Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Won't spend too long on my sob story... but I've been away from snow sports (and all sports) for nearly 3 years now. About 3 years ago I developed knee pain/swelling whilst jogging (in the off season). After months and months of pain and misdiagnosis it turned out I have something called "hoffas disease" - basically the fat pad behind the tendon swelled out and scarred up. Had knee surgery on both sides about 3 months ago. (The joint/tendons are all good :) )

I'm only 29 and had otherwise planned to ride into old age... was a very confident rider and spend winters in the french alps and japan. My surgeon couldn't see a reason why i shouldn't be able to ride again however my physiotherapist is more doubtful. I'm making very slow progress but my physio routine is structured around walking/mobility mainly. I'm based in the UK so the physios don't have a clue about snowboarding exercises.

Does anyone have a really good knee strengthening regime I could follow?

I will have to start slow but need some hope and a structured routine. The ultimate dream is to get back to Japan January 2022! Everyone seems to think this is not likely but i'd love to prove them wrong... If not then I guess 2023 will be my triumphant return. I accept that I may never ride as well as I used to... and freestyle may be out of the question. But dreaming of mellow Japow runs is enough to keep me going all this time.

Thanks in advance for any help and hope you're all riding every time you get a chance!

TLDR: 29, double knee surgery, help with exercises to get me riding again

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
Not a doc, knee or any medical professional nor do I know of your condition...but me thinks lots of bicycling...because its low impact, gets the muscles around the joint strengthened, keeps the knee from stiffening and also keeps the juices/fluids flowing to the area/joint to promote healing. I have a few ski friends (in their 60's) that have had total (and both) knee replacements and they have ALL said BIKING is one of the best rehabs to do religiously...and they were back to skiing the next season. Though not necessarily at 100% but certainly at 85% or better...and in general no one suspects they have had their knees replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
100% agree with the above. One thing though when bicycling keep your cadence up high. If on the road around 90 rpm or on a trail at least above 75-80 should be enough. Just don't grind it out. I would add lots of stretching (especially hams and calfs-go careful stretching the quads) and do some isometrics for the quads. I'm not sure what they did to your knees, but I originally started snowboarding because one of my knees hurt while skiing so....... I'll qualify that I really am not qualified to dispense this kind of advice. It is what I would do-shoot, I'm already doing it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had knee surgeries for torn meniscus and cycling was the route to recovery. Also the key to injury prevention is strength, also flexibility. Just get your legs as strong as you can without stressing the problem area. If you are snowboarding well, i.e. dynamically, you are basically doing squats all day. Just do loads of them, with a bit of weight if you can. Lunges, calf raises etc. Also keep your hips flexible. If they get stiff a lot of stress gets moved to the knees.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From my experience (tibia broken + ACL torn and some related damage to patella), it took me a lot of time to be able to ride again without some noticeable limitations. Actually, still has some issues, but for example the first season after the last surgery I though I'd never ollie again - years later I can jump no problem.

One thing I was doing in the rehab was using EMS to stimulate vastus medialis obliquus muscle. There is this UK based physiotherapist, Vivian Grisogono, who has a few videos on YT on the topic, calling this muscle "the key to the knee".

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mmh I am not sure I would trust a DIY approach on knee rehab. UK is a big country, I think you should be able to find someone able to follow your recovery. Is there any option online that you can dig more? I mean a real person to talk to, not YouTube video. You have only 2 knees...

Saying that, I also think that cycling is a good choice, you don't risk to do anything harmful to your knees by accident.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi all. Won't spend too long on my sob story... but I've been away from snow sports (and all sports) for nearly 3 years now. About 3 years ago I developed knee pain/swelling whilst jogging (in the off season). After months and months of pain and misdiagnosis it turned out I have something called "hoffas disease" - basically the fat pad behind the tendon swelled out and scarred up. Had knee surgery on both sides about 3 months ago. (The joint/tendons are all good :) )

I'm only 29 and had otherwise planned to ride into old age... was a very confident rider and spend winters in the french alps and japan. My surgeon couldn't see a reason why i shouldn't be able to ride again however my physiotherapist is more doubtful. I'm making very slow progress but my physio routine is structured around walking/mobility mainly. I'm based in the UK so the physios don't have a clue about snowboarding exercises.

Does anyone have a really good knee strengthening regime I could follow?

I will have to start slow but need some hope and a structured routine. The ultimate dream is to get back to Japan January 2022! Everyone seems to think this is not likely but i'd love to prove them wrong... If not then I guess 2023 will be my triumphant return. I accept that I may never ride as well as I used to... and freestyle may be out of the question. But dreaming of mellow Japow runs is enough to keep me going all this time.

Thanks in advance for any help and hope you're all riding every time you get a chance!

TLDR: 29, double knee surgery, help with exercises to get me riding again
I feel you. Im 20 and was close to getting surgery done to my left knee when I was only 18.
Im not paid to say this but: PLEASE look into the programs from KneesOverToesGuy (Ben Patrick). It legit saved me. Also, like others have said, cycling is one of the best thing, start slow though. If you ever go to a gym, on a seated leg raise machine, do a basic set like 3x15, but you hold it at the top for 4 seconds for the 5 reps in the middle (from rep 5 to 10). I used to have weak knees and I can now squat 5x305 which is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel you. Im 20 and was close to getting surgery done to my left knee when I was only 18.
Im not paid to say this but: PLEASE look into the programs from KneesOverToesGuy (Ben Patrick). It legit saved me. Also, like others have said, cycling is one of the best thing, start slow though. If you ever go to a gym, on a seated leg raise machine, do a basic set like 3x15, but you hold it at the top for 4 seconds for the 5 reps in the middle (from rep 5 to 10). I used to have weak knees and I can now squat 5x305 which is more than enough for me.
Thanks! Will take a look - at first glance i gotta say just looking at what he's doing with his knees is making mine hurt haha. What did you have with your knees at that age? Sounds like you dodged a bullet!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From my experience (tibia broken + ACL torn and some related damage to patella), it took me a lot of time to be able to ride again without some noticeable limitations. Actually, still has some issues, but for example the first season after the last surgery I though I'd never ollie again - years later I can jump no problem.

One thing I was doing in the rehab was using EMS to stimulate vastus medialis obliquus muscle. There is this UK based physiotherapist, Vivian Grisogono, who has a few videos on YT on the topic, calling this muscle "the key to the knee".
Awesome, thanks so much. Did you buy your own EMS and just stimulate the muscle several times a day?
My VMO is extremely wasted and something any physio/surgeon I have seen has told me. I struggle to even activate it at times.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
100% agree with the above. One thing though when bicycling keep your cadence up high. If on the road around 90 rpm or on a trail at least above 75-80 should be enough. Just don't grind it out. I would add lots of stretching (especially hams and calfs-go careful stretching the quads) and do some isometrics for the quads. I'm not sure what they did to your knees, but I originally started snowboarding because one of my knees hurt while skiing so....... I'll qualify that I really am not qualified to dispense this kind of advice. It is what I would do-shoot, I'm already doing it.
Great thanks! They basically chopped out a chunk of the "fat pad" pad and removed the scar tissue around it. They look much less swollen but are still super weak. Just out of interest, Why the high cadence?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great thanks! They basically chopped out a chunk of the "fat pad" pad and removed the scar tissue around it. They look much less swollen but are still super weak. Just out of interest, Why the high cadence?
You want at least 80-90+ rpm cadence so you put less stress on your knee joints and muscles. if you are climbing a hill on your MTB or road/gravel bike, you want to be spinning a gear sitting down. if you are having to push and struggle to mash the pedals either sitting or standing, then you are in way too high a gear.
It will take some getting used to spinning at a high cadence to begin with, but once you are used to it, it will become second nature. Think of it as being in the correct gear when driving, it's just more efficient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks! Will take a look - at first glance i gotta say just looking at what he's doing with his knees is making mine hurt haha. What did you have with your knees at that age? Sounds like you dodged a bullet!
What he shows is what he is able to do now but there’s a starter program and its really easy ! I can send you some exercise from the starter program if you want. I had an isolated ACL tear.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What he shows is what he is able to do now but there’s a starter program and its really easy ! I can send you some exercise from the starter program if you want. I had an isolated ACL tear.
Yeah go for it. That would be great. Thankyou

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awesome, thanks so much. Did you buy your own EMS and just stimulate the muscle several times a day?
Yes, I bought mine and set it up according one of those Grisogono's videos. I was using it once a day, but at that time I already had the muscle in a pretty ok shape. It can have a bigger effect if your case, but maybe advise with your physio yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts