Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!

I was reading messages form the forum and didn't find any information on Russian winter resorts. So I decided to write about my favorite one))). You all know about Sochi, but we have a lot of different places except that crowded city. Tell a truth I just don't like Sochi though it is considered to be the gem of the region where I grew up. There is too much noise, mountains are mostly not natural already, though it's rather clean there. But many people like it because it's fashionable and "civil". As for me I prefer wild mountains where you can see and feel the power of nature. My favorite place is Dombay where I currently live. It's situated in Karachay-Cherkess Republic, Caucasus. Dombay is a small settlement with official population only 300 people. And it is surrounded with mountains from every side: when you look around you feel like a small ant looking at mighty silent giants. Every season has it's own magic here. You can see it from photos (though they are not able to show all the beauty). We also have a lot of rivers with ice water, waterfalls, lakes... Today it started snowing on the 3rd level already (there are 5 levels here and possibility for freeriding))) Besides every year we have snowboarding and ski competitions here and other interesting events like bikeshow, paraglider sport cup, rock climbing competitions and so on. I'm not very good in telling something so I will better attach more photos.

Attachments

·
Banned
257 Posts
yes i think that that is a correct boot size for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks awesome!

Do you have any photos from your days on the mountain? I would love to come ride there.

Sure. Last photo was taken in winter last year (that is near the hotel) and all others were taken in spring 2007 (the only photos of myself on the high levels I could find).

Attachments

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,460 Posts
Strange joke... At least for Russian mind)))
Well, around here, DCsnow "Is" the joke! Don't worry if you didn't "Get It!" It wasn't much of a joke & he isn't funny!!! :dunno:

(....Unless he's giving equipment advice, talking about his life, his girlfriend, his occupation, school, where he lives, and what kind of snowboarder he is! Then? He's Freakin' Hilarious!!!!) :laugh: :eusa_clap:

As for the pics,... Looks damn near like Heaven to me!!! Welcome! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Belka, are those first pics all taken by you, or just some taken of the area? Some of those are pretty sweet...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Belka, are those first pics all taken by you, or just some taken of the area? Some of those are pretty sweet...

They all are taken in my area, but summer photos I took myself and others were taken by my friend.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks beautiful! and Big! and DCSnow, can you please stop shit posting man? I'm not big on bashing you like other people have, but can you at least pretend to keep it on topic?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Great place when there's snow. The thing about Dombai is that when winter is bad there's no snow. I mean none. I hear they have a good snowmaking though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like rockin' terrain to me. Not a bad place to call home at all.
Yep. But after living near the sea for 22 years it was difficult to get used to climate and air pressure here:dizzy: I hope that soon I will finally start feeling here like at home. But there is one more obstacle for it: too small amount of people. Of course, there are a lot of people outside since December till May, but during other months if you go out in the middle of the week it seems like the settlement is dead: not a single soul on the street... Only lonely wisp of smoke flowing from the pipe of cafe nearby.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great place when there's snow. The thing about Dombai is that when winter is bad there's no snow. I mean none. I hear they have a good snowmaking though.
It seems that you made a muddle of Dombay and Sochi. They have warmer climate. Besides after they built a new tunnel they really have problems with snow because of air flow disruption. And yes, they use snowmaking machinery for Krasnaya Polyana for 3 years. Or maybe you thought about Dubai. Last season was bad here: it started snowing only in the very end of December and snow melt after March. But during last 10 years here have never been snowless winter (maybe more, but all past 10 winters I came here with my family and can say for sure that here was enough snow for riding).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Haven't been to Dombai in at least 27 years, don't know much about changes except that they must be significant. I remember though we had to switch training camps due to lack of snow and the word around always was that Dombai is sort of a crapshoot when snow is concerned. That was early 80s I think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts