Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
☝😂😂😂😂☝

Ya bro you got me pegged bro Im a park rat that's still in high school bro and I'm currently in the boobs portion of my science class.

Id also like to point out that I never suggested not seeing a doc (and in fact said she should go see a good ortho sports doc). I just said the utility of an MRI is pretty limited at this point no matter how fancy it seems and how much you'd like to have the test. X ray, sure. Most sports med docs will have you do one in their office before they even see you if they have that available. Though I guess that depends on how conservative they are since some might punt that and just do an exam instead.

But yeah boobs.

I really need to stay out of these online. It's just not worrrrttttthhhh ittttt.

·
Registered
893 Posts
☝😂😂😂😂☝

Ya bro you got me pegged bro Im a park rat that's still in high school bro and I'm currently in the boobs portion of my science class.

Id also like to point out that I never suggested not seeing a doc (and in fact said she should go see a good ortho sports doc). I just said the utility of an MRI is pretty limited at this point no matter how fancy it seems and how much you'd like to have the test. X ray, sure. Most sports med docs will have you do one in their office before they even see you if they have that available. Though I guess that depends on how conservative they are since some might punt that and just do an exam instead.

But yeah boobs.

I really need to stay out of these online. It's just not worrrrttttthhhh ittttt.
An MRI machine is probably the greatest advancement in modern medicine over the last 100 years. Fancy? Yeah, I guess it’s fancy. The reality is it allows you to see into the human body without cutting it open. It’s a non-invasive way to understand your joint.

And yes, no PT or doctor for that matter, can know for sure what is going on.

And yes, an X-ray would absolutely help determine whether she has arthritis, which any doc would do on site if they had the machine in house to see the joint.

Please get educated. Seeing a doctor and getting imaging is absolutely a smart way to diagnose a chronic knee injury (and yes it is chronic when the same activity causes pain every time).

Or you could eat pizza and rub some tussin’ on it like this bro above

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
This is amazing for so many reasons that you just don't seem capable of comprehending.
Wunderbar broseph, wunderbar.

Can you tell me what the difference is between an MRI and Xray? I'm actually not familiar at all with either of those diagnostic modalities... Nope. Not even a little bit!

Man. I love the internet. Never change man, never change.
😂 😂 😂

·
Registered
70 Posts
☝😂😂😂😂☝

But yeah boobs.

MRI's are to image soft tissue in 3 dimensions. An xray is to image hard tissue aka bones in 2 dimensions. It's not a matter of being fancy, they are different tools for different jobs.

Sports medicine docs will NOT do an xray to look for suspected soft tissue damage since xrays don't show soft tissue. An MRI is the tool if an examination shows the possibility of soft tissue damage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Knee pain in the front foot seems more to indicate an injury of some kind. Back foot is at more of a stressful angle in most stances as well as doing more work. Well worth seeing sports medicine doc. Knees love bicycles. Riding as much as possible is good therapy for knee soft tissue. Even good for knee arthritis with some tweaks to the equipment.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
MRI's are to image soft tissue in 3 dimensions. An xray is to image hard tissue aka bones in 2 dimensions. It's not a matter of being fancy, they are different tools for different jobs.

Sports medicine docs will NOT do an xray to look for suspected soft tissue damage since xrays don't show soft tissue. An MRI is the tool if an examination shows the possibility of soft tissue damage.
I'll take "what is a rhetorical question?" for 500.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You are corrrect on this direction. My physical therapist and I have considered early onset arthritis. I haven’t gotten an mri as the pain is only when I ride. He feels that the miniscus is at this point uninjured but pissed off. Trying to fix my riding to avoid further problems.
I've got both meniscus trouble and arthritis in my left knee, only thing that works for me is medication (methotrexate) and training. Building muscles around my knee to keep it strong. I'm not gonna pretend I feel like I'm 20 years old again, but it works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well after 36 years of boarding, mtn biking and being hit by a jetski at 45 mph directly to my left knee, it has also started acting up.

I’ve had numerous cortisone injections and fluid drainage’s which get me through another season, but now my doc has said arthritis and knee replacement look to be in my future. I’ve looked into stem cell, electronic therapy and now PRP Platelet Rich Plasma.

To be honest some people swear by each of them and others don’t. After an appointment with a Sports doctor he recommended weight loss (25lbs) is the #1 thing that helps all knee injuries in combination with the PRP. I figure for the $300 cost and hit the bike harder and the beer less harder it will be in my favor come winter.

I’ve never missed a season in 36 years or as far as that goes a week in 36 years, but this was my shortest season ever due to the knee symptoms and the phucked up covid lines. I’m thinking of scheduling the appointment within 2 weeks, but before I do that I should schedule my torn meniscus appointment first.

Turning 55 this year and still charging the powder hard I know due to my age, joints and body I need to realize I’m not in my early 20’s competing anymore, but just as in my jetski racing days and competitive boarding days that is very hard to transfer from my brain to my body.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well after 36 years of boarding, mtn biking and being hit by a jetski at 45 mph directly to my left knee, it has also started acting up.

I’ve had numerous cortisone injections and fluid drainage’s which get me through another season, but now my doc has said arthritis and knee replacement look to be in my future. I’ve looked into stem cell, electronic therapy and now PRP Platelet Rich Plasma.

To be honest some people swear by each of them and others don’t. After an appointment with a Sports doctor he recommended weight loss (25lbs) is the #1 thing that helps all knee injuries in combination with the PRP. I figure for the $300 cost and hit the bike harder and the beer less harder it will be in my favor come winter.

I’ve never missed a season in 36 years or as far as that goes a week in 36 years, but this was my shortest season ever due to the knee symptoms and the phucked up covid lines. I’m thinking of scheduling the appointment within 2 weeks, but before I do that I should schedule my torn meniscus appointment first.

Turning 55 this year and still charging the powder hard I know due to my age, joints and body I need to realize I’m not in my early 20’s competing anymore, but just as in my jetski racing days and competitive boarding days that is very hard to transfer from my brain to my body.
Weight loss and strength training can do wonders for the knees. I also take fish oil, collagen protein, glucosamine and MSM supplements daily. It definitely helps, just topping up these things that naturally occur in the body but decline with age. I really notice increased pain if I forget to buy and don't take them for a week or so.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks I’ll check it out. Superfeet on the old boots but the new ones are stock. They feel better than my old ones so I kept them. I have pretty nuetral feet so I haven’t ever felt any better with an orthotic.
I like remind insoles, and put them in everything but my road cycling and mtb shoes (where I use G8 insoles with customisable arch supports). I have low arches, and am using the cush level support. What I really like about them is the stable heel and midfoot surface with a stiff outer layer on the underside , so they really promote foot stability, IMO, while the support foam contacting your foot molds to shape somewhat.
you say your feet are neutral, so minimal pronation or supination? how high or low are your arches?

I would consider dialling in the insoles before canting boot or binding. & re bindings, do they have a fixed cant degree, or can you swap out the binding footbed pads like on Rome katanas, for example. (most bindings have a fixed cant with no option to change it)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like remind insoles, and put them in everything but my road cycling and mtb shoes. I have low arches, and am using the cush level support. What I really like about them is the stable heel and midfoot surface with a stiff outer layer on the underside , so they really promote foot stability, IMO, while the support foam contacting your foot molds to shape somewhat.
you say your feet are neutral, so minimal pronation or supination? how high or low are your arches?

I would consider dialling in the insoles before canting boot or binding. & re bindings, do they have a fixed cant degree, or can you swap out the binding footbed pads like on Rome katanas, for example. (most bindings have a fixed cant with no option to change it)
Back in the day I worked at a cabinet shop and we would take scrap pieces of oak and duct tape them to our bindings for cant beds

41 - 55 of 55 Posts