Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where else to post this, so I figured here was good. This is mostly referring to jumps.

Is it just me, or is snowboarding missing a lot style these days? It seems like we have kids throwing every type of rodeo, backside 7, backflip, frontflip, you name it, but I've yet to see anyone bust out a clean method at my local resort this year. Maybe it's just an East Coast small resort thing, but it kind of bothers me. It's starting to feel like a lot of the soul in snowboarding is becoming lost in mainstream nonsense.

Sure, rodeos and flips are cool, but I kind of find myself laughing when I meet people who can do them that can't even method, crail, or tweak an indy with a shifty.

As I said before, maybe it's just an East Coast small resort thing, but it's just something I've noticed lately. What are your guys' thoughts on this? Is it happening where you live too?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I can't speak for the trend of snowboarding lately because I guess I'm in my own little world. But the most important thing to me at this point is my style. I don't hit crazy backflip rodeos but I believe I have sick style. The way I read the terrain and how I ride it is what reflexes me as a person. At least that's how I feel personally. And really tweaking my method is a goal for this year. I don't want a weak and untweaked board grab of any kind!

I really like this thread. It's how I feel in general. Style is so important to me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
there are different trends and disciplines that come and go all the time, but style will never go out of style. the only person's action you can control are your own, and often not even those, ha!

my personal pet peeve are the trenchers under the chair all day, i would like to....nevermind

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't speak for the trend of snowboarding lately because I guess I'm in my own little world. But the most important thing to me at this point is my style. I don't hit crazy backflip rodeos but I believe I have sick style. The way I read the terrain and how I ride it is what reflexes me as a person. At least that's how I feel personally. And really tweaking my method is a goal for this year. I don't want a weak and untweaked board grab of any kind!

I really like this thread. It's how I feel in general. Style is so important to me. :thumbsup:
That's what's up. I feel like getting creative and letting yourself do what you want regardless of what others are doing is part of the whole point of snowboarding. I mean, if we don't work on individual styles, then what's the point? Might as well have a coach on the side telling us what to do...

·
Registered
451 Posts
True, but at least you appreciate it... In more stylish times, people must have been like, "I hate how everyone just tweaks grabs and acts so laid back... No one does any crazy flips and shit"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some guys have a bit of both, speaking of style, Victor got it, and the spins

Victor De Le Rue – The Search Is Everything By Rip Curl | Onboard Magazine
That is so sick. See, that's what I'm talking about. I think the sport needs both. Hucking and chucking is sweet and all, but I think a lot of people have forgotten how difficult slower, more stylish tricks are too. It's not as physically difficult, but it's hard to stay calm and keep everything smooth in say, a backside 180 melon grab vs. a FS indy 7.

I think there's more that could be done with shifties too. For example, I have yet to see anyone do a BS 360 shifty shifty with a method grab on the first shifty or a FS 360 shifty shifty with a crail in the 2nd shifty. Something tells me these tricks are definitely possible, but just really difficult. I can even do the body movements on a trampoline.

I want to learn the shifty shifty 3 and start experimenting...

·
Registered
545 Posts
ive noticed that even in the last few seasons a lot more people trying to ride park before even knowing how to snowboard. hitting boxes and jumps before having the fundamentals and concept of turning and edging. personally, i welcome this new generation of Mark Mcmorris's! as it was evident in the first supernatural, they will keep out of my pow lines!

it's just different styles of riding evolving as our sport does. i've always been a fan of a nice stable tweaked out grab with small spin and would much rather see a well played out back one stale over a back country booter than a little grom busting out a sloppy cork 7 flail.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It never goes way. Sure, spint-it-to-win-it is more prevalent these days and so the kids are emulating what they see. But there's ALWAYS style about. Remember the last Olympics? Al the hype before the half-pipe was about 1280's, double corks and how many you could do in one run. Then Kazuhiro Kokubo stepped up with a class looking run. Straight airs and lesser spins with stylish grabs, a huge lazy looking method... Stylish as fuck. Yeah, he came nowhere and all the plaudits went to the spinners. But I remember Kokubo's run, and, more importantly, I'm sure he does too.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
it is, supersick..cliff madonnas and all that, victor goes off

i remember way back when skaters and such would give snowboarders shit for grabbing at all, because...why? it's stuck to your feet..things change

i think the future will be a melding is tweaked out superspins, cuz, what else is left, like 2700s, yawn

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive noticed that even in the last few seasons a lot more people trying to ride park before even knowing how to snowboard. hitting boxes and jumps before having the fundamentals and concept of turning and edging. personally, i welcome this new generation of Mark Mcmorris's! as it was evident in the first supernatural, they will keep out of my pow lines!

it's just different styles of riding evolving as our sport does. i've always been a fan of a nice stable tweaked out grab with small spin and would much rather see a well played out back one stale over a back country booter than a little grom busting out a sloppy cork 7 flail.
That is true. A couple years ago someone broke their arm on a 35ft jump and it was rumored that it was only his first or second time snowboarding...
Yeah, they do keep the powder lines cleared up though. It's crazy how everyone thinks you need a park to get creative and progress. There is so much terrain just overlooked... even at the smaller resorts.

It never goes way. Sure, spint-it-to-win-it is more prevalent these days and so the kids are emulating what they see. But there's ALWAYS style about. Remember the last Olympics? Al the hype before the half-pipe was about 1280's, double corks and how many you could do in one run. Then Kazuhiro Kokubo stepped up with a class looking run. Straight airs and lesser spins with stylish grabs, a huge lazy looking method... Stylish as fuck. Yeah, he came nowhere and all the plaudits went to the spinners. But I remember Kokubo's run, and, more importantly, I'm sure he does too.
Kazu is just awesome. He just rips. His riding style stuck with me too. I think the true art of snowboarding comes out when dangerous things are done in a way that make it look easy. No matter how you do a double or triple cork, it's probably not going to look easy. Haha

it is, supersick..cliff madonnas and all that, victor goes off

i remember way back when skaters and such would give snowboarders shit for grabbing at all, because...why? it's stuck to your feet..things change

i think the future will be a melding is tweaked out superspins, cuz, what else is left, like 2700s, yawn

Haha... quadruple cork 1620s. Well, with the direction snowboarding's headed now, it just seems like people are going to keep pushing the limits until the limits push back (i.e. people start dying too often). It will eventually HAVE to calm down a bit I think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i honestly never get tired of people throwing a 360 that seems like they will just float for days.

Triple corks and 1845s are dope, but they looked very rushed. as im sure they have to be

·
Registered
816 Posts
Honestly it's nothing that new, kids will always try big tricks at the cost of style. The only thing that's really changed is that kids are trying for bigger tricks at a younger age due to how crazy progression speed is these days and also that there's a lot more of these kids hucking themselves into big tricks.

If you want style just give them a few years to get past the 'I have to learn this double cork as quickly as possible' stage. Most riders mellow out eventually and start realising the importance of style, it just takes some time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
There was a kid at the park doing the most horrific looking backflips and rodeos the other day, the jump was so small so they were super whipped... The way he rode was so sketchy I was shocked when I saw him do it actually, I though for sure he was a nub and just gonna stright air flail... he def missed the "style" lesson in school. I bet he thought he was pretty rad too.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Don't forget roof gaps. I mean laid out backflips = rad, so if adding a roof gap makes it radder then that means anything over a roof gap = style?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts