Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I've been riding a terrible sims board for the past 2 seasons and I'm now ready to ditch that stick and upgrade big time. I'm an expert snowboarder who does 10 metre cliff drops and can ride anything. Not much of a park rider; don't need a board for rails or boxes. I just go to the park to do the XL jumps every once in a while. I'm 5'9 and weigh 130 pounds. I have some boards in mind, but I won't list them because I want to see what you guys will suggest. My budget is 800. I need something that'll last. Directional or not, it doesn't matter. I need something in between freeride and freestyle. Kind of all mountain, but something that is perfect in all areas except rails and boxes; not mediocre in everything.
Thanks for you help

·
Registered
185 Posts
Alright I've been riding a terrible sims board for the past 2 seasons and I'm now ready to ditch that stick and upgrade big time. I'm an expert snowboarder who does 10 metre cliff drops and can ride anything. Not much of a park rider; don't need a board for rails or boxes. I just go to the park to do the XL jumps every once in a while. I'm 5'9 and weigh 130 pounds. I have some boards in mind, but I won't list them because I want to see what you guys will suggest. My budget is 800. I need something that'll last. Directional or not, it doesn't matter. I need something in between freeride and freestyle. Kind of all mountain, but something that is perfect in all areas except rails and boxes; not mediocre in everything.
Thanks for you help
Expert snowboarders generally have more of a clue about boards.

You also put Burton and Never Summer in your tags, so what's the point in asking for recommendations if you've pretty much decided between two brands?

An "expert" snowboarder would also know that a board isn't "perfect in all areas except one." Might also mention the conditions that you most frequently ride in. 800 what? Pesos? Boards don't tend to last when you frequently throw them over "10 metre cliff drops."

:dunno:

Also, are you intending on going bindingless? If so, I recommend some of this and a hefty dose of luck:

·
Registered
76 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Damn Edge I heard about this stuff. That's Scapa's new carbon injected, never slip binding tape. It's 110% bomb proof, freeze proof and gives you +50 shred cred. It's also edible in the event you get lost while split boarding in the uncharted. I'd totally rock that ish!:cheeky4:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Damn Edge I heard about this stuff. That's Scapa's new carbon injected, never slip binding tape. It's 110% bomb proof, freeze proof and gives you +50 shred cred. It's also edible in the event you get lost while split boarding in the uncharted. I'd totally rock that ish!:cheeky4:
I'm trying to get sponsored by em man. Imagining rocking this stuff in slopestyle. You'd win without doing jack shit. Pure steez.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if I came off to be cocky. I'm new to this site. Here is what I've looked at so far: I've been looking at the Burton Custom x, Ride Highlife, Never summer heritage, K2 happy hour, and some other Burton's and Nitro's. I'm on this forum because I'm kind of shy and if I go to a shop and they recommend me something, I would be to shy to say no. That's why I ended up with a terrible sims board. Now, out of this list, anything look suitable for me? And if you have any other suggestions please don't hesitate to tell me.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Where do you ride? And again, do you like to ride switch? Do you just hit jumps and cliffs straight air or are you throwing spins off them?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you ride? And again, do you like to ride switch? Do you just hit jumps and cliffs straight air or are you throwing spins off them?
I ride in Whistler and my local mountains (Grouse, Cypress) I don't ride switch often so directional isn't necessary. I do spins, grabs and the occasional grab, so I'm guessing the board should be light. Thanks for your help.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
If you're already in whistler why not have Prior build you a board? If you're a big mountain rider they've got some pretty good options...

Otherwise you can get in on my Virus snowboard group buy. I'm putting the order in ASAP! The cheapest option is the Avalanche which is a freeride board with quadraxial FG, carbon fibre, and will be built to the specs the owner wants. It'll be about $680 plus shipping and taxes.

I'm going for the Avalanche FLP AFT but it's going to be about $990 plus shipping and taxes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're already in whistler why not have Prior build you a board? If you're a big mountain rider they've got some pretty good options...

Otherwise you can get in on my Virus snowboard group buy. I'm putting the order in ASAP! The cheapest option is the Avalanche which is a freeride board with quadraxial FG, carbon fibre, and will be built to the specs the owner wants. It'll be about $680 plus shipping and taxes.

I'm going for the Avalanche FLP AFT but it's going to be about $990 plus shipping and taxes.
How do I get in on it? And how does it compare to the burton custom x 'cause it's the same price. Please tell me more. Thanks

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
How do I get in on it? And how does it compare to the burton custom x 'cause it's the same price. Please tell me more. Thanks
Unfortunately I haven't been on the Avalanche yet to judge it. All Virus boards are handmade in Germany, and every review I've read has judged them VERY highly.

The nice thing is if your size is a good match for a certain length board, but you like something stiffer/softer, he can make that too.

They have a traditional camber profile with a lifted nose for powder float, so they are very similar to the Custom X with the exception of the nose.

Right now I'm riding the angry brother of the Custom X (Burton T7) and I think the Avalanche will be a step up, otherwise I wouldn't be buying one!

If it's something you're interested in, have a look at that thread and Virus' website and get back to me. I want to put the order in soon as they'll take a few weeks to make the boards and snowboarding season is upon us in Calgary. :D:D:D

LMK

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I ride in Whistler and my local mountains (Grouse, Cypress) I don't ride switch often so directional isn't necessary. I do spins, grabs and the occasional grab, so I'm guessing the board should be light. Thanks for your help.
If you do spins how are you not riding switch often? Only 360s and 720s? And if you really don't ever ride switch, then you WANT a directional board.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately I haven't been on the Avalanche yet to judge it. All Virus boards are handmade in Germany, and every review I've read has judged them VERY highly.

The nice thing is if your size is a good match for a certain length board, but you like something stiffer/softer, he can make that too.

They have a traditional camber profile with a lifted nose for powder float, so they are very similar to the Custom X with the exception of the nose.

Right now I'm riding the angry brother of the Custom X (Burton T7) and I think the Avalanche will be a step up, otherwise I wouldn't be buying one!

If it's something you're interested in, have a look at that thread and Virus' website and get back to me. I want to put the order in soon as they'll take a few weeks to make the boards and snowboarding season is upon us in Calgary. :D:D:D

LMK
I'm interested, but are all their boards freeride only? I'm not sure I'd like that. If they have more of a Freeride/All mountain then count me in.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I'm interested, but are all their boards freeride only? I'm not sure I'd like that. If they have more of a Freeride/All mountain then count me in.
Yeah they're primarily freeride boards. I suppose you could always ask for a softer flexing board. I think flex and a more relaxed camber would be the main differences between freeride and all-mountain.

They are designed to be ridden hard though so not sure if it's what you're looking for...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ride hard, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking for something that's not targeted for racers. Imagine doing jumps on one of those boards. Also, I don't want a thin board where I need to place my feet close to vertically to avoid drag. Do they have any board who's shape is similar to the T7? Or even wider like the Custom x? I don't head up to whistler much (3 times a year) so it'll be ridiculous if I use a freeride board on grouse or cypress. There's no room for carving like that. I'm interested in the group buy idea though. Thanks man.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I ride hard, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking for something that's not targeted for racers. Imagine doing jumps on one of those boards.
Looks like racers seem to being doing jumps just fine (considering you are pushing and shoving with other people as you go over the jump). Check the last couple of jumps they do around 1:00

Wanting a board that isn't super narrow is a reasonable preference but the Avalanche freeride boards variants specs look pretty normal in width

FR 50 150 cm 24,8 cm 115 cm
FR 56 156 cm 25,2 cm 120 cm
FR 62 162 cm 25,6 cm 125 cm
FR 68 168 cm 26,0 cm 130 cm
FR 50 FLP150 cm 24,8 cm 115 cm
FR 56 FLP156 cm 25,2 cm 120 cm
FR 62 FLP162 cm 25,6 cm 125 cm
FR 68 FLP168 cm 26,0 cm 130 cm
Avalanche FLP „AFT“ Freeride 160 / 168 / 176 30,0/25,3/28,0 149 cm

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds Great! Now do I have to change my stance at all? Do I need to set my feet close to vertical on the board or can I just use a regular stance without drag. Can you link me to the board? And are you part of the group buy thing? Thanks for your help :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sounds Great! Now do I have to change my stance at all? Do I need to set my feet close to vertical on the board or can I just use a regular stance without drag. Can you link me to the board? And are you part of the group buy thing? Thanks for your help :D
Here is a link to the boards. Based on the specs... I think the Avalanche series of boards by Virus (there are several other models they sell) have a normal width profile. I checked and the Burton Custom X 160 cm board is actually narrower than the Avalanche FR - so you should be able to use the same stance as you would a regular freeride board (provided you don't have size 12+ feet... but since you are 5'9" 130lbs, I thought that was unlikely).

PM poutanen for final details soon (like tonight)!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts