Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
The asym fish is dope, nothing quite like it so far. I keep trying to figure what I like about it (lots of things), but suspect the main driver is the construction, with the shape and nearly flat camber a close second.

I will be testing the goldfish come winter. By the looks it is very different, quite a bow of camber.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
I worry about the flat camber. My only experience is the warpig and the edge hold just sucks (in comparison to my amplid boards) unless the snow is perfect.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think your Amplids may have spoiled you when the snow gets chopped up. My Pentaquark blows my mind in those conditions. I've never rode another board that feels like that. Most snowsurf boards seem to be on the lively, flexible and soft side of the spectrum. Also, you're going to feel a lot more of the variations in the snow without that antiphase in there smoothing everything over. Maybe one of Amplid's Future shapes line like the Aloha Vibes would be good, but I'm sure you've looked at that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
I think your Amplids may have spoiled you when the snow gets chopped up. My Pentaquark blows my mind in those conditions. I've never rode another board that feels like that. Most snowsurf boards seem to be on the lively, flexible and soft side of the spectrum. Also, you're going to feel a lot more of the variations in the snow without that antiphase in there smoothing everything over. Maybe one of Amplid's Future shapes line like the Aloha Vibes would be good, but I'm sure you've looked at that.
WigMar, yeah I think you're right. I won't say that Amplids are the best boards in the world because I've only ridden ~20 different ones, but they are by far the best I've ever personally ridden. And you're right, antiphase is the first tech that I didn't think was just marketing. I own a 2019 Surfari 27, a 2018 Pentaquark 156 and adding a UNW8 when I can.

My buddy picked up the Aloha Vibes, Dada and a few others. Going to definitely try them out this season.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is Antiphase all good?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Amazing man... I remember I had a Neversummer Swift sitting next to my buddies Surfari on a bucket gondola and the Swift was shaking like crazy while the Surfari wasn't. It definitely stops resonating. Granted, they are different boards and one is hybrid CRC with the other surf camber, but it was very noticable. When I saw it, I had no idea what antiphase even was. He told me about it, I looked it up and found the video below. It's for real.

Demo:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Only the centrifugal series:

• surfari (freeride/groomers/pow)
  • pentaquark (high speed groomer Slayer)
  • unw8 (directional twin)
Their other high end boards have another type of dampening which I'm told is also very good, but not the same tech.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I see some people compare the Goldfish to a gentem rocketfish, and I'd love some feedback from some of you guys who have ridden both. I can pick up a goldfish for ~$625 and wonder if it's worth trying. I'm really looking for the closest experience I can get to a gentem/moss for snowsurf style riding so open to suggestions if I'm off base. I do wish it had a black base now. My surfari looks like it's 5 years old after the repairs I've had to do to the white base.

Thanks in advance!
I’m almost sure @zc1 had some Moss. And he owns a Surfari now
Thanks for the mention, @Yeahti87 I don't get email notifications and just happened to check in on the forum today.

I haven't ridden Gentemstick or Elevated Surfcraft boards at all, but I've ridden a bunch of the boards in the Moss lineup and own a few.

The Moss boards as a whole are unlike anything else that I've ridden. You really need to ride them to see whether any of them would be worth the money to you.

As a whole, they're not the most versatile boards you'll come across, although some (eg. Fluffy) are better than others. They're fun quiver boards. Most are wider than average and on the softer end of the flex scale. Most have very little positive camber, significant setback and a lot of nose rocker. Soft and wide = not wonderful in harder chop, but they're ultimately powder boards that can be ridden elsewhere as well so that's

The C3 and Fluffy are the most fun of the Moss boards that I've tried -- out of the C3, Fluffy, U4, U4 Half, U5, 62 Swallow, 57 Wing Swallow, Jellyfish.

The Fluffy 54 was the most well-rounded of the bunch, IMO, and the only one that I would consider as a 'quiver of one' in their lineup. Coming from anything else it (as well as the U5) will feel very familiar and easy-to-ride in many respects.

The Jellyfish was the most 'Moss-style snowsurf' of the boards that I rode. You can ride the "Moss style" of snow surfing on any board at all, but I found that the jellyfish seemed to give me the most sense of fitting that style of riding (even though I'm very much a novice).

There's nothing that I can say that can properly capture the feeling of riding their boards. They are really 'ride before you buy' boards. Even within the same series the boards ride slightly differently from what I'm told. The 58 vs 62 Swallows, are one example. The 58 has much longer tails than the 62, so it's not just a matter of the 62 being for bigger riders and the 58 being for smaller riders. They're all meant to ride differently, and anyone can ride any board.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts