Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing I learned on a Cat day in Whistler is to pause once you've fallen. If you stand back up unassisted and set off straightaway you'll end up wiping straight out as it's tiring work. Once you stand up, take a moment before you set off. Your turns will need to be less aggressive as well. You need quite a bit more speed in POW as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bindings back, keep nose up at all times, steer with your back foot as your front foot is basically doing bugger all. When is gets chopped up try and turn on a fresh patch of powder if you can rather than a track. Japan is perfect for going just off side of run into deep powder to get a feel then pop back on run again. Very easy to get your confidence up here. Best tip is to get a powder specific shorter board as its way more fun and easier on your rear leg.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Japan is perfect for going just off side of run into deep powder to get a feel then pop back on run again. Very easy to get your confidence up here.
This. Plus, it'll only take you like 10-15 minutes to swim back to the run if you fall 10-15 metres from it. :)

One other way of thinking about riding in pow is the following:
  • "Disconnect" your upper body from your lower.
  • You upper body points more into the fall line instead of being parallell to the board.
  • Keep your core muscles active, and your legs very loose.
  • Put a bit more weight on your back leg and keep a very low stance. No, even lower than that. Come on now, you can do better.
The last part is what will make your rear thigh feel like it's burning. So it's more or less the opposite of what you've been told as a beginner (except the low stance part). Keeping your legs loose will allow you to "flow" more with the contours in the snow. It's kind of like partially handing over controll to mother nature. :)

This has been confirmed by a French UCPA instructor, so at least I'm not talking complete nonsense. :D

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Hi guys in a couple weeks I'm off to Japan to spend a week on the slopes and i was wondering about the differences of riding deep snow compared to standard main run stuff. I am a beginner, I've only had a couple of days with a board, so any advice will be much appreciated.
OP should be in the deep end of the pool about meow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys! I really appreciated all the helpful advice, and tips for not falling head first into snow. I don't think I'll be going off-piste that much, but it's great to have your comments in the back of my mind. I will be heading off this weekend to Japan, and rest assured that there will be a cringey video of my trip. Peace ✌ :alien:❄🏂

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Thanks guys! I really appreciated all the helpful advice, and tips for not falling head first into snow. I don't think I'll be going off-piste that much, but it's great to have your comments in the back of my mind. I will be heading off this weekend to Japan, and rest assured that there will be a cringey video of my trip. Peace ✌ :alien:❄🏂
NOoooo...try going off-piste as much as possible....just go as fast as possible and lean waaaay back. As for turning...try to avoid turning much...just a gradual long turn...but more importantly keep you speed up...turning to much/sharply kills the speed. Hopefully you will catch the dragon...and be ruined for life. At first, just dart a bit in to the pow from the groomer...stay close to the groomed (like 2-3 feet from the groomer) If you are slowing down too much just dart back to the groomer. Just do a long curve in to the pow and back on to the groomer. As you figure it out you can then gradually make longer voyages into the pow.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you feel too much in the backseat, don't lean forward, adjust your bindings forward instead.
And watch out for the sasa.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
And watch out for the sasa.
Yep. Sasa is the devil. One cannot edge sasa, lol.
Hope, it will be covered once you're there.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,267 Posts
Ahrright!! Cummon all you insiders,... let us in on it eh?

Since you wuz being all mysterious,.. I practiced the art of "Google-fu" and found out for myself what Sassa is.

IMG_9891.PNG

I imagine that's a biotch to ride over when it isn't buried deep in pow. 😳

-edit-
...I've a pretty good idea of what it means to be "Bush Welled!" 💥😳

21 - 33 of 33 Posts