Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I’m not sold on taper, 2 of my boards have taper and they don’t hang on as well as my non tapered boards on the east coast. They are obviously more surfy though.
I don't like it either. It's like setting up your bindings one to the toe side and one to the heel side. The edge didn't change, only your perception of it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't like it either. It's like setting up your bindings one to the toe side and one to the heel side. The edge didn't change, only your perception of it.
What would be a US brand equivalent to the style of boards you offer?

·
Registered
413 Posts
@Paxford Prior Snowboards Thruster and Legacy as well if you're into the short + fat boards. 149 cm, 28 cm ww, 2.1 cm of taper. I don't have the measurements for the rest of those, though.
Appreciate it, and that is the eternal debate. Having a big foot leads to short fat, but big foot usually means tall, which contradicts short fat. For example, I really like the sizing on the 157 and 161 Optimistic and Yes. The Y. which are more mid-short fat. Shorter than that I start to worry about it limiting me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My Slush Slasher 151 is 11.25 inches wide at the back foot. It is a volume shift however. I don't feel limited on it, but it does have more of a speed limit than my Tailgunner or Pentaquark. I'm tall as well- 6'3". I also downsized in boots from 13 to 11.5 to 11. Made a huge difference in booting out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
@WigMar, It may be that some short fats work for us at 6’3” and some are limiting. I don’t like unintended butters, if that makes sense?

So perhaps a short fat with enough nose and effective edge forward of the front foot will do. I ride a 166 with early rise and it feels pretty small to me.

Went from 11 to 13 while learning and growing up, it ruined my snowboard life. Now I’m going from 12.5 standard footprint to 12 reduced footprint, but that will be the limit of how small I can go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No. I really really don't want to imagine that. That's middle of the night cold sweat type shit right there.
Like when I found some metal pipe under the pow on day 2 of riding my Asym Fish. Almost cried. It was still worth it to ride that day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #273 (Edited)
Wake up out of summer hibernation my snowsurf people. I started this thread a couple years ago while looking at a snoplanks asym fish or the elevated surfcraft goldfish, and ended up going with an Amplid Surfari instead. My main riding partner bought an Amplid Millisurf the previous season and it rode better than anything in his quiver of 10+ more traditional American boards (mostly twins and directional twins with camber or some hybrid) that he bought he surfari last season and wouldn't stop raving about it. To be honest, it is THE best board I've ever ridden, but would consider it more of a freeride carver / pow deck. I've never carved at such high speeds at such a comfort level. It can still carve a bit slower but really excels at 30 to 50 mph. I'm completely sold on SCamber as the best all round profile.

Riding that board 30+ days last season made me a MUCH confident and smooth rider. When I jump back on a different board such as my 148cm Warpig, I ride so much better, but I end up missing the edge hold and confidence at speed of the Amplid. I picked up a 2018 amplid Pentaquark because I couldn't say no to $250, but there is a lot of overlap and they both ride very similarly on groomers. I still enjoy it for groomer days and often let friends borrow it so they can keep up with me on the surfari.

So back to my buddy, he has the means and ended up buying a full quiver of amplid boards and retiring his old quiver, but the season ended early and he still hasn't ridden half of them. He's completely (with good reason) drank the koolaid and loves his amplids. Highly recommend anyone to try them.

Back to me, I'm once again looking at snowsurf style boards for next season because I really want to know if I'm missing something. Not going to splash down a G+ so the moss and gentems are out, but really looking hard at a elevated goldfish. I'm 5'9" 155lbs with my feet now crammed into size 8s (sized down from 9 to 8 last season).

I see some people compare the Goldfish to a gentem rocketfish, and I'd love some feedback from some of you guys who have ridden both. I can pick up a goldfish for ~$625 and wonder if it's worth trying. I'm really looking for the closest experience I can get to a gentem/moss for snowsurf style riding so open to suggestions if I'm off base. I do wish it had a black base now. My surfari looks like it's 5 years old after the repairs I've had to do to the white base.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I moved to the mountains two season ago and bought my first board (after learning to snowboard twenty years ago). I'm looking to get into something with full camber that can rail carves. I've watched a lot of the videos coming out of Japan with their style of riding and it really speaks to me. I enjoy ripping big carves and honestly enjoying playing all over the mountain without just straight-lining and bombing. There's a place for it, but I feel that the magic of the turn is what really gets me. My first step is experimenting with double positive binding angles (never tried them) and seeing how that effects my riding. I do ride a bit of switch, and prefer a board that can at least do it when the need arises (landing switch, easier route through the trees switching over, etc.) I think the perfect board for me would be something that you size down, can still handle speed, can really hold an edge, has a large sidecut that can rail turns, a bigger nose and maybe some early rise to still handle some pow, and can handle a bit of switch riding (buttering/screwing around too). I tend to enjoy shorter wider boards in my limited experience, but I'm not married to them. I don't have enough experience to be sure, but I do know I don't want some super hard charger that is only happy at 50mph.

Stats:
5'9" - 155lbs - 9.5US Boot - Adv. Intermediate / Advanced
So did your preferences change during this time?

I'm thinking maybe you want something with a longer sidecut but that bends a shorter radius when you want it to. Have you tried the Slush Slasher? At least it's easy to pick it up cheaply to try out.

I haven't tried something with a long swallowtail but I'm also thinking that something with a long radius and a bendy tail could be something you want.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
My preferences didn't really change. I'm just a much stronger rider that is comfortable carving at any speed now.

I'm still looking for something of the snowsurf variety to change it up and try a different style. I've been told by a couple people that I should steer away from the goldfish with a size 8 boot to something like the asym fish. I prefer 260+ width boards, but haven't ridden anything wider yet so they may be right.

I've tried a slush slasher, and when the groomers are packed powder it's a fun ride, but not what I'm looking for. I also thought the pow performance / chopped up pow was pretty bad compared to other boards I've ridden unless you're on perfect snow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
I appreciate it, but I've looked at almost all of em out there browsing. Really looking for real life experience on the boards.

261 - 280 of 293 Posts