Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm planning to rent a car for the coming winter and will like to buy one of those soft roof racks. Anyone has experience with them?

Want to know more about its sturdiness and if it is easy to insert boards into. I drive around 50mph for 20mins from my accommodation to the hills

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Never tried with snowboards but with surfboards they rub off the clearcoat on the roof of the car pretty bad

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah I used to run an Ocean & Earth rack on my little Polo.

DEFINITELY you're going to want to protect the roof of the car - i just used to apply duct tape (3x strips for front rack, 3x strips for back, so that you've got good coverage).

Also, I didn't like the straps that came with the racks, so I swapped them out for some ratcheting tie-down straps, with the ratchets up against the ceiling inside the car (so, you position everything nicely, then tighten the ratchets down from inside).

With the protection of the tape + the rock-solidness of the ratchet tie downs, I never had any problems - could go around corners at speed, drive at highway speeds, and the boards (whilst catching a lot of wind and being a bit noisy as a result) never once shifted around on me.

Hope this helps!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts