Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 Audi A4 which has no roof racks. Does anyone have any suggestions about possible roof rack solutions for 2 snowboards? Trying to keep costs as low as possible.

Just wondering what everyone else does in my situation?

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Both Thule and Yakima make racks that will work with your Audi. They don't give that shit away, but it works. Otherwise readimag's advice is about as good as it's going to get for you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Check out Inno racks. I had these on my Infiniti G35. I am sure they make one for the A4. Much cheaper than Thule and Yakima but good quality.

Still have mine sitting around in the garage. If you are in the NYC area, I am looking to sell it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think you're looking at around minimum $400 for the entire setup. And that's just for your basic rack. More $ for aerodynamics, bigger racks, coffins, etc.

I'm looking into this now for my Impreza. Shit's expensive, but think of it this way - you'll never have to buy a rack again.

I'd look around craigslist too, I bet you could find a used rack for less, just gotta make sure its compatible with your car.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you end up laying the seat down you will wanna put some plastic down or set them in a board bag for your ride back. Usually after a long day of riding snow will pack all around your bindings and areas that you can't wipe off and will melt in your car. Just a little heads up. You might already know that tho.

That was the main reason I invested in roof racks. No wiping, just slap in and click. End of story.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the rack but would honestly fold seats down if I could. My 2001 subaru impreza doesn't have folding rear seats. The roof rack exposes the boards to the elements and makes a significant amount of wind noise. Of course you can get the carrier but that is mucho mula. I'm paranoid a rock will take a chunk out of my board out on my exposed roof rack though.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Get the dealer OEM one for your car it is built way better than Thule or Yakima and believe it or not it's cheaper than both those systems
Getting OEM for my kids GTI. Basically poormans Audi A4

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
GTI is on same chassis and motor
Wasnt Jetta off the A4 not the Passat

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I bought the rack but would honestly fold seats down if I could. My 2001 subaru impreza doesn't have folding rear seats. The roof rack exposes the boards to the elements and makes a significant amount of wind noise. Of course you can get the carrier but that is mucho mula. I'm paranoid a rock will take a chunk out of my board out on my exposed roof rack though.
I have been doing open racks for 10 years on my little Volvo v40 (abt the same size as A4)...the old bigger ones (free) will fit 4 boards and 2 sets of skies...bring the quiver..absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
898 Posts
GTI is on same chassis and motor
Wasnt Jetta off the A4 not the Passat
In the VW terms, A4 = MK4 chassis, which is a PQ34 chassis.

which..
P = passenger
Q = transverse
3 = platform size
4 = generation

The Audi A4 is a PL4# chassis, where
L = longitudinal
4= platform size
so, the 02 Audi A4 would be a PL46
but, the 1998-2005 Passat was a PL45

·
Registered
451 Posts
Search which feet fit your car and buy those on eBay. Then purchase the appropriate bars and attachments. If you are patient and piece together a kit you can do it under $250

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We bought our Thule set-up from Rackattack.com. Wicked pissa cheap (they're based near Boston)...four boards or two boards and four sets of skis...for just $99. Included everything, including the clamps. Of course, we already had the crossbars on the SUV, so you'll pay some more for those, but still their prices can't be beat.

As for folding down the seats...do it if you can. We stopped putting the boards on the roof because the loaded racks caused so much drag that we'd literally lose like 4 mpg on the average trip to Vermont. When you're traveling a 3-400 miles, that adds up. Even if we bring a passenger (or two) in the back seat, the 60/40 split seats fold down to accommodate all our gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, not a whole lot of people selling them on craigslist here in Ohio :(

Maybe I will just take peoples suggestion of just throwing them in the trunk/backseat...

·
Registered
451 Posts
try the trunk thing for a while. i got a super cheap dakine board bag at the end of the season that keeps all the water IN when i'm going home. it's not padded or fancy or anything, and my boards don't melt onto the seats after a day's riding. then i just shake out any water when i get home.

aside from now living where i can take the shuttle to the mountain, when using my car - the bag kicks ass, and i've pretty much stopped wanting a roof rack. i think they are kind of a pain in the ass. but when i was researching them, i found all the individual components, new, on ebay for less than half the cost of a kit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts