Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
no different from normal technique: NEVER FULLY FLAT BASE.

NEVER.

EVER.

Even if you are "flat" keeping pressure (not an actual high edge) on toe or heel edge at all times will keep you happy and successful.

True for t-bars, poma lifts, rope tows and flat traverses.

A flat base and a flat base with a pressured edge do the exact same thing except one of them can surprise you with a mustache ride (the bad kind).
I flat base, but keep my knee's bent. Haven't gone down yet unless someone takes me down.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
T-bars can be very humbling. As stated before, relax. Let it pull you, and don't fight with it. I have a buddy that will actually hook it behind his front foot. His local his is all t-bars. I can't, nor would I, do it.
It's the first time I ever hear the idea to ride a t-bar not behind the front leg = between the legs like with a poma.
We've plenty of t-bars, I ride them every day I spend in a resort since 20y with boards, never seen anyone not riding them like that :dunno:

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's the first time I ever hear the idea to ride a t-bar not behind the front leg = between the legs like with a poma.
We've plenty of t-bars, I ride them every day I spend in a resort since 20y with boards, never seen anyone not riding them like that :dunno:
I think you have to have it on your front leg otherwise you'll be fighting it the whole time. He actually brings it down to his foot, by his highback.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
There are two poma lifts up at Beartooth basin, i do not have much problem on the bottom one because the loading area is on a flat surface.The upper part is the bitch one, the loading area is small and it is on an slight angle. The best way i can ride it is to stand at a goofy stance with both feet strapped in and as soon as the disk gets close i grab it, stick in between my legs, then turn or hop to regular stance and away i go. Other boarders do the same but they obviuosly have been doing it for a while and i just copied them:laugh: It is pretty tiring holding on on the rope and staying in balance on the steeper sections.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I think you have to have it on your front leg otherwise you'll be fighting it the whole time. He actually brings it down to his foot, by his highback.
It's not hard at all to ride with it behind you butt. Stand on your board with your front foot strapped in, and have somebody push you on your side just below your butt. Easy! Goofy foot riders go on the left side of the bar, regular go on the right side. Hold the bar with your front foot hand and relax!

I'll take a picture next time I'm at Fernie.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know how to ride tow bars and j-bars. I do what most people do and bring it up and under or lean back on it. I was just amazed at watching my friend dip the bar behind his front binding for hands free tow action. Granted, it was on a steeper bit, but he was hands free.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,172 Posts
Poma - lol never put it between your legs!!! Designed for skiiers. Have it under your armpit. (edit: only ever seen pomas on very flat learner slopes)

T-Bar - Never put it under your armpit, that gets really hard when it's steep. Put an end between your legs so it pulls on your inner thigh. You can do it either way so it works no matter which side you are on. If you struggle, go with a skier, snowboarders often take each other out...

And flat line them both, use an edge to steer when needed.

Speaking from experience here, I'm the only person I know who has both broken a T-bar off the wire and also popped the entire poma cable from the gear :( Those were black days...

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
...He actually brings it down to his foot, by his highback.
Ok, not I get it. Well now, that's a strange way to use them...

Funny to go through this thread and see the strange ideas/ways of how to ride a T-bar when it actually would be pretty simple and easy: hind foot unstrapped, bar between legs, flat, let it just drag. Like this, hands are free to have a smoke, clean goggles, or whatever, the hind leg will keep the bar in position when the track has parts which point downwards and the board gets faster than the lift, and you can bend down to adjust bindings/boots while on the lift without loosing the bar - which could be hard if you hold it with your arms or behind the butt.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Actually maybe this is from my skier days (first lift I ever rode was a t-bar), but I find it easy to just put the thing behind my butt and go. T-bars are easy, button/platter lifts are a little harder on a board. Jam the platter as far up your ass as you can. I actually bring my back foot up against my front foot to ease the pressure off the steepest sections.

The platter at Louise has one part that is pretty close to 45 degrees... Fun stuff!

Damn why wouldn't this run have a chair. I can't imagine a Tbar up that bad boy. Effort not worth the reward here....

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Damn why wouldn't this run have a chair. I can't imagine a Tbar up that bad boy. Effort not worth the reward here....
Yep, it's actually steeper than that picture makes it look! It's a thigh burner for sure, but it accesses some of the best powder at Louise, so it's worth it! Plus it keeps all the noobs away. You know that anybody that makes it to the top has to at least have SOME clue. :D

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
... You know that anybody that makes it to the top has to at least have SOME clue. :D
...and strong adductors :)
I don't care about t-bars at all, but not keen on pomas cos they're exhausting in steeps. That lift you showed is a great filter indeed.

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
2,172 Posts
The pomas I've used have this solid pole sticking out from the circle of plastic which then is attached to the rope, so if you stick it between your legs the pole pulls you in a rotation. You would have to hold an edge the whole way to counteract it!

But yeah if a poma is on steep terrain for some odd reason then underarm would be hard work...

·
Registered
68 Posts
The pomas I've used have this solid pole sticking out from the circle of plastic which then is attached to the rope, so if you stick it between your legs the pole pulls you in a rotation. You would have to hold an edge the whole way to counteract it!

But yeah if a poma is on steep terrain for some odd reason then underarm would be hard work...
Must be a different type of poma then. The only type of poma which I've encountered has a kink before the button which curves round you're front leg so it hooks behind your front leg.

Some random pic I found online.

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Seb has been riding in the park this season, and loved the jump at the bottom which has a drag lift, he would just ride up strapped in holding on the the pima with one hand and he is 8, i found it weird to watch, but loads of the kids where doing it as it is only 200 metres to drop in, so they just went round and round in circles, if they wanted to go higher they would put between the legs, but he could get up holding it with no issue...

I guess not weighing anything helps a lot... ;) I tried and couldn't do it...!!!

21 - 40 of 81 Posts