Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I looked at this a few weeks ago, but my recollection is the spec on the Korua Apollo is a bit more surfy than the Dart.
I’m thinking that the Dart must have a softer tail and be easier to force into smaller turning radius.

surfier on piste means for me that you can easier change the radius. Maybe.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Have you guys tried the K2 simple pleasures yet? Ive been enjoying mine since last season and I think I do the kind of carving you guys are talking about, sweet board and not too expensive.
I almost bought the 156 yesterday. Too small for my rear boot. Wish they made it a little wider.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I almost bought the 156 yesterday. Too small for my rear boot. Wish they made it a little wider.
I feel like all that taper is probably a factor of the snowsurf feel. More taper decreases tail grip, right? Is this taper inherent to snowsurfing, or is it a side effect of powder boards working fairly well for snowsurf? It's hard to find a directional board with enough width at the back foot.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Taper makes the tail sink easier ofc, shifts the balance in powder, but also makes the nose stiffer and tail softer. It shifts your body position abit, you don't have to lean over so much and it feels slower to enter turns because of the stiffer nose. At the same time and maybe because of this, powder noses are made relatively softer than the tail. Because the tail is softer, you can change the radius, but this sometimes leads to less grip on the tail because you have to balance on a shorter effective edge. The progressive radius towards the tail fixes the grip issue on hardpack, but doesn't necessarily make it "surfier" in powder. Some cambered no taper powder boards were made with stiffer noses and a medium flex towards the tail, and they had the same issue on hardpack.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Taper helps engage the pivot point off the back foot. I’d say it’s a feature of snowsurf decks, but not absolutely required. I’m looking at a few decks with no taper. I will be surfing them in the pipe and on ice. I want taper, but I need grip.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm pretty sure everything in the Gentem and Moss lines have at least some taper. Almost everything in the Korua line (everything except the Otto), everything in the Jones Surf series, I believe everything in the United Shapes line has at least a little taper. The only exception I can think of are a couple Elevated Surfcraft models with reverse taper.

The taper jives nicely with the snowsurf style of riding. The easier tail release makes achieving flowy linked turns a lot easier. Having tried to ride the same way on a pretty normal directional twin... the feel is dramatically different.

·
Registered
997 Posts
So found a brand new k2 overboard for about half off and was intrigued after nivek's review so picked it up, and wow this board carves so good! Seems significantly more damp than the SP, I'm on a 2 week riding trip and can't wait to put more laps on this thing, will try to shoot some footage when I meet up with my carving crew at park city on Friday

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm pretty sure everything in the Gentem and Moss lines have at least some taper. Almost everything in the Korua line (everything except the Otto), everything in the Jones Surf series, I believe everything in the United Shapes line has at least a little taper. The only exception I can think of are a couple Elevated Surfcraft models with reverse taper.

The taper jives nicely with the snowsurf style of riding. The easier tail release makes achieving flowy linked turns a lot easier. Having tried to ride the same way on a pretty normal directional twin... the feel is dramatically different.
I'm with you about the taper, two of the best carving boards I've had both had crazy taper like 40-50mm (sushi and nitro Nuat) it totally changes the feel of turn initiation compared to twinnish boards

·
Registered
39 Posts
So found a brand new k2 overboard for about half off and was intrigued after nivek's review so picked it up, and wow this board carves so good! Seems significantly more damp than the SP, I'm on a 2 week riding trip and can't wait to put more laps on this thing, will try to shoot some footage when I meet up with my carving crew at park city on Friday View attachment 152970
I’m riding an overboard this season. Love it. I was a little nervous about the big nose at first. It’s nimble, it carves, goes fast. Zero complaints.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Me too, I’d always prefer taper IF my boot fits on the backfoot. I’ve measured tons of boards and most don’t work. Need 11 inches across at the innermost rear insert. Most boards are about 10 - 10.5 inches there. Directional twins and decks like the Orca get closer to 11 inches across.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Me too, I’d always prefer taper IF my boot fits on the backfoot. I’ve measured tons of boards and most don’t work. Need 11 inches across at the innermost rear insert. Most boards are about 10 - 10.5 inches there. Directional twins and decks like the Orca get closer to 11 inches across.
Moss Wing Swallow 157. Narrowest point is 11 1/8". Taper of 2.6cm/1"

·
Registered
413 Posts
Damn that is some beautiful information right there ?

atm I am testing low profile boots to see if I can get away with a narrower, cheaper board (Jones), but the 157 Wing Swallow is on my bucket list.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
@Paxford Prior Snowboards Thruster and Legacy as well if you're into the short + fat boards. 149 cm, 28 cm ww, 2.1 cm of taper. I don't have the measurements for the rest of those, though.

@16gkid Yup

·
Registered
454 Posts
For next season I will have these available .
Kijima Taiyaki 8m radius 261 waist zero taper
Kijima Taiyaki 10m radius 288 waist zero taper
Kijima Taiyaki 12m radius 304mm waist zero taper
Kijima Taiyaki 12m radius 322mm waist zero taper

·
Registered
959 Posts
I’m not sold on taper, 2 of my boards have taper and they don’t hang on as well as my non tapered boards on the east coast. They are obviously more surfy though.

241 - 260 of 293 Posts