Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1461 - 1479 of 1479 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
So last winter my work sent me to Amsterdam for 2 months to work at one of our data centers, so I reached out to Neni and of course her and her partner were super cool and invited me out to Switzerland for a long weekend staying with them in their cabin(which was dope!) Got to ride a few days, meet some cool people, and eat a TON of cheese. The weather could have been better, but who knew TOO MUCH snow was gonna be our problem? My first experience at a european resort and it definitely has a way different feel that the US (no yellow jackets FTW!) till next time!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
So last winter my work sent me to Amsterdam for 2 months to work at one of our data centers, so I reached out to Neni and of course her and her partner were super cool and invited me out to Switzerland for a long weekend staying with them in their cabin(which was dope!) Got to ride a few days, meet some cool people, and eat a TON of cheese. The weather could have been better, but who knew TOO MUCH snow was gonna be our problem? My first experience at a european resort and it definitely has a way different feel that the US (no yellow jackets FTW!) till next time!

Awesome dude!
Question... are those first three pics still in bounds, or are they back/side country.

Cuz if they'z inbounds? That shiznit iz da bomb!!! >:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
All pictures are inbound, they had crazy high avy danger that week, could see mountain faces just ripped off all around the resort, we had to wait 2 days to hit that snowfield, it was firm spring corn style by then, still fun!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Not sure what's more gnarly, sketchy, butt-puckering material....... Deagol's super sketchy chute or those swiss inbounds slides. I'm assuming they were triggered, but still....... :death:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,010 Posts
Question... are those first three pics still in bounds, or are they back/side country.

Cuz if they'z inbounds? That shiznit iz da bomb!!! >:)
Not sure what's more gnarly, sketchy, butt-puckering material....... Deagol's super sketchy chute or those swiss inbounds slides. I'm assuming they were triggered, but still....... :death:
We don't have this "inbound" concept. Off the groomer is "BC". Not real BC.. , but not controlled; it's your own responsibility to choose where to go or leave it. Certain slopes are very save as the angle is low, certain slopes are bombed, but only those, which could put a groomer in danger. If there's no groomer below? No bombing.

Those pics are slopes right below the chairlift, which we usually love to ride; they lead into awesome gullies. But they were a clear no-go at that time. (Huge debris fields in the gullies; we tried... no fun!); We had to stick to a very selected part of the mtn to show 16gkid some nice runs; off-piste runs which had the right angle and exposure and are ridden frequently. Cos at that time, everything steep high alpine was an avalanche debris war zone as stuff just went off spontaneously from the massive dumps.
So... yes, @chomps1211, that's "inbound" if you define inbound as hop of the chairlift and ride it. But you need to decide yourself when/where to ride there. It's avy terrain at certain days. On other days, it's playground :).
And no @F1EA, that wasn't a controlled slide. But it also wasn't a dangerous slide cos that specific slope - right below the chairlift - wents off every year. One only rides it at certain days. Special was that it just was one of the 100 slides all around the upper zone of the resort.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,143 Posts
We all rode together a few years ago (a SBF crew including Mrs. & Mr. Neni) and it was a ton of fun..
Riding with them at their home mountain would be awesome.. very lucky 16Gkid !!

The mountains there is Switzerland look way better than what we have here...

Dunno about better,.. certainly different & fun. (...but then I thought CO was fun too.) ::grin:

It looks as tho a lot of their resorts are truly Alpine resorts. Which is pretty cool.

I have another friend living in Switzerland over on the Zurich side. Her & @neni's resort & groomer shots all appear to be pretty much well above treeline. (...at least it does where they're choosing to ride anyway. :lol: )

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
We don't have this "inbound" concept. Off the groomer is "BC". Not real BC.. , but not controlled; it's your own responsibility to choose where to go or leave it. Certain slopes are very save as the angle is low, certain slopes are bombed, but only those, which could put a groomer in danger. If there's no groomer below? No bombing.

Those pics are slopes right below the chairlift, which we usually love to ride; they lead into awesome gullies. But they were a clear no-go at that time. (Huge debris fields in the gullies; we tried... no fun!); We had to stick to a very selected part of the mtn to show 16gkid some nice runs; off-piste runs which had the right angle and exposure and are ridden frequently. Cos at that time, everything steep high alpine was an avalanche debris war zone as stuff just went off spontaneously from the massive dumps.
So... yes, @chomps1211, that's "inbound" if you define inbound as hop of the chairlift and ride it. But you need to decide yourself when/where to ride there. It's avy terrain at certain days. On other days, it's playground :).
And no @F1EA, that wasn't a controlled slide. But it also wasn't a dangerous slide cos that specific slope - right below the chairlift - wents off every year. One only rides it at certain days. Special was that it just was one of the 100 slides all around the upper zone of the resort.
So you're responsible to educate yourself and make your own decisions instead of suing people when things go bad?
What a concept.

This was last week. It's a controlled slide though. It was huge:

https://www.snowboardingforum.com/western-canada/259219-western-canada-aka-pacific-south-west-5.html#post3338203

This is other one is partially out of bounds as you have like a 45min hike to that peak, but it leads into inbounds terrain (or backcountry if you drop to the other face). We rode the drop immediately right of the shiny rock outcrop on that same day, but you can see the other 2 lines had been bombed, so it's still relatively safe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2lz8RH77Q/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ep1a3rzu02fb

That ^ was end of last season. And the cornices and those trigger slides mean it's pretty unsafe unless they get bombed. In fact, even after bombing, very few people would drop on those cornices.

In a way, it's pretty safe here; but sometimes you do get turned back from going sidecountry if conditions are too risky. I've learned to listen to them (patrol).

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Some stuff from Monday, my last day on Whistler before heading home. Beautiful day, hard snow.

ETA: There are pictures in this post, and the markup is all correct. WTF?

ETATA: NVM, looks like the forum requires an https link.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Ok kids, I finally got a GP and gave er a crack. -20f air temp the morning of the recording, she was a bitt chilly.

This was maybe my 3rd lap holding this thing...

1461 - 1479 of 1479 Posts