Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys in a couple weeks I'm off to Japan to spend a week on the slopes and i was wondering about the differences of riding deep snow compared to standard main run stuff. I am a beginner, I've only had a couple of days with a board, so any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi guys in a couple weeks I'm off to Japan to spend a week on the slopes and i was wondering about the differences of riding deep snow compared to standard main run stuff. I am a beginner, I've only had a couple of days with a board, so any advice will be much appreciated.
Powder riding is different than groomed piste riding - you steer with the whole base of the board rather than just the edges

If you can surf, skate or wakeboard those skills will help you.

What board will you be taking, or are you renting?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You're probably gonna have a bad time lol noobs don't do well in powder, make sure you have a powder board at least, to stop the back leg pain

·
Registered
392 Posts
You're probably gonna have a bad time lol noobs don't do well in powder, make sure you have a powder board at least, to stop the back leg pain
Yep, unfortunately spot on. Please tell me you ride on your toeside at least...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Powder riding is different than groomed piste riding - you steer with the whole base of the board rather than just the edges

If you can surf, skate or wakeboard those skills will help you.

What board will you be taking, or are you renting?
I second this. Powder riding is not crazily hard once you get this. You should be fine in a day or two if you got the basic riding down. Just ride where you can see where you are going all the time and where you have plenty of space to fall.

If anything is hard ridning powder, it's when you get stuck or you run into crust. Crust is murder for us newbies. Hopefully you won't run into that :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try to get to a mountain as much as possible between now and your trip and get comfortable with speed. You don't want to get frustrated on your sick vacation!

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Set your bindings back on your board too if you're riding powder on a board not specifically made for it. That will make things a bit easier for you.

It's not a completely different feeling and skill than riding groomers but it's close. The good news is that powder is really forgiving of typical beginner mistakes. The bad news is that you go much slower in powder and need to ride steeper terrain than you're probably used to in order to not get stuck. That mild blue or steep green run that you are used to won't give you enough speed to carry you to the bottom of the mountain. Falling and recovering in deep powder is exhausting particularly if it's low angle. Choose your runs carefully so you don't have to walk a mile through three feet of deep snow if you fall.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just about to say the same thing. Whole new level of tired.
My first time out west I was at loveland, had a good storm, fresh snow everywhere, going up the lift, in between some tracked out runs, I see this perfect field of fresh untouched powder. start thinking holy shit these other guys dont even notice all this pow! head off lift and start heading down to my little powder stash, after about 20 feet of deep awesome snow, it flattens out and im stuck there like an idiot, legit took about 30 minutes to walk out, I wanted to cry and have a beer, I was so tired after it pretty ruined the rest of the day for me.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
My first time out west I was at loveland, had a good storm, fresh snow everywhere, going up the lift, in between some tracked out runs, I see this perfect field of fresh untouched powder. start thinking holy shit these other guys dont even notice all this pow! head off lift and start heading down to my little powder stash, after about 20 feet of deep awesome snow, it flattens out and im stuck there like an idiot, legit took about 30 minutes to walk out, I wanted to cry and have a beer, I was so tired after it pretty ruined the rest of the day for me.
lol TRUTH

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Just a heads up...falling in deep pow...keep your head up...seriously. If you get your ass higher than you head...you could be dead...don't do a header into the snow. At the least head in the snow, one gets panicked, flopping or trying to flop around with the end result of being tired, then having to build a shelf (if you got enough slope) or swimming out of waist deep.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Keep your nose up! If you have a normal twin board especially with camber you will quickly notice you need to lean back to keep the nose from sinking, this is where moving your bindings back will help a lot. If you have a powder board ie: big fat scoop nose, or way more nose than tail , swallow tail ect. it will almost be a non issue sinking your nose.
Once you get your speed up and start planing it all becomes a lot easier and feels amazing. Until you fall and your arms just go down into the snow and it takes all of your effort to stand back up. Do whatever it takes to clear the snow off your nose and hopefully you got some incline to generate speed, or else it will be a hard af hike (or swim) on the flats.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,266 Posts
Yup!!! Riding steep terrain in deep pow is definitely different than hitting a few quick pow stash off the groomers at sum midwest resort. I learned that the hard way @ Mt. Baker with @wrathfuldeity. ;) :laugh: I ate a lot of "Humble POW" that trip. (...see what I did there? ;) :D)

You ARE going to fall a lot. And as has been mentioned, recovering is exhausting.

Stay low, loose & flexible. Keep your speed up as much as possible, weight towards the back foot.

Most importantly, have fun!!!

When you've a chance, check YouTube for Snowboard Addictions tutorial on riding pow. Lots of good tips there.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
He's going to Japan. Japow! He'll be fine. Snow there is deep, but so incredubly light n fluffy... it's not hard to ride. No leaning back needed. One flies through feathers.

Best advice for Japan I can give you is: DO NOT FALL with your head pointing down the slope in deep. The fluff will hardly allow to get back up. You push into bottomless feathers.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,266 Posts
H
Hi guys in a couple weeks I'm off to Japan to spend a week on the slopes...

I am a beginner, I've only had a couple of days with a board...
e's going to Japan. Japow! He'll be fine. Snow there is deep, but so incredubly light n fluffy... it's not hard to ride. No leaning back needed. One flies through feathers.
Oh Man,..!!!! If you going to go somewhere to learn to ride, pow or otherwise,... NooB REALLY picked the right spot! (y)LoL!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts