spot behind themselves, and this puts other people on the mountain at risk. Just last week, I saw two people, one goofy and one regular, run into each other because they were facing opposite directions and turning towards each other. It was not pretty. We want to help prevent this with our idea.

Basically, it's a lightweight sensor that you mount on your helmet or shoulder, which warns you through an LED display or an audible signal via headphones, of when someone is close to you. The sensor would only go off when someone is gets within twenty feet of you, and it's directed behind you, in your blind spot. The visual or audible response wouldn't be very distracting. For instance, the visual display would be a small LED display in your peripheral, or in the corner of your goggles.

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. If you guys think it's a horrible, stupid, merit-less idea, I still want to hear from you! We have a lot of work to do, and we want to gather feedback before we actually start designing it. We might scrap the whole idea if people unanimously agree that its crap.

Above all else, I want honest feedback, regardless of how critical it is.

Thanks a lot!

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
I always love when someone comes on this forum and proposes a new idea.

Invariably, the first reaction is to dump all over it, and then the lemmings arrive to follow the initial reaction by piling on.

Fuck, I'm glad Tom Sims and the other originators of snowboarding didn't listen to the same crap they must have heard when they were building the first boards.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would actually love a camera looking behind my head, although I am normally faster than everyone else so not a big issue for me.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,501 Posts
Too late! It's been done!
l_f6ab88e0-ac19-11e1-87f2-afa935f00002.jpg

….lemming #8 heard from! :laugh: ;)

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Or people could just learn to look over their shoulder especially in crowded areas.

But yes please invent this, spend thousands of hours, drop all your money in it, then email me to promote it so I can write an article mocking you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm always checking my blind spots. If a person is within 20 feet and on a collision course with me I don't know that I could avoid him in that moment even if the rest of the hill is open. Maybe its a midwest thing, but it seems that on the more advanced runs people are more aware, and on the beginner runs on a busy day not so much.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The previous poster is correct about not being able to avoid someone 20 ft away from you. If you take into account you recognizing the threat, figuring out where they really are by looking, and reacting to it, it's way past too late. That doesn't even take into account the threat coming your way could constantly be changing what they are doing. Monitoring the thing would also take your attention away from actually using your vision and hearing to monitor your surroundings. It's a valiant idea/effort, but I can't see it working. I'd love to see you prove us wrong though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
First off, you're singling out boarders as being the ones at fault. I've come across just as many skiers that are oblivious to anything around them. Second, it's the person above that is supposed to make sure they are clear of the person below. So maybe you need to rethink the direction of the sensor.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Really...? A sensor to warn you others are behind you...???

Why is it YOUR problem if someone is behind you... It is there problem if they hit you...!!! And with the suing culture in the USA a sensor that warns you of an impending collision that makes you do something you otherwise wouldn;t could cause just as serious an accident to yourself or others and then YOU would be liable for that accident...

NO THANK YOU...!!!

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Just a sensor? That's lame. I mean they can make selfdriving cars these days. Use multiple sensors or a full CCD and do motion/collision detecion/analysis to figure out if there is actually a chance you're going to hit something (not just people! also obstacles!).

·
The Swiss Miss
7,596 Posts
I would actually love a camera looking behind my head, although I am normally faster than everyone else so not a big issue for me.
How about just turning the head? :dunno:

I check behind every time I change the pattern of riding e.g. when doing quick wide carves... how's the one behind me supposed to know that after this next carve I intend to go straight to the side of the run to take a rest or that I actually want to take the right slope but just strike out left cos I want to do a nice wide carve to the right? I'd never do that if soneone's close behind.

It's not only the one behind who's responsible that we all can have fun n be save on the slopes IMO. The one behind can only identify your pattern and assume that you'll continue in a certain direction. A quick glace back and you identify the odd skier who will be faster and I won't cut off his line by any of mine.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The inspiration for this idea came from the countless snowboarders I've run into in New England, who don't pay too much attention to their surroundings while riding. It seems like many snowboarders have a constant blind spot behind themselves, and this puts other people on the mountain at risk..

You fucking dip shit. Skiers are the fucking problem, not snowboarders. In my 12 years of riding I've seen way more stupid skier caused accidents than snowboarder caused. You idoits think you own the mountain and dart all over the runs without ever looking or considering others. Yes, beginner snowboarders are dangerous because they're learning how to stop and both skier and snowboarders have the oblivious types that just don't pay attention. Plus the person uphill has the responsibility of avoiding people downhill of them and if you're in close quarters with someone a beep or flashing light will only distract them even more. People need to know their surroundings by looking and be curtious of others, how about you tell your skier buddies that shit! :finger1:

I got an idea. Why don't you put that sensor in your ass so you know when you have to shit! beep beep

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
In my 12 years of riding I've seen way more stupid skier caused accidents than snowboarder caused.
yes but you seeing that doesn't make that somehow relevant to the entire population - maybe you just pay way too much attention on skiers, or maybe the skiers outnumber the boarders so that even if the boarders cause more accidents you'd still be seeing more skier caused accident :dry:

the person uphill has the responsibility of avoiding people downhill
see neni's post for that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts