Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am trying to find some snowboard for me for a long time. I am 19 years old ,195 cm tall, 95kg and with US15 Snowboardboots.

The only board, which I have found that could possible fit me is the Lib tech Skunk Ape 170W which costs around 600€ in Europe.

Is out there any board which would be good for my boots and if possible which doesn't cost that much... ( And I live in Europe so it's bit harder to get all the boards from USA)

Thanks a lot guys 👌

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is it the Skunk Ape 170 ultra wide?
Very few boards are that wide and also depends which type of board you are looking for.
The Korua Cafe Racer 164 really wide but more a carving/pow board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is the table for the skunk ape the 170W is wider than 172W, what is kinda wierd...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure if that would be wide enough and how that compares to the Skunk Ape, but you could have a look at the 157 Party Platter (279 waist wide) or maybe the Ride Superpig XL (277 waist width).
The Superpig would probably be a better all-mountain ride for you but wont save much money compare to the the Skunk Ape. The Party Platter is a fair bit cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
I am 19 years old ,195 cm tall, 95kg and with US15 Snowboardboots.
Hi Spanky,
Boot size should never be used for determining snowboard width. Only barefoot measurement should be used. Size 15 is a highly unusual snowboard boot size, particularly at 6'4". That may be correct but we should check this before we move forward.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Spanky,
Boot size should never be used for determining snowboard width. Only barefoot measurement should be used. Size 15 is a highly unusual snowboard boot size, particularly at 6'4". That may be correct but we should check this before we move forward.

Please measure your feet using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters). For width please place the inside (medial side) of your foot against a wall. Please then measure from the wall out to the widest point on the lateral (outside) of your foot
I have done it and its 31 x 12 cm. So does it now mean that I have to find some board which is 31 cm wide? or how did you mean it.

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if that would be wide enough and how that compares to the Skunk Ape, but you could have a look at the 157 Party Platter (279 waist wide) or maybe the Ride Superpig XL (277 waist width).
The Superpig would probably be a better all-mountain ride for you but wont save much money compare to the the Skunk Ape. The Party Platter is a fair bit cheaper.
the problem is that I still dont know if the 277 would be enough. I have tried the Skunk ape 170W with the width of 285 and the guys told me in the shop that it should be kinda good for riding but I have to be still aware of riding on the in-edge (or how do you call it ) and I should look for something bigger.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the problem is that I still dont know if the 277 would be enough. I have tried the Skunk ape 170W with the width of 285 and the guys told me in the shop that it should be kinda good for riding but I have to be still aware of riding on the in-edge (or how do you call it ) and I should look for something bigger.
Yes, understood.
My suggestion of volume shifted board is that I think their width at the insert might compare favorably to regular boards for the same waist width. But I might be wrong.
You should definitely check your boot size first as @Wiredsport suggested. I am not sure but i do not think that 31cm translate to a 15 (maybe 13?) in snowboard boots. If could downsize one size or more that would be a big win.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
I have done it and its 31 x 12 cm. So does it now mean that I have to find some board which is 31 cm wide? or how did you mean it.
Hi Spanky,

No sir, that is not what it means. 31 cm is Mondopoint 310 or size 13 in snowboard boots. 12 cm is an EE width which does require a specific Wide boot. I would strongly suggest that you correct this issue first as it will do the most for your riding and it will determine your board choice. The Burton Ruler Wide and Burton Photon Wide boots are both designed for EEE width and are a great choice for riders with EE feet such as yourself. This is actually great news because there are many Wide board options that are good choices for size 13 but size 15 creates a lot of problems :).

STOKED!

·
Registered
42 Posts
31 cm mondo is size 13 US. Same size I wear. At 12 cm width I think you need EE boots. I'll let wired confirm that. I'm 201 cm and I have two boards which are 167 and 28.4 cm waist width and a 164 by 26.8 waist. Both are ok but 28.4 waist seems to me a little too much. 27.4 should be ok as long as the height is not too much for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hmmm. thats wierd. 🙃🙃I have tried the US14 (which is UK13) Ride boots and they were to tight. I let the guy in the shop to tighten the boots so my foot will move a bit to the back and they felt too small. I had to "bend" my fingers... When I have tried bigger ones US15 I was on the end of the boot and the guy checked it and he said that these are better than the us14. Also I have tried the burtons and they were cut to small.(everything was tied with bigger socks) All the shoes I wear for normal day are US14 (UK13 , Nike: 48.5 , Adidas 49 1/3).

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Due to your wide foot, all standard width boots in size 13 will be to short as well. This is due to the arc of the toe box. The Wide models that I have suggested will correct this. If you would like to post up pictures of your barefoot measurements being taken I will be happy to confirm.

STOKED!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also when I was talking with all the guys, who sells the snowboards, they told me that normally you need a bit bigger boots than your normal shoes.

With the picture give me a sec i need to find some paper where i can measure it and than post it here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Due to your wide foot, all standard width boots in size 13 will be to short as well. This is due to the arc of the toe box. The Wide models that I have suggested will correct this. If you would like to post up pictures of your barefoot measurements being taken I will be happy to confirm.

STOKED!
Its kinda wierd to post such a pictures but its here :D

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
also when I was talking with all the guys, who sells the snowboards, they told me that normally you need a bit bigger boots than your normal shoes.

With the picture give me a sec i need to find some paper where i can measure it and than post it here.
Hi Spanky,
The opposite is correct. Snowboard boots are always smaller than US shoe size. A US size 15 shoe size equates to a size 13 snowboard boot. You always want to go by your Mondopoint size however as Mondopoint is not a conversion. Your measurement in mm is your Mondopoint size. Please have a look at the conversions here and be sure to view the different tabs : http://snowboardbootsizer.com/

1 - 20 of 38 Posts