Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....I hear something that almost made me laugh out loud. I'm on the gondola at Killington (popular and well known New England resort). 8 of us in there. 5 skiers and 3 boarders. Mixed crowd. So the two people to my left are together and having a conversation about skiing, where they've been recently and other misc stuff. I happen to catch that the guy, much older gentleman mentions something to the affect that he went to Mad River and was suggesting to the woman he was talking to that she goes. He then says they dont allow boarders there to which she replies, "Oh yeah!?! Now I like that. Thats great to me". Now the young man still somewhere inside me silently said, "F**k both yall. Hating on us because we slide down a hill sideways. So what!?!?" But the grown man I am I just stayed silent. But thats not the funny part.
So he continues on to say this, "Yeah. And you know I was talking to my friend who works in the industry and he told me that snowboarding is on a decline. Its phasing itself out. Seems the whole thing was just a phase and its going away now. All the kids are going back to skis now. It was like a clique within a sub-culture and its fading away. So soon we wont be seeing them anymore".

Now at that point I am bubbling inside. With everything in me I wanted to look at him and say, "That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Your friend is either clueless or an idiot". But I digressed and allowed them their ignorance. But had to share this with the forum

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
That's pretty comical, to a certain extent.

There was an instructor at the hill I work at that told his international student that snowboarding was "bad", while standing at the top of the hill that was populated by 3-5 year olds who then proceeded to go out of his way to be as big of a dick as possible to the snowboarding instructors who were trying their best to keep the kids under control. I have a bad temper and ended up getting snarky right back in his face in front of everyone... Oops.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Aside from the hate, there may be something to what he says. There used to be a lot of activities (park, pipe, slope style, etc.) that were exclusivly the domain of boarders only a few years ago. Nowadays, twin tip skiers are all over that stuff. Seems to me that more "new" kids are riding skis than boards

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut. I honestly don't understand the skiier vs snowboarder mentality.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
Aside from the hate, there may be something to what he says. There used to be a lot of activities (park, pipe, slope style, etc.) that were exclusivly the domain of boarders only a few years ago. Nowadays, twin tip skiers are all over that stuff. Seems to me that more "new" kids are riding skis than boards
lmfao.

none of that stuff would even exist if it wasn't for snowboarding.

everything skiing is today has been bit from snowboarding. there would be no rails, boxes, park kickers, halfpipes, hell there would be no parks period. no twin tip skis or fatties. if it wasn't for snowboarding skiing would still be all spandex and gates. they owe their entire modern ski culture to snowboarding.

we created it despite them.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would have spoken up, just to stick up for myself. If they were speaking deliberately loud enough for you to hear their conversation, then that's a complete and utter sign of disrespect and shows a lack of class. I would've been inclined to say something, albeit I would have done it tactfully just to show them how wrong they are about our "subculture".

But since I'm on here and they can't hear me, fuck those ignorant assfucks.

·
Land of the Potato
1,228 Posts
I would have let them know that soon they will be too old and frail to ride the mountain and will die off soon enough, and that hopefully by that time the snow sports industry will be rid of all of the bigoted ass hats still locked into the 1980s mentality of skiing vs boarding. some people:icon_scratch:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I would have let them know that soon they will be too old and frail to ride the mountain and will die off soon enough, and that hopefully by that time the snow sports industry will be rid of all of the bigoted ass hats still locked into the 1980s mentality of skiing vs boarding. some people:icon_scratch:
i wouldve just laughed out loud, looked at everyone else inside that gondola, then say "that's just the dumbest and funniest bullsht i've heard all season!" then i wouldve mocked them the rest of the ride up by repeating their voice/accent/words in a funny manner to get them pissed off the same way they got me and everyone else.

IMHO, ignorant ppl like that are usually spoiled and dont have good manners anyway. i'm generally quiet and respectful, but it doesnt make sense for me to be courteous to people that do not deserve my good side.

i WISH i was there with you in that gondola.

·
Registered
786 Posts
A couple of my friends ski, and that's fine, I tried it and it's not my thing. It really does rub me the wrong way when skiers complain about snowboarders messing up trails. Like wedging the entire way down like many skiers do doesn't? Quit being so judgmental and enjoy the mountain skiers. My friends and I love to tease each other about which is better though, and sometimes people listening will actually get pissed!

·
Registered
982 Posts
"Yeah. And you know I was talking to my friend who works in the industry and he told me that snowboarding is on a decline. Its phasing itself out. Seems the whole thing was just a phase and its going away now. All the kids are going back to skis now. It was like a clique within a sub-culture and its fading away. So soon we wont be seeing them anymore".
well... this is partly true.. just over embellished.
the past few years snowboarding sales have gone down ( at least in my shop and other local shops and from what region reps say) while skiing being a bit more consistant. he must be getting his information from that.

He just decided to add to his friends info. saying its "a phase" is silly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would have acted all crazy by asking myself happy questions then giving contradicting answers to myself angrily out loud while talking about evil skiers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These posts are hilarious. Reading some of the things yall are saying does make me wish I said something. At least a little bit. He must have caught me on a real good day while I was in a really good mood because typically I LOVE to debate and I'd have jumped all over that one.

And I hear what you are saying zk0ot but I think that's normal to a certain extent. Every industry has its fluctuations but this guy thinking that lower sales means he would ever be rid of us is just comical.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I decided I wanted to get into snowboarding, the first thing my brother who is a 3x a year skier said, "Snowboarding is dead". Mind you, he's 41, I'm 32. I laughed in his face and asked him his point, which he didn't answer then proceeded to give me a dumb sentence about how snowboarders ruin runs with their boards. I did physically face palm and said wtf is it to you? You ski like 3x a year on blues only!

Anyways, who cares if its on the decline. It had to drop, the amount of growth snowboarding has had in the past 20 years is insane! Its still popular and even if no one else did it, I wanna ride my board because I enjoy doing it, not because its cool or the trendy thing to do right now. I've played tennis since I was 5 yrs old. Played competitively as a junior, played prize money tournaments and now coach professionally. That sport has had a ton of ups and downs, from the huge boom in the 70's to a low point in the 90's. Now its back up again, just the way it is.

Snowboarding is fine, and yes snowboarding saved skiing and ski resorts and helped introduce carving skis in the early 90's. Those fuckers should shut up, next time you hear someone talk idiotic like that just remind them where their carving skis came from, that'll shut them up real quick.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,039 Posts
Y'know what? I went on a diet and lost 10 lbs my first month and 10 lbs my second month. At that rate I'll weight nothing at all by next season and be able to float around the room!

People who extend trends linearly without thinking it through have a screw loose. Yeah, there's been some adjustments to the ratios. Mostly because, as someone pointed out, all the stuff that snowboarding invented has bled over to the skiing community. That adjustment might proceed a few percent more, then it'll stabilize. If for no other reason than that the less common snowboarding might become, the more counter-culture it would appear, and therefore become popular again. There's a feedback mechanism in place, and barring some major change (like duals becoming popular :huh: ) nothing's going to change that significantly.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Some may not share my point of view but I would much rather prefer snowboarding to not be so mainstream, as skiing (that'll never happen anyways) and stick more to its roots.

·
Registered
616 Posts
this is why you wear earbuds on the gondi and/or don't ride on weekends.

Seriously. The amount of stupid crap and egotistical dick waving I've heard both on the gondi and in the lift line is just.....enough to make me want to :unsure::dunno::giggle::dizzy: all at the same time. Maybe it has to do with where I ride, Mammoth, which is 98% so cal douchbags, maybe it's because I seem to attract freaks like moth to a flame in all areas of my life. I dunno...but if I got angry with every jerk I encountered in the lift line/gondi Id be angry most of the time I snowboard. :laugh:

I do not give a fuck what is or isn't popular. I do what I want. fuck everyone else. Let haters hate, they usually make themselves look like idiots in the process.

·
Registered
909 Posts
"You know I heard, old pig headed skiers like you are dying out... because they are old and that's what old people do. But in the meantime please take your decrepit freinds with you to that mountain so we don't have to put up with you here anymore..."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts