Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Jones Mountain Twin 161W last year, and while it has some great aspects, I find it a little too stiff and am looking to buy something a little softer yet still able to tackle the whole mountain (east coast). Any suggestions?

Additional info:
  • 6'3", 180 lbs, size 11.5 boot
  • I ride the whole mountain, mostly carving with moderate speed, but also like to mess around occasionally with presses, smaller jumps and rails.
  • Intermediate level, riding 15+ years. Coming from 156 all mountain freestyle board (Capita Photofetish), which didn't really have noticed toe drag, but was convinced to move to a wide based on boot size.

What I liked about Mountain Twin (and hopefully retain):
  • Great edge hold, didn't slip out on crusty/icy conditions
  • Could handle some speed well without chatter and carving
  • Smooth riding overall

Aspects I'd like to improve:
  • The board was rather stiff and had trouble pressing (ie I couldn't hold it). I'm looking for a little more forgiveness/ability to press and occasionally mess around
  • Turns were sluggish and required a decent amount of effort

·
Registered
616 Posts
1. Measure your feet if they really are 11,5 US. Probably you run too big boots like most of us early on.

2. If your feet are indeed 11,5 then size down to 158W. If they are smaller and as you apparently don’t carve hard (Capita with a 251 mm waist in 11,5 US and you report no issue with the toe drag) you can size down to 160. Wide boards are stiffer than their regular versions anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Going from a 156 to 161W it’s going to feel slower, bulkier, and less nimble. That’s not the boards fault. If you didn’t have any problem on a 251mm waist width then I would go with a standard 158-160 board that is over 255ww. Actually the new Jones mountain twin has a 160 with a 257 WW. The 3d base will make this board feel lighting fast, more nimble, and still be enough boArd to be stable. The 2020 Capita DOA 158 wide is only 260mm wide, so that’s really a MW. There’s tons of boards out there. The Bataleon Evil twin may be an option at 159 and 256WW. It is more freestyle skewed and has 3bt, good edge hold but the 3bt makes it feel a little looser and more maneuverable. I have it and love it, check out AngrySnowBoarders review. Also 40% off right now(as are most boards)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I knew the increase in size and waist width would have its effects, but the increase in stiffness was something that I never learned to like and was too much for me. Cutting a little back on either would certainly help a little, but I feel a move to something a little more forgiving would maybe more fun for what I have in mind. Those are some good board suggestions, thank you! Hoping to take advantage of spring sales and find that balance of keeping edge hold on ice yet still playful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually the new Jones mountain twin has a 160 with a 257 WW. The 3d base will make this board feel lighting fast, more nimble, and still be enough boArd to be stable.
I don’t think Mountain Twin has their 3D base, does it? It’s not listed on the page hyping up their 3D boards, and it’s not mentioned in descriptions of the Mountain Twin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There boards r a joke as far as their width. 25.9 wide ,that’s stupid. Boot out city on every turn. Get with the program u monkeys 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🤪🤪🤪🤪🏂🏂🏂🏂

·
Registered
221 Posts
There boards r a joke as far as their width. 25.9 wide ,that’s stupid. Boot out city on every turn. Get with the program u monkeys 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🤪🤪🤪🤪🏂🏂🏂🏂
I guess you are referring to the 156W? It looks like their WIDE versions aren’t overly wide, but certainly right on par with industry standard

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess you are referring to the 156W? It looks like their WIDE versions aren’t overly wide, but certainly right on par with industry standard
If you like to get low and carve deep the "industry standard" force you to run high angles if you do not want to boot out with 10+ size boots :mad:

Donek and Coiler are great boards but they're expensive ! Then again I'm trying to save money for a Coiler Slice with 29 cm width at the inserts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea I guess it’s all how u look at things. Your right higher angles. The COILER SOUNDS LIKE A NICE BOARD. also yes again DONEKS R EXPENSIVE 😳. Or do like I have 1/2 risers under the bindings. They help a lot🤙🏻 The flip side running a 33 plus waist is ridiculous. That is just a ego thing imo. a money and promotional thing that’s all , totally unnecessary 🤪🤪🏂. It’s hard finding exactly all the dimensions your looking for in a board, I guess just get as close as possible. getting exactly a what u want is nice tho. That means custom and more money😩😩🏂. Anyone getting any runs in? I’ve been hiking up the mountain. Snow is still good 🤙🏻🤪🏂

·
Registered
170 Posts
ZeMax What kind of DONEK R U LOOKING AT GETTING ? I had an incline
I had an Axxess, an FCII and FCII metal at one point. Tried the Knapton Twin, carved like a dream ! I believe the Knapton Twin was based of the incline. Send Sean an email.

Fell in love with a Coiler Slice. Coiler is around 900 CAD. Donek comes to little over 1200 CAD.

Now if I was an americain I'd look at Coiler with that strong Dollard of yours.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got a Jones Mountain Twin 161W last year, and while it has some great aspects, I find it a little too stiff and am looking to buy something a little softer yet still able to tackle the whole mountain (east coast). Any suggestions?

Additional info:
  • 6'3", 180 lbs, size 11.5 boot
  • I ride the whole mountain, mostly carving with moderate speed, but also like to mess around occasionally with presses, smaller jumps and rails.
  • Intermediate level, riding 15+ years. Coming from 156 all mountain freestyle board (Capita Photofetish), which didn't really have noticed toe drag, but was convinced to move to a wide based on boot size.
What I liked about Mountain Twin (and hopefully retain):
  • Great edge hold, didn't slip out on crusty/icy conditions
  • Could handle some speed well without chatter and carving
  • Smooth riding overall
Aspects I'd like to improve:
  • The board was rather stiff and had trouble pressing (ie I couldn't hold it). I'm looking for a little more forgiveness/ability to press and occasionally mess around
  • Turns were sluggish and required a decent amount of effort
Yes Standard. Angry spoke highly of it in his review.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone ever try a knapton twin? Was looking for some non bias feed back. Some who is not promoting that company

·
Registered
398 Posts
Anyone ever try a knapton twin? Was looking for some non bias feed back. Some who is not promoting that company
I've never heard bad about Donek. It will be custom made, so you're in control of the specs/design. That's why you're paying 2-3x what you'd pay for something off the shelf.

·
Registered
398 Posts
U think it’s worth the extra $ 🏂
Unfortunately, that's a choice you have to make. If you want something unique that the mainstream makers aren't providing, then it's probably worth it. Lets say you spend an extra $500 and keep the board for 5 years, that's only $100/yr for your snowboarding enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts