Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
183cm, 10US, 75kg,

Long time lerker and I was hoping if anyone could watch my video and give me some tips.
LD snowboarding <- Video at Falls Creek

I've never boarded with anyone extremely experienced, so all of my learning has been done via Youtube and intuition. I feel like I've gotten to a level where I'm okay, but I need a lot of things ironed out.

I just don't feel like I have correct posture (lowkey strained the left side of my lower back) and I'm not able to dig/slice in as hard.

Please feel free to blast met - keen to absorb as much tips!

side note: I did not realise the vid would automatically turn into a short !

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
Welcome.
Its decent at an intermediate level. However, you are using too much upper body twist, washing out or pushing your back foot to rudder, you are bending over instead of squatting into and out of your turns, you are not holding the turn/carve and letting your board run on the radius and you got the cheetah tail flailing about.

Remedy: Keep your body parts in the cereal box. Squat into your turns via being mindful of your pelvic tilt/rotation. Trust the board. And grab your balls...holding on to your balls will help you stay in the cereal box and keep your upper body more aligned with the box and prevent the cheetah tail (you want to tighten up everything around the vertical axis. See the creepy basement vid.

Edit: looking at it again, you are squatting on the heelside, but bending over on toeside...see pelvic humping on creepy basement. Try riding with your leading hand touching your leading knee. And your trailing hand holding your ball-sack. You don't need your arms extend...keep it compacted and tight around you body/vertical axis...its more quick and efficient...you are wasting lots of movement and energy and with arms out flailing about is causing latency in moving/positioning into/for the next turn. Also slow down and get your form dialed/sorted...and use the real-estate to get very familar with moving over the board and using the radius of the board and riding the edge...it will also help you feel the initiation and transition phases to the next turn...you are blowing past/forcing these phases and not letting the turn develop...its a timing and movement issue...you are not smooth. Once you have this down, then work on cross-under turns where you are keeping your leading shoulder pointed straight down the fall line and you are then moving your board back and forth under your body by sucking up your knees. It looks like that is what you want to do (cross unders)...but it is two different things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the riding is quite good. There is some dynamic movement and the overall turn shape is oriented on riding the sidecut. You are pivoting at the start before locking in, but that is actually something that is used very often in freeriding situations.

For example, a turn that is heavily on the jump turn side of the spectrum is just a pivot followed by a quick edge engagement as the board is pointed down the fall line before it quickly cuts across. Someone with poor edging skills attempting this is just going to link sideslips and never really quite stop moving down the fallline on the steeps.

I would concentrate on the toeside and improve that as much as possible. Other improvements should follow from that naturally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts