Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Is the 163w typo too big for 155lbs/70kg 6.1/185cm guy?

• Yes, try to get another one, it will be like steering a ship.

• Give it a go, might work.

• It’s fine quit moaning and get riding.

• I just want to see the results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have been riding for quite a few years now, but I never had board growing up. I would always get one from here and there. A few days back I decided that I would purchuse my first board and went for a yes typo. The guys in my local shop were very helpful. When he gave me the board I asked back if it was for sure the right size form me. He reassured me that it is. I am around 70kgs or 155 lbs to our friends across the pond. 185 cm / 6.1 with a 10.5us 9.5uk 44eur boot size. I have a 163w board now. Is that too big? Should I go back and try complaining or is that going to be fine? I don’t see myself buying another board in the near future, so it would be essential to get the right board. Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Ben
ps: I don’t ride park, mostly groomers, but like to have fun and hit some smaller features from time to time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your “helpful” shop guy was just trying to make a sale/commission…at all costs. Especially if you paid full retail.

You’re not even in the recommend weight range of the board he sold you.

If you paid like 50% off, then maybe you can compromise with steering a boat…but sounds like they sold you something without any care on how it suits you best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your replies. I emailed them, the owner said that they have a smaller but wouldn’t recommend it. He said he is 170 lbs and 6.2 and rides a 165. This shop is regarded as kind of the best in my city. I paid 315usd for a new 21/22 season yes typo. I have no idea how they could recommend something so different than the sizing chart.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So he says he rides a 165, just referencing some random board he rides? Because the typo doesn’t come in a 165 to my knowledge. You could ride the 163w but it will be like a big, stiff freeride/Pow gun sort of board. Which is not the sort of board the typo is meant to be. If you were biased toward tricks and messing around I’d say 156, if you’re biased toward a little more speed and stability I’d say 159w maybe, or just put you on the 158 to hit the sweet spot. but I wouldn’t be able to recommend the 163.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thank you for all your replies. I emailed them, the owner said that they have a smaller but wouldn’t recommend it. He said he is 170 lbs and 6.2 and rides a 165. This shop is regarded as kind of the best in my city. I paid 315usd for a new 21/22 season yes typo. I have no idea how they could recommend something so different than the sizing chart.
Sounds like he is just trying to convince you to keep a hard to move board, that they finally found a sucker to buy. What the owner rides has no bearing on what you will enjoy riding based on your weight and experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really appreciate every comment! I will be bringing the board back it back for sure. I am from Budapest I just live in Austria temporarily. I thought I was going crazy. I will update you how it goes. Let this be a lesson to everyone who assumes that only because it’s a small shop with friendly staff, they are also going to be fair. You guys rock!

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
I really appreciate every comment! I will be bringing the board back it back for sure. I am from Budapest I just live in Austria temporarily. I thought I was going crazy. I will update you how it goes. Let this be a lesson to everyone who assumes that only because it’s a small shop with friendly staff, they are also going to be fair. You guys rock!
Buz meg... lol
Yeah Im 200lbs and have a 63 Excavator and its super wide... It's almost too much board for me. Exchanging it is definitely the right choice.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Just ask him to explain his reasoning and why he knows better than YES in regards to sizing their boards. you could always flick Yes a message also and let them know your specs, type of riding etc and see what they come back with and then put that in front of the shop guy and ask for a please explain.

Good board choice - sounds like you just ran into a prick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts