Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd be surprised if most of that gear isn't more of a placebo in regards to off snow training, in fact I'm curious whether it might even introduce bad habits.
It definitely isn't, but you need to have the right expectations. It creates muscle memory for a part of the tricks, doesn't teach whole tricks. For example, the last summer I trained in trampoline once a week with the SA tramp board, and my ability to grab improved significantly this winter. I can see that I have a muscle memory created for various tweaked grab positions, so once I get to the air, I can arrange myself to the right position very quickly (something I wasn't able to do before). On the other hand, I've had some strong bad habits when it comes to approaching the jumps and take-off and trampoline training didn't help me with those at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd be surprised if most of that gear isn't more of a placebo in regards to off snow training, in fact I'm curious whether it might even introduce bad habits.
I don't know and I don't care. This year I can't go snowboarding due to covid rules, so this is my only option. It is someway fun, so why not.
Given my current level of snowboarding (very low), I honestly doubt I will ever be able to do on the snow anything related to what I am trying to learn at home.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Those nose & tail press are winning over me. Board does not lift, not even 10cm as they say in video of snowboard addiction, even when I try only to shift my weight.
I suppose I could take some pictures or videos to get some comments over here...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Gotta remember that the snowboard addiction stuff is toys, and doing presses and stuff on a camber board needs some speed to be easy. Maybe you can make it easier by moving bindings towards the tips, or strapping pillows under the board or whatever.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thanks @Rip154. Recently I moved bindings towards the tips, as I think they were too narrow for me. I still want to increase binding angles to a more ducked position, because I feel my feet pressing in that direction. I think I will move from a +12/-12 to a +15/-15.
Anyway, I got your point. I will try to do correct movements, without considering how much I am lifting the board from the floor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Those nose & tail press are winning over me. Board does not lift, not even 10cm as they say in video of snowboard addiction, even when I try only to shift my weight.
I suppose I could take some pictures or videos to get some comments over here...
You could record a video and see if you cannot spot any issues yourself by comparing to the SA videos. It's good to train your eyes this way. Of course, if you cannot spot what the problem could be, feel free to post it here.

Regarding the presses itself, I've noticed that besides following the basic instructions like shifting your weight/hips over the nose or tail, it helps to straighten your other leg. For example, in the nose press, the front leg is bent and the rear leg is straightened and the knee is locked. Without locking your knee, the knee joint can still move and it's harder to control tension needed to lift the board.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok, yestarday I increased the angle of my duck stance even more than what I expected and it worked a little better. I compared my picture to a frame of snowoard addiction video and I was able to fix my position. Mainly the upper body was not so well positioned.
Now it is time to level up: do it while jumping!

@lbs123, not sure I got what you mean by "knee is locked up".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ah thanks, I was blaming my English skills for not understading, instead it was due to missing knowledge in anatomy of movement :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
139 Posts
TBH, I wasn't aware of that particular mechanism which they describe at Quora either, only had a vague idea that knee somehow locks :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Tonight I will try to do nose/tail press while jumping.
Btw this is the best I can do :eek:
cropped.jpeg

Forgive my untied boot, usually I tie both of them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's a nice looking nosepress, I don't think you would have to lift the tail any further. On the snow or a box and while moving this would look really cool.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@lbs123, I hope you are not just being nice in your comment!
Last evening I tried nose tail press, penguin walks and 50-50 on my home made cardboard rail. Well, now it is more a box than a rail, but it will grow taller and narrower as soon as I do more trianing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go skateboard and wakeboard. All those exercises are great for strength but nothing gets the right muscles going like similar sports. And you’ll develop style witch is something most people don’t have. Trampolines are insane for strengthening too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I wish I could, @Matías. I don't really think I can get space for another sport in my life now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Today I raised my fake balance bar to 10 height, while narrowing it to 17 cm width. Definitely more challenging: I tried jumping 50-50 on it and nose tail press on top of it. I need more training as I am scared when jumping, but I see progression :)
Every video I watch in snowboard addiction I think that I will not be able to do anything like that. Then I try and it seems that I slowly succeed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok, same setup, same exercises of 2 days ago are still difficult. I need more training.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yesterday I had a good result: I was able to jump backwards and stay balanced on my rail many times in a row. I was almost going to give up, so it happened exactly at the right time.
Stay tuned for new updates :LOL:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts