Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several snowboards and I'm curious about flex ratings from various manufactures.

I have a NS '13 Cobra, '12 Proto and '11 SL. If memory serves, all were rated as flex rating of 5. They do not feel like they have the same flex. The proto is way softer. I have a '12 Billy Goat that is rated as a 7 and it feels softer than my Cobra. I can butter the Goat easily...the Cobra is more difficult to butter.

Can anyone explain to me how they measure the flex rating?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Camber profile, rider height/weight, and board size all play into how flexible a specific board will feel like, regardless of flex rating. I never pay attention to those anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Flex rating is an approximate number within a manufacturer. For example, the 2013 Proto will be a little bit softer than a 2013 SL due to construction and waist width. But have the same rating.

In addition, you can't compare manufacturer flex rating to one another.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...I just assumed that they had an industry standard. Something along these lines:

1) Place the board horizontal clamped on a table with the center of the board at the edge.

2) Place a specific weight on a hanger at the end of the board

3) Measure distance moved

4) Record number and read chart to determine flex rating.

Overly simplified I know, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to have an industry standard.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That is how they do it to measure deflection for arrow spine ratings but it would be very difficult for boards. You'd need to do it for every length as changing that would change the flex as well as any variation in width which would also affect it. With arrows most come in a standard 32" uncut length to begin with so it is much easier to do across each model. Then add to that that some boards are stiffer in just the tail, some nose and tail, some just between the bindings and that doesn't even take into account torsional flex.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
I have several snowboards and I'm curious about flex ratings from various manufactures.

I have a NS '13 Cobra, '12 Proto and '11 SL. If memory serves, all were rated as flex rating of 5. They do not feel like they have the same flex. The proto is way softer. I have a '12 Billy Goat that is rated as a 7 and it feels softer than my Cobra. I can butter the Goat easily...the Cobra is more difficult to butter.

Can anyone explain to me how they measure the flex rating?
Your BG might be broken if it is softer and more butter-able than the Cobra. I had both those boards and the Cobra is way softer - and I butter it all over the place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts