Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! Anyone else out there been riding for decades?
I'm wondering if anyone else has shared my recent knee pain problem and has a solution...

I started boarding in 1991 and spent college my years in Crested Butte and early adult life in Tahoe and currently ride my local hill in Wyoming. I haven't had many years that haven't been on a board and through all of them I have never had any sort of chronic pain injury.
I'm now a 44 year old fit female. I own a gym, been a trainer for 20 years and have a solid background in kinesiology and injury management. I also run and bike and lift year round. (Just giving some context that fitness isn't probably the problem.)
I have been having some knee issues over the past two seasons that have me and my PT scratching our heads.

Here is the problem. I am having pretty significant miniscus pain in my back leg and haven't been able to find a good solution. Snowboarding is the only thing that bothers it and more on groomers than pow days. If I get off the snowboard and go for a run or bike my knee feels better immediately...
I'm a hair short of 5.5 and all legs. I have narrowed my stance, played with my degree of stance and had temporary but not great improvement.My stance is about 21" (from center disc to center disc). Any narrower and I feel super squirrely. And have tried everything between 15, -15 to 8, -8 over the last few months with lots of adjustment in between. I have messed around with my highbacks too and only succeeded in feeling ridiculous with much forward lean.

Most of my pain seems to come when I am on my heelside edge. Cat tracks are the worst. We initially thought I was diving in with my knee but I am not sure why it would hurt on a heelside cat track when I'm in more of a squat position.
My knee KILLS me by the end of the day with any sort of extension. It feels inflamed after lunch on the lift and super stiff by the end of the day. My PT says there isn't any degradation yet and he says I am pretty balanced with no sign of overuse or imbalance problems.
So here is my question... Anyone out there have similar experience and solution? I bought new boots with less forward lean which have helped a little and may buy new bindings next year. If there is a next year... I sure don't want to go back to skis.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I chased pain in my rear knee for years. I was definitely driving in with it. Going ++ with my angles really helped me. Now I'm driving force into the center of the board without twisting my knee to get there. I also started riding and driving home with a compression sleeve, which seemed to help.

If you've already rotated your back foot to positive angles, it sounds like your problem is something else. Have you looked into canting inside of your boots?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I chased pain in my rear knee for years. I was definitely driving in with it. Going ++ with my angles really helped me. Now I'm driving force into the center of the board without twisting my knee to get there. I also started riding and driving home with a compression sleeve, which seemed to help.

If you've already rotated your back foot to positive angles, it sounds like your problem is something else. Have you looked into canting inside of your boots?
This, alignment is everything sometimes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m considering canting. Any suggestions on how to best do it? Insoles? Wedges? I also need to have someone video me and see if I can see the issue.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Have you been using stock insoles in your boots all this time?
Also this. Stock insoles are an afterthought. Mine go straight into the trash. Aftermarket insoles that fit your arches make a huge difference. They don't need to be custom, or really even snowboarding specific, but they do need to support your feet better than the stock ones do.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,933 Posts
Does your knee bother you at all when you're sitting normally? Does extending your leg help?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
+1 for FF stance. It cured my knee after many many seasons of epic swelling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I’ll check it out. Superfeet on the old boots but the new ones are stock. They feel better than my old ones so I kept them. I have pretty nuetral feet so I haven’t ever felt any better with an orthotic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I ride the chairlift it hurts if I extend it towards the end of the day and that evening. Medial part of the knee and inside the joint soreness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll try some canting and I’m going to try positive in the back too. But y’all that’s so alpine! Lol. Should I get hard bindings too? Kidding, at this point anything that helps with be worth it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Another thing that really helped me cure my swelling problem was correcting my walk, making sure I swing my bad knee the same as my good knee and that I complete my steps equally.
I used to let my bad knee swing in a knock knee fashion and that cause long term posterior inflammation, I also used to cut my steps too short on my bad leg so fixing those daily habits went a long way to fixing my swelling problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had chronic knee pain for years. Started using arnicare gel on my knees 3 times a day. It was like a miracle. I have no idea what it does or how it works, but it worked for me. I'm a real sceptic on homeopathic medicines also. But I can't deni success.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey All! Anyone else out there been riding for decades?
I'm wondering if anyone else has shared my recent knee pain problem and has a solution...

I started boarding in 1991 and spent college my years in Crested Butte and early adult life in Tahoe and currently ride my local hill in Wyoming. I haven't had many years that haven't been on a board and through all of them I have never had any sort of chronic pain injury.
I'm now a 44 year old fit female. I own a gym, been a trainer for 20 years and have a solid background in kinesiology and injury management. I also run and bike and lift year round. (Just giving some context that fitness isn't probably the problem.)
I have been having some knee issues over the past two seasons that have me and my PT scratching our heads.

Here is the problem. I am having pretty significant miniscus pain in my back leg and haven't been able to find a good solution. Snowboarding is the only thing that bothers it and more on groomers than pow days. If I get off the snowboard and go for a run or bike my knee feels better immediately...
I'm a hair short of 5.5 and all legs. I have narrowed my stance, played with my degree of stance and had temporary but not great improvement.My stance is about 21" (from center disc to center disc). Any narrower and I feel super squirrely. And have tried everything between 15, -15 to 8, -8 over the last few months with lots of adjustment in between. I have messed around with my highbacks too and only succeeded in feeling ridiculous with much forward lean.

Most of my pain seems to come when I am on my heelside edge. Cat tracks are the worst. We initially thought I was diving in with my knee but I am not sure why it would hurt on a heelside cat track when I'm in more of a squat position.
My knee KILLS me by the end of the day with any sort of extension. It feels inflamed after lunch on the lift and super stiff by the end of the day. My PT says there isn't any degradation yet and he says I am pretty balanced with no sign of overuse or imbalance problems.
So here is my question... Anyone out there have similar experience and solution? I bought new boots with less forward lean which have helped a little and may buy new bindings next year. If there is a next year... I sure don't want to go back to skis.
Thanks!
MRI much? Best solution

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are not riding switch 50% of the time then there's not much benefit in a symmetrical duck stance, other than that you are familiar with it. I've had surgery on the medial meniscus on my back leg and going even to 0 or -3 degrees on the back foot makes a big improvement for me in terms of pain. That and bindings with a canted base. If you are thinking about new bindings anyway, I can recommend Rome Katanas as they have some space age dampening material which is nice for the knees but also they ship with flat and canted footbeds in the box that take two seconds to change with no tools. You could even ride with them in your pocket and change halfway down a run to feel the difference or have one foot canted one flat (pretty sure Craig Kelly rode with only his rear foot canted FWIW).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts