Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching it on TV the other day and I had never seen it before. After a small amount of research, I see that there is two snowboard cross events at White Pass in washington on February 11th (and possibly 12th?). I'd like to visit white pass and see it in person. Can someone possibly explain to me how snowboard cross works? Is there like age classes and within each age class skill level such as Ages 15-18 A,B,C? It looks like it'd be a fun thing to try, and if I can do a motocross race in which I finish dead last on both heats and fall down 3 times on the first one, I can't be much worse at this.

On another note, does anyone want to meet up at White pass for snowboard cross? Never been to White pass.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Love boarder cross. My fav racing to watch is downhill (yes I know it's skiing) and BX.

Boarder cross is basically Chinese downhill on a coarse.

If you're lucky enough to have a beginners BX course at your local hill, give it a try.

There's a course at Whistler. It's not necessarily Olympic size gnarly but it's deff not for begginers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love boarder cross. My fav racing to watch is downhill (yes I know it's skiing) and BX.

Boarder cross is basically Chinese downhill on a coarse.

If you're lucky enough to have a beginners BX course at your local hill, give it a try.

There's a course at Whistler. It's not necessarily Olympic size gnarly but it's deff not for begginers.
I'm going to Whistler this weekend. Might have to look that up. White pass is about 3 hours from me, I assumed board cross courses were built for the event and taken down, not setup for the season like a park?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whistler has theirs up pretty much the entire season. It's on blackcomb, just skiers right of the choker terrain park. You can look at it while riding up solar coaster chair.

I haven't ridden or checked it out at all this year, so not sure what the current configuration looks like.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I rode a boarder cross course a few times when Mount Snow had the X-Games, and it was an absolute blast. Always wanted to do it again but never did. Definitely try it if you can!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rode a boarder cross course a few times when Mount Snow had the X-Games, and it was an absolute blast. Always wanted to do it again but never did. Definitely try it if you can!
Is there classes, how's the event work?1

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Is there classes, how's the event work?1

You watched the races right? Not really much to go deeper into. Your race, fastest one wins.

Definitely age groups if you do it with an organozed event.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You watched the races right? Not really much to go deeper into. Your race, fastest one wins.

Definitely age groups if you do it with an organozed event.
I watched the last 3 final races. I guess I was just curious if there was something more to it that wasn't obvious by just watching it.

And good to know about age groups, i just turned 18 though so I think that puts me in with the older guys now

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Usually heat races with 4 riders per race... time traials, they line you up with groups then you do something like... Quarter finals, semi finals, finals.

Top two in each quarter move to semi and then top 2 in semis move to finals.

The line ups get big if theres alot of racers but thats how it works usually.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually heat races with 4 riders per race... time traials, they line you up with groups then you do something like... Quarter finals, semi finals, finals.

Top two in each quarter move to semi and then top 2 in semis move to finals.

The line ups get big if theres alot of racers but thats how it works usually.
Sounds simple enough to dive in and just try it out. I'm not trying to win anything, although it'd be nice to stop getting last in these races.

To save making another thread, is anybody planning on doing Steven passes 24 hour run?

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
No but we will be there for a freeride tour event in a couple weeks. Staying in the rv lot.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
unofficially just find 3 other folks, pick a chair or course and ....1, 2, 3 go. In some respects its becomes a train and ur just mobbing around with others. Last week we were doing this gully section called "death star"...the first half, 2 maybe 3 folks could hit it at the same time to jockey around but by 1/2 to last 3rd it becomes a tight single file. So pulling a train you want to be the engine and not fall....or be the caboose and pray that no body has fallen. Folks also can pretty much do this in the LBS/natural gully.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
unofficially just find 3 other folks, pick a chair or course and ....1, 2, 3 go. In some respects its becomes a train and ur just mobbing around with others. Last week we were doing this gully section called "death star"...the first half, 2 maybe 3 folks could hit it at the same time to jockey around but by 1/2 to last 3rd it becomes a tight single file. So pulling a train you want to be the engine and not fall....or be the caboose and pray that no body has fallen. Folks also can pretty much do this in the LBS/natural gully.
He said "pulling a train".. :laughat2::popcorn:

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I assumed board cross courses were built for the event and taken down, not setup for the season like a park?
My hill leaves it up all year, although it's a tame course (one jump only). Fun to play on, sketchy when it's icey!

I plan on doing a banked slalom race this year at Sunshine. Basically time trial running of a BX course. I've got the boards for it, just need to practice practice practice!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My hill leaves it up all year, although it's a tame course (one jump only). Fun to play on, sketchy when it's icey!

I plan on doing a banked slalom race this year at Sunshine. Basically time trial running of a BX course. I've got the boards for it, just need to practice practice practice!
Icey is always sketchy. I was gonna go up to snoqualmie tonight but decided it wasn't worth the drive and doing it alone.

Alpental had a banked slalom like "race" where they saw who could go the fastest. Not sure if they were talking about time or literal speed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its usually timed. at LBS you can run the course after the race...though its not a bx course.
dumb question incoming.

What's LBS.

Concerning my last post, I believe it was timed as far as competition goes but they also recorded or at least clocked people's speed on the course just for sh*ts and giggles and probably bragging rights

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts