Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I went up to stevens a couple days ago I saw a lot of people with backpacks on groomed runs. (especially the green runs)
Is this a fashion trend or what?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yes, and I don't get it. A small minority of people actually have a need to take stuff on the hill, otherwise it's asinine...

reasons TO carry a backpack:
- you have a DSLR in there and plan to use it
- you are doing a warmup run or two before head to lift accessible B/C
- that's about all I can think of... anything else should be able to stay in your car or the lodge

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and I don't get it. A small minority of people actually have a need to take stuff on the hill, otherwise it's asinine...

reasons TO carry a backpack:
- you have a DSLR in there and plan to use it
- you are doing a warmup run or two before head to lift accessible B/C
- that's about all I can think of... anything else should be able to stay in your car or the lodge
What made it worse was the fact that they kept falling down.
I'd guess that the backpack kinda throws you off your balance.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I tried carrying a backpack last year when I was taking transit a lot. After a while I started locking it up in the lodge lockers. Just too much of a PITA unless you've got stuff you need on an ongoing basis ($1 each time you open the locker)

·
Registered
157 Posts
We just recently started carrying a bag.. Only for the lock, pipe or small BG, and 3 or 4packs of budweiser coldshots.

Sucks having to go back to the truck to blaze or pound a beer, this way we have them with us, accessible every chair.

Riding with the bag kinda sucks though, we switch every few runs.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Sucks having to go back to the truck to blaze or pound a beer, this way we have them with us, accessible every chair.
Not to sound like an old fart, but you gotta get out to some hills where you won't want to drink or smoke until you're done riding for the day!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not to sound like an old fart, but you gotta get out to some hills where you won't want to drink or smoke until you're done riding for the day!

Haha I know what you're talking about, but it's a neccessity here on the East Coast :D

I'm dying to get out west. I have a few buddies that live in Calgary and ride quite a bit and they make sure to rub it in..

·
Registered
162 Posts
i've been riding with one this year unless i can get a really good parking spot. i dont like carrying stuff in my pockets so i use my backpack for water, cell phone, little bit of food, safety meeting materials, screwdriver. im sure i look like a gaper but it beats heading back to the lodge or the car all the time

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here in Europe, a lot of people carry backpacks. When we are on the pist, we don't return to our hotel untill the pists are closed, so normally I have a lock, some food (sometimes I eat in a restaurant, sometimes just picknick), some water and an extra layer. I have like the smallest bagback to fit it all in and it doesn't throw me off balance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i've been riding with one this year unless i can get a really good parking spot. i dont like carrying stuff in my pockets so i use my backpack for water, cell phone, little bit of food, safety meeting materials, screwdriver. im sure i look like a gaper but it beats heading back to the lodge or the car all the time
This. If I'm up there with family and friends I typically keep it for water/layers/wallet/whatever, and don't wear one otherwise. Also, why would it mess up your balance? If that were true no one would every go into the back country. Sure there is some adjustment with a heavy pack on when you're carrying a probe/shovel/layers/whatever, but even that's not a huge deal and no one is just bumming around the resort with that kind to gear in tow.

Frankly, I don't get why people who wear them just tootling around stir up such a big fashion debate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So when I went up to stevens a couple days ago I saw a lot of people with backpacks on groomed runs. (especially the green runs)
Is this a fashion trend or what?
I see a lot of this in Colorado resorts, I don't get it. I can fit a drink, sandwich, Contour camera and a pipe/weed in my jacket or pants. Wtf are these guys bringing up the hill? :dunno:

·
Veteran Member
11,554 Posts
I see a lot of this in Colorado resorts, I don't get it. I can fit a drink, sandwich, Contour camera and a pipe/weed in my jacket or pants. Wtf are these guys bringing up the hill? :dunno:
Depends on which Colorado resorts you are talking about. At Vail, I would be guessing East Vail riders. Saw a lot of tracks coming out of that zone driving home from Palisade on Monday. You should be carrying full avy gear out there. For other Front Range spots, not so much. I suppose it could be peak six lappers or something like that. Loveland has legit access too, but I doubt very many people are getting after that right now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I rode with a small Camelbak last season. I like having water with me when I want it. I also has a power bar or two, board tool, extra layers and such.

I found it especially helpful when riding at any decent sized hill with more than one lodge.

Just don't go packing everything you own into it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Depends on which Colorado resorts you are talking about. At Vail, I would be guessing East Vail riders. Saw a lot of tracks coming out of that zone driving home from Palisade on Monday. You should be carrying full avy gear out there. For other Front Range spots, not so much. I suppose it could be peak six lappers or something like that. Loveland has legit access too, but I doubt very many people are getting after that right now.
That's true, but most of those guys you see are clearly just cruising groomers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only time I wear a pack inbounds is when we've had a big snow storm. Anywhere from 3-6ft of fresh! I'll carry a beacon, probe and shovel. Besides the tree wells, There's one area (Quail Face) that's not covered by patrol, plenty of signs when hiking out to; "Avy Danger" "no patrol" etc etc.. Quail Face has slid in the past, so I'm not taking any chances...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts