Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you in CO have a sled? Looking for people to hunt pow runs with

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet!

What's your sled?

I've got a 00 Yamaha Mountain Max with a bit of work done to it. Screaaaaaammmmmmsssss

It's a bit heavy though...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sick pic Oneshot. Makes me want one that much more. :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sick pic Oneshot. Makes me want one that much more. :)
they are expensive!!! $$$$$$
mines in the shop right now with a cracked bulkhead.. $3500.00 and...... thats why we insure our sleds :)i opened a claim yesterday.. and now i have to wait like 3 to 4 weeks to get it back.. ugh! this is why i should have bought a pass at stevens..

but damn its fun! you can rally the sled hard and get fresh pow runs all day long..

rally some sledding..

then drop into the next bowl on your board! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Any of you in CO have a sled? Looking for people to hunt pow runs with

I don't have a sled, but I'll let you give me a lift to the top.

What are the rules as far as sledding... does it have to be in a specific area? Are there certain areas that are "known" for being good areas to take turns on (drop riders off at top, sled/ride down, repeat)?

·
Registered
826 Posts
just thought of next years wish list.. yep, a sled! Always wanted one but dont know where/how to start, sounds like you guys are seasoned vets with snowmobiling. I'll just ask help from you guys :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
a WRX can tow one sled, your transmission might be toast at the end of the season though..

rules for sledding areas as far as in Washington state.. you cannot sled in federal wilderness Area zones or ski resorts..
well until some of the resorts close for the season..

then its game on!! :)

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm with you Oneshot, my sled is a vehicle to find pow to shred but it's so much fun snowmobiling that it may be hard to shred

This is my first season with a sled

I planned on hauling a friend on the back and hunting, but now that I've ridden it, I will prolly buy another one so nobody is on mine

·
Veteran Member
11,568 Posts
The ultimate for me would be a sled paired up with my splitboard. The only problem I have with sleds is that you generally don't get to do trophy lines with them. Quick laps, hell yeah, and a whole ton of fun terrain. When you get into trophy line hunting though, human power is going to have to get you there eventually. Often with a huge sled assist, like what would be handy for Mt Baker. Holy Cross is another one where a sled assist would be great. There is definitely room in my arsenal for a sled.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope you get one man.... Or atleast skip a tuesday and join me if I pick up another one.

But ya, it won't get you everywhere..... However I see myself hunting for pow that I can get all the way on top of

·
Registered
636 Posts
The ultimate for me would be a sled paired up with my splitboard. The only problem I have with sleds is that you generally don't get to do trophy lines with them. Quick laps, hell yeah, and a whole ton of fun terrain. When you get into trophy line hunting though, human power is going to have to get you there eventually. Often with a huge sled assist, like what would be handy for Mt Baker. Holy Cross is another one where a sled assist would be great. There is definitely room in my arsenal for a sled.
All true statements..

although depending on where you live, in the NW its about 600 to 1200 vert runs with lots of features and pow ALL DAY, but if you want the BIG lines there are plenty of sled accessed trophy lines up in B.C. and easy pickings...

lots of people get sleds and forget why they got them cuz sledding deep pow is SO fun.. took me a couple seasons with a sled to get back into snowboarding a lot more.. but.. u have to learn how to ride the sled to get to the lines.. so.. thats my excuse :)

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I have a whole new respect for people who can makes their sled dance

I dumped mine over within the first 10 minutes of riding it and I grew up racing atv's

Weight transfer is on a completely different level with sleds than with atv's

·
Veteran Member
11,568 Posts
Oh riding a sled is an art no doubt. I have very limited experience with driving a sled, it's not easy, that is for sure.

Quick lap pow runs, yeah that's fun. I also enjoy earning my turns and not getting as much in. Both have a place. Doing sled laps at Utopia on Vail Pass is hard to beat. Then again, getting out without the noise for a long day tour has it's charms too.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i'm the jerk that bought an aftermarket pipe/can that's louder.. the louder it is the faster you think you're going :D and when you are submarining in deep pow you can hear where your throttle is at to adjust for the next submarine turn.. i do like when we get far out into a zone and stop and break though, its nice and quiet cuz we're the only sleds in the zone.. haha.. ahhh the peace it brings..

·
Registered
964 Posts
Used to have one,had to make a choice between sled and boat, boat won...thanks housing bubble :mad:
What kind of world do we live in when a man has to choose between getting a snowmobile or a boat? :laugh: :dunno: Is this a sign that we have hit rock bottom? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts