Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to customize my board but I'm a bit skeptical on sanding the top. Is there any other way I can make the paint stick?

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are so many ways this could go wrong.. You could try shellac where you are going to paint. It sticks to pretty much anything, is a great base for paint (many "sealers" are mostly shellac), and if it goes bad can be wiped off the denatured alchohol. I would experiment with a VERY small area first. Downside is shellac isn't that great with water so the paint would have to seal it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did this with mine a few years ago and had no trouble. Just cleaned the top real well, used cotton ear swabs to plus the bindings holes, and sprayed multiple coats. People can't tell that I painted it myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if anything goes bad I can just remove the shellac with alcohol and it wouldn't damage the board's original sealant?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not going to paint any shape on it, the board has some yellow lines and I want to change them into red so it matches with my apparel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My GNU Kyper Kyarve had this blue topsheet that I hated. I just painted the entire top a matte black.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hating yellow - That's waysis!!!

(I can say jokes like that because I'm part Asian as well as being trans-racial)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Why though I hate yellow?
Because it's going to be a PITA to just do the lines. The whole top sheet would be easier IMHO. Maybe red pin strip (stickers) if the yellow lines are that much of an issue.

I've sticker bombed several top sheets, which is easier than painting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Because it's going to be a PITA to just do the lines. The whole top sheet would be easier IMHO. Maybe red pin strip (stickers) if the yellow lines are that much of an issue.

I've sticker bombed several top sheets, which is easier than painting.
But won't the stickers peel off due to being in contact with snow that will melt into water?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Pleeeeeease stop stickerbombing topsheets! Unless it’s a first board from some cheap ass supermarket/outlet store it deserves better.
My Burton Supermodel is plain black and boring without stickers. My Custom has paint chipping and peeling off and wasn't much to look at in the first place. Lots of ugly boards out there that could use a good sticker bombing - almost everything from Gnu/Lib Tech and Burton falls into the "could use a sticker bombing" category. OTOH, I wouldn't sticker bomb an Arbor or Never Summer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not going to paint any shape on it, the board has some yellow lines and I want to change them into red so it matches with my apparel.
You might want to check out auto pinstripe tape if you are just doing lines. Made to be outside for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts